Another Solo Mission

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar

Post Reply
Hugh
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders
Posts: 386
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:38 am
Location: San Diego CA

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Hugh » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:11 pm

Here's a little of what Japanese novelist Haruki Murakami has to say about solitude:

“solitude is, more or less, an inevitable circumstance. Sometimes, however, this sense of isolation, like acid spilling out of a bottle, can unconsciously eat away at a person’s heart and dissolve it. You could see it, too, as a kind of double-edged sword. It protects me, but at the same time steadily cuts away at me from the inside. I think in my own way I’m aware of this danger—probably through experience—and that’s why I’ve had to constantly keep my body in motion, in some cases pushing myself to the limit, in order to heal the loneliness I feel inside and to put it in perspective. Not so much as an intentional act, but as an instinctive reaction.”

That sounds about right I guess. Close enough. This will be the first Friday in the last six Fridays that I've stayed home. Why is it so hard to resist the bars lately? Maybe Haruki hit on it in that quote. He's talking about running in that quote by the way, and when I jiggle his quote up a little bit and make it about bar hopping instead of going for a run, I start to understand a little bit about why I have so much trouble resisting the bars and staying out of them. So right now I'm in the same sort of shape someone would be in who overdid it while running. They're exhausted, their knees hurt, they feel sick of it. If I just think of the sound of an ice scooper being jammed into the ice maker, and the sound of the ice clinking into a glass, the sound of the Coke being sprayed over the whiskey, I feel sick. I've had too much of bars lately. It's absolute bliss to sit home tonight. This is my first drink in four days, and I didn't pour it until 5 PM so that I don't get too drunk too early, lose control and head out to the bars again.

Goddamb bars all to hell.

User avatar
Rye and Coke
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard
Posts: 191
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:43 pm
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Rye and Coke » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:04 pm

Hugh wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:11 pm
Here's a little of what Japanese novelist Haruki Murakami has to say about solitude:

“solitude is, more or less, an inevitable circumstance. Sometimes, however, this sense of isolation, like acid spilling out of a bottle, can unconsciously eat away at a person’s heart and dissolve it. You could see it, too, as a kind of double-edged sword. It protects me, but at the same time steadily cuts away at me from the inside. I think in my own way I’m aware of this danger—probably through experience—and that’s why I’ve had to constantly keep my body in motion, in some cases pushing myself to the limit, in order to heal the loneliness I feel inside and to put it in perspective. Not so much as an intentional act, but as an instinctive reaction.”

That sounds about right I guess. Close enough. This will be the first Friday in the last six Fridays that I've stayed home. Why is it so hard to resist the bars lately? Maybe Haruki hit on it in that quote. He's talking about running in that quote by the way, and when I jiggle his quote up a little bit and make it about bar hopping instead of going for a run, I start to understand a little bit about why I have so much trouble resisting the bars and staying out of them. So right now I'm in the same sort of shape someone would be in who overdid it while running. They're exhausted, their knees hurt, they feel sick of it. If I just think of the sound of an ice scooper being jammed into the ice maker, and the sound of the ice clinking into a glass, the sound of the Coke being sprayed over the whiskey, I feel sick. I've had too much of bars lately. It's absolute bliss to sit home tonight. This is my first drink in four days, and I didn't pour it until 5 PM so that I don't get too drunk too early, lose control and head out to the bars again.

Goddamb bars all to hell.
And I'm the complete opposite. I almost exclusively drink alone at home and I crave for the connection with other drunkards. When I go to bars it feels like Sunday morning service. We congregate, converse and worship at the alter of Bacchus and I get to feel like I'm a part of something familiar. The last time I went to the bars, I sat next to a mid-eastern man who, in broken English and with tears in his eyes, told me that this country that he loved wasn't what he thought it would be. I intimately connected with a stranger in a way I would never in any other circumstance. This was the day I confronted the bartender about a possible 86ing I thought I'd been the recipient of, when he chimed in:

'No, no...don't be ashamed, we all do this. We all make mistake. Don't apologize."

His words shook me to my bones and invigorated me so that I sat a bit straighter and ordered a double whiskey and coke with no insecurity. We were each others' crutch and it was great.

