Another Solo Mission - Drinking alone? Post here!

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Artful Drunktective »

Hugh wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:19 pm

But the pain is eased by solo drinking. It's 7 PM and the sun is hidden by buildings and trees to the west, within minutes it will be dark. It'll be me, the wine glass, and a single lamp in the corner.
And you've got Montaigne. Sounds like a nice cozy evening.
Okole maluna!

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Made it to the end of another workweek. What I usually like to do in the solitude of my room on this night is drink Hamm's on an empty stomach. Tonight it's gonna be Ten High on an empty stomach. I'm to wound up to care about burning a hole in my gut.

The supervisor came to me today and said he needs me to come in on my day off next week. I blew up. The reason he needs me to come in is because he's short handed, yes. But why is he short handed? Because he has an insane attendance policy, allowing a minimum of 17 call offs per employee per year - that's just the ones that do not require a doctor's note. Then there's the hiring policy - they only attempt to hire one person per opening. Of course, 2 out of 3 quit, so he's always short handed. Then there's the onboarding policy - it takes a month to do background check and drug testing, and it's just low level warehouse work.

I told him that I don't want to be held responsible for all his insanity. He correctly pointed out that it isn't *his* insanity, it's company policy from higher up. I replied that it is him standing in front of me right now asking me to give up my day off, but I'd be happy to go in the office and tell it to the higher ups on the phone if he'd like. I was told I could keep my day off.

I do NOT want to tell him no. Just like I don't want him to tell me no if I should have to ask for something. But these attendance and hiring policies are insane, and I will not allow myself to be held responsible for them.

I rarely ever NEED a drink to wind down. But I do tonight. I'm sure I'm doing the right thing here, but I wish I didn't have to. I know he's in a bad position. But I can't allow myself to be punished for it.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

LOL - I haven't eaten in 11 hours and I've been running around in a hot warehouse loading trucks all day. That first sip of bourbon made me burp loud enough to shake the walls.

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

Hugh wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:26 am
I do NOT want to tell him no. Just like I don't want him to tell me no if I should have to ask for something.
Yeah. I'm so much of a sucker that I always tell them, "Sure!" Then I convince myself that it's worth it because of the money.
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

More reasons why I quit my job. I had to get my monthly our count full so I had to do the shit jobs and jump-ins
Drink!

RIPT2.0
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by RIPT2.0 »

I haven't worked in 5 years, so I'm over that shit. The only thing that pisses me off these days are local politics. I get drawn into that on Facefart. WTF was I thinking?

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

I snapped at one of my Facebook/real-life friends when he posted some political bullshit on one of my posts. He's been a little standoffish to me ever since then. I don't roll around in the Facebook political mud and I don't allow anyone to sling it on my Facebook page.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Guess whose birthday it is today? Every drunkard's favorite poet, Charles Bukowksi, would have been 99 today. Apparently, there is a big party down in New Orleans today. A poet that I follow on Facebook is down there for it. Back in the 60's there was a magazine/press down in NOLA that used publish Bukowski. I guess he's still loved down there. If there are any events in LA today, I haven't heard about it. I guess next year will be an even bigger celebration. I'm celebrating that way he would have - alone in a room with my booze.

It's only 4:30 in the afternoon here, I hope I'm not starting too early. I've had a craving to go to the bars all day today. If I get drunk too early, I might head out there and join the people. I need my inner strength to stay home tonight.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

After having such a good year getting a lot of acceptances for my own poetry, I recently just hit a string of rejections. I'd been having all these fantasies about book contracts, money, awards. The rejections put me back in my place.

Bukowski often said he liked Auden's poetry. I checked Auden's collected poems from the library today and so far I haven't found one that's worth a shit. Most of them are silly little rhymers. But the damb thing's 700 pages, surely I'll find something good in here.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Don`t let that little bumb in the road fuck you.

You're doing fine.

Carry on, enjoy your work!

Drink
Drink!

RIPT2.0
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by RIPT2.0 »

Here's a poem for you Huge
Because you need to get a clue
All you need to do
Is be you Huge

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Post by Rye and Coke »

Sammy wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:06 pm
Here's a poem for you Huge
Because you need to get a clue
All you need to do
Is be you Huge
That's goddamn beautiful.

I, on the other hand, am going out tonight. Alone. There are some MMA fights I want to catch and I can watch them for free at my local Buffalo Wild Wings. It's a little bit of a walk, but I don't think driving is something I'm going to be able to do tonight.

In fact, I think I'm going to go by my new dive discovery, have a couple of drinks, and then finish things up by skating by my old favorite and asking what I did wrong the last time I was there. (I swear I did something 86 worthy.)

It's going to be one of those nights. I'm going to try and take notes.

Time to go.

As my old hero Opus the Penguin once said: "Into the abyss."
"They told me to see the glass half full cause some see it as half empty
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Aw fuck. I can't believe I just clicked on a Facebook ad and ordered Grubhub delivery from Taco Bell. This is why me generation will never be able to retire.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Why why why what`s rong with you all
Drink!

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Post by Rye and Coke »

Rye and Coke wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:55 pm

In fact, I think I'm going to go by my new dive discovery, have a couple of drinks, and then finish things up by skating by my old favorite and asking what I did wrong the last time I was there. (I swear I did something 86 worthy.)

It's going to be one of those nights. I'm going to try and take notes.

Time to go.

As my old hero Opus the Penguin once said: "Into the abyss."
Well, took no notes, but I did go by the old bar and...NOTHING, I DID NOTHING! Well, I can't say I did nothing, but when I asked the bartender -- a small, bubbly number who's marrying one of the owners -- if I did anything she answered with a smile, "Nothing I heard about."

Which of course means I actually did do something...

But gratefully, nothing too bad
"They told me to see the glass half full cause some see it as half empty
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'