Your favorite Gin-based cocktails ...

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

contempt4gravy
Souse
Souse

Re: Your favorite Gin-based cocktails ...

Post by contempt4gravy »

I don't drink gin often, but when I do it's G&T's: 50/50 or 60/40 if I buy the good stuff. Fresh lime is essential. After that, I will take a dirty martini - dirty as hell and chilled so cold it makes my teeth angry.
There are those who look upon some of my more unsavory habits and call them the cries for help of a problem drinker. I prefer to think of them as the charming misadventures of a dashing rogue.

PFrank

Post by PFrank »

Damn, a dirty martini, haven't had one in ages, but its damn time.

Crystal
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by Crystal »

How have I not replied to this yet? The Crystalolly of course! 1/2 Gin, 1/2 Cider. Otherwise, G&T.
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
GFYCMD- Go Fuck Yourself, Captain Mike Davis.

binary
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by binary »

The Last Word. Seriously, its great. Gin, Maraschino Liqueur, Lime Juice, equal parts. Shaken, strained, delicious.

binary
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by binary »

I fucked up. One of those equal parts should be green Chartreuse.

The Goat
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by The Goat »

Martini, dry as hell. Although lately I've been sipping gin neat, or with an ice cube or two. Very few people seem to actually appreciate gin as a spirit in it's own right, rather than just something to throw in a cocktail. I say lose all that extra shit and just drink good gin the way it was intended. You think they were putting stuff in their gin back in the 1700s?
"If we take habitual drunkards as a class, their heads and their hearts will bear an advantageous comparison with those of any other class. There seems ever to have been a proneness in the brilliant and warm-blooded to fall in to this vice." - Abraham Lincoln in an address to the Washington Temperance Society in 1842

MeanOldLady
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by MeanOldLady »

perfectly pickled wrote:gimlet - gin and roses lime cordial
i came here to say gimlet, by which i meant gin, thismuch sugar and a squeeze of lime, but there seems to be some disagreement over whether or not roses's should be involved. i don't go in for rose's, but to each his own.

aside from that, my other gin cocktail is the greyhound. must contain good grapefruit juice, or else perfectly good gin has gone to waste. ah, it is summer again. 90 degrees in chicago. welcome back, gin weather!
"Vodka is the Harry Potter of Booze, fun at first but ultimately unsatisfying and made for children." -The Lush

"If you can't trust the inner monkey, who can you trust?" -F. Sott Blitzedgerald

"this thread should be called WEAK drunk pics. more people should be bloody and passed out" -old crow

beerkegbilly
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God
Location: in a hollow of a tree or in a wishing well but alway on my pot of gold really Penna USA

Post by beerkegbilly »

straight gin on ice with lemon and lime twist.

The Goat
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by The Goat »

MeanOldLady wrote:
perfectly pickled wrote:gimlet - gin and roses lime cordial
i came here to say gimlet, by which i meant gin, thismuch sugar and a squeeze of lime, but there seems to be some disagreement over whether or not roses's should be involved. i don't go in for rose's, but to each his own.

aside from that, my other gin cocktail is the greyhound. must contain good grapefruit juice, or else perfectly good gin has gone to waste. ah, it is summer again. 90 degrees in chicago. welcome back, gin weather!
I just wanted to let you know that I thought of your post when I was thinking about what to drink today. I am currently enjoying some gin and grapefruit juice, made with 100% white grapefruit juice. What's your definition of "good grapefruit juice"?
"If we take habitual drunkards as a class, their heads and their hearts will bear an advantageous comparison with those of any other class. There seems ever to have been a proneness in the brilliant and warm-blooded to fall in to this vice." - Abraham Lincoln in an address to the Washington Temperance Society in 1842

Miklo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Miklo »

beerkegbilly wrote:straight gin on ice with lemon and lime twist.
That or sometimes Ill make a gin ricky, 4:1 gin to club soda.
“And in my mind, this settles the issue. I would never drink cologne, and am therefore not an alcoholic.”
― Augusten Burroughs

slipperyyoke
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by slipperyyoke »

Besides all the great suggestions by my fellow drunkards; Gin and Ginger ale has served me well for many years. Gin with some coconut water and a dash of bitters over ice is another favorite. Cheers.
The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

MeanOldLady
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by MeanOldLady »

The Goat wrote:I just wanted to let you know that I thought of your post when I was thinking about what to drink today. I am currently enjoying some gin and grapefruit juice, made with 100% white grapefruit juice. What's your definition of "good grapefruit juice"?
freshly squeezed is best. i'm not up on my grapefruit juice brands, so i cannot recommend a particular product. after some effort trying new store-bought grapefruit juices, i gave up the idea of becoming a connoisseur. i've since taken to buying grapefruit and squeezing juice into the gin myself. even as a lazy ass, i'll put in some effort into a good drink. in my old age, i've become increasingly lazy about many things, but a hell of a lot less lazy when it comes to what is important. if i do come across an excellent grapefruit juice, i will be sure (if i can remember) to let you know. for now, fresh is what i suggest.

i will say definitively, brandwise, avoid ruby red at all costs. i spent many years believing i didn't like grapefruit at all because of their cursed product.
"Vodka is the Harry Potter of Booze, fun at first but ultimately unsatisfying and made for children." -The Lush

"If you can't trust the inner monkey, who can you trust?" -F. Sott Blitzedgerald

"this thread should be called WEAK drunk pics. more people should be bloody and passed out" -old crow

Catroaster
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by Catroaster »

In Victorian times they put gin in tea, which worked surprisingly well, but I have to go for the classic gin and bitter lemon. Schweppes bitter lemon - if you've spent £25 on a (admittedly very big) bottle of gin then spending £3.60 on decent bitter lemon is a worthwhile sacrifice.

Jose Beam
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by Jose Beam »

I have felt unfair to gin, being that it is the first hard liquor I really enjoyed and that I never stock it in my cabinet. I usually stick to bourbon, vodka, rum(s), and plastic rotgut whiskey. After reading this thread I will stock som gin. I'll make sure to buy lots of...uhhh tonic and limes. That's just the way I've always liked it anyhoo.

PS: Those rappers... They know their gin!
I can't be your kind, and you can't be mine. Cos I've got wine... on my mind... all the time. -Johnny Paycheck

PFrank

Post by PFrank »

Jose Beam wrote:PS: Those rappers... They know their gin!
Evidently. "Roll'n down the street ..."