I think I just talked myself into going out tonight.

I'll see you all on the other side.
"I feel sorry for people who don’t drink or do drugs. Because someday they’re going to be in a hospital bed, dying, and they won’t know why." - Redd Foxx

Hugh
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders
Posts: 386
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:38 am
Location: San Diego CA

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Hugh » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:06 pm

" I get to feel like I'm a part of something familiar..."

Good point, R&C. Me too, in a way. But it takes no time at all for me to get sick of it. Even the good people there that I look forward to seeing aren't enough to make me love bars enough to keep going.

Hugh
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders
Posts: 386
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:38 am
Location: San Diego CA

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Hugh » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:08 pm

Here's a poem for you Bukowski fans:

be alone - Charles Bukowski
.
when you think about how often
it all goes wrong
again and again
you begin to look at the walls
and yearn to stay inside
because the streets are the
same old movie
and the heroes all end up like
old movie heroes:
fat ass, fat face and the brain
of a lizard.

it's no wonder that
a wise man will
climb a 10,000 foot mountain
and sit there waiting
living off of berry bush leaves
rather than bet it all on two dimpled knees
that surely won't last a lifetime
and 2 times out of 3
won't remain even for one long night.

mountains are hard to climb.
thus the walls are your friends.
learn your walls.

what they have given us out there
in the streets
is something that even children
get tired of.

stay within your walls.
they are the truest love.

build where few others build.
it's the last way left.

Hugh
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders
Posts: 386
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:38 am
Location: San Diego CA

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Hugh » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:14 pm

WOOHOO! Two weekends in a row at home, solo drinking. I can feel the bar toxins leaving my body. This Franzia Chillable Red not only stains my tongue and teeth - there is a blue stain under my upper lip that shows if I smile. But no one will see it if I stay home.

Are any of you guys on Tinder? I used to use the Craigslist hookup section but it was shut down long ago. Is Tinder good for just hookups? I'm not looking for any relationship crap.

There are a lot of contests and submission calls posted on Facebook from lit journals looking for short fiction. But by short, they mean no more than 500 words. I've even seen a few that have a max of 200 words. For chrissakes, I have single sentences that go on for more than 200 words. I don't think I remember seeing word counts that low back in the days of print lit journals, so I wonder if this has something to do with the attention span of readers in the internet age. I found a few online lit mags that allow for longer short stories, but none of them wanted the short story that I had recently written. I finally went back to Terror House Magazine, a place that has accepted my poetry in the past. They accepted it in its entirety, not even breaking it up or serializing it. It's 2700 words and just posted today: https://terrorhousemag.com/erasing/ I keep checking their "Most Popular Submissions" section to see if my story is up there, but it isn't. The last time I submitted poems to them, my stuff stayed at the top for three or four days.

There is a post somewhere on here where Patchez gave a list of strong whiskeys, but I can't find it with the search function. Did I just imagine it? Can one of you guys with better search skills take a look and see if you can find it?

User avatar
oettinger
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed
Posts: 9703
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:23 am

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by oettinger » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:42 pm

Hugh wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:14 pm


There is a post somewhere on here where Patchez gave a list of strong whiskeys, but I can't find it with the search function. Did I just imagine it? Can one of you guys with better search skills take a look and see if you can find it?
I tried, ten times, that site sucks
I do not remember posting that ^^^
Image

User avatar
Patchez
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill
Posts: 5262
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:41 pm
Location: South Central, PA

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Patchez » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:59 pm

oettinger wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:42 pm
Hugh wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:14 pm


There is a post somewhere on here where Patchez gave a list of strong whiskeys, but I can't find it with the search function. Did I just imagine it? Can one of you guys with better search skills take a look and see if you can find it?
I tried, ten times, that site sucks
I'll go back through my posts and see if I can find it.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

User avatar
Patchez
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill
Posts: 5262
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:41 pm
Location: South Central, PA

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Patchez » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:03 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67476&hilit=strong+whiskey

There's one but it's all on White Dog.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Hugh
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders
Posts: 386
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:38 am
Location: San Diego CA

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Hugh » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:19 pm

Here it is - from page 25 of this thread:
Patchez wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 6:05 pm
Hugh wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 11:09 pm
Somebody recommend the highest proof whiskey that is available. I don't care how much it costs. I want to drink the hard stuff.
If you can find it Stagg Jr. is usually in the 130+ proof range. Easier to find would be Bookers or Bakers both 100 and up in the proof department.
Knob creek has a really good small batch at 120 proof.

Price for power any of the Bottled in Bond bottles from Evan Williams or Henry McKenna. Any BiB stuff you find is 100 proof.

Old Ezra is 107 or 109. Old Grandad has a 114.

Happy hunting.

Hugh
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders
Posts: 386
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:38 am
Location: San Diego CA

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Hugh » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:18 pm

Patchez - Got the Knob Creek. FORTY FUCKING DOLLARS! Actually, it was $43.05, but the clerk said, "That's ok, just 43." It is time to celebrate my first piece of published fiction. When I got the notice that they had accepted it, I let out a whoop that made the neighbor come over and ask what was going on. I almost called in sick to work so I could go out and celebrate. But frankly, it ain't that big of a deal. I'd just have been one of those annoying drunks at the bar telling people something they don't want to hear. So I'll celebrate right here in this little room with my bottle of 120 proof bourbon.

Image

Hugh
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders
Posts: 386
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:38 am
Location: San Diego CA

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Hugh » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:27 pm

Wow. The first thing I notice about this bourbon is that it is so strong I can smell it from half way across the room.

The second thing is - man, it tastes GOOD. I've been drinking rot gut my whole life. I never knew whiskey could taste good.

Thanks again, Patchez.

User avatar
ThirstyBirdy
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:36 am

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by ThirstyBirdy » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:53 pm

Hugh wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:27 pm
Wow. The first thing I notice about this bourbon is that it is so strong I can smell it from half way across the room.

The second thing is - man, it tastes GOOD. I've been drinking rot gut my whole life. I never knew whiskey could taste good.

Thanks again, Patchez.
That's a beautiful bourbon right there. I've been to Beam distillery, and they open a barrel and let sample straight from a whiskey thief, oh man
"I drink to make other people more interesting."

User avatar
Patchez
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill
Posts: 5262
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:41 pm
Location: South Central, PA

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Patchez » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:12 pm

While it is pricey it's nice to treat yourself.

I would recommend getting some cheap shit to keep around. Say Kessler or Ten High. Real rotgut shit. Have a few of the good stuff then pack that up and do some serious damaged to the rotgut. Helps the good shit last and doesn't cost as much to get to the island.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

User avatar
ThirstyBirdy
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:36 am

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by ThirstyBirdy » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:25 pm

Patchez wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:12 pm
While it is pricey it's nice to treat yourself.

I would recommend getting some cheap shit to keep around. Say Kessler or Ten High. Real rotgut shit. Have a few of the good stuff then pack that up and do some serious damaged to the rotgut. Helps the good shit last and doesn't cost as much to get to the island.
Completely agree.

You know, for what it is, Knob Creek is actually a bargain. 9 years aged, with 50% it's the best I've found. My go to at bars neat.

I always know I'm in good hands when i see a Knob Creek bottle near. Beam i personally think has a much better product that JD. Now dont get me wrong, JD has the taste (not superior to knob creek), but I've discovered they sold out to a lower ABV for reasons idk. however, Undeserving of some people calling JD rotgut, it's far from that from taste, but it saddens me to see what JD once was. I watch older movies and see that old.JD bottle knowing it had the +50%. I wont support them now...
"I drink to make other people more interesting."

Hugh
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders
Posts: 386
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:38 am
Location: San Diego CA

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Hugh » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:18 pm

Goddamb. Two short glasses of this and I'm fucked up. Maybe it really is a bargain. I'd need a half bottle of rotgut to get this drunk. But this is a better drunk. I already wrote one poem and have another brewing on the page. And that's what I want to do, fill up a blank page. Too often I just sit here drunk as hell and staring at the walls. I might as well write something while I'm drinking.

Post Reply