Do I need a lesson in proper bar drinking etiquette?

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

fdoosey
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by fdoosey »

Hey, as long as it's on the house, why should I (or anyone) complain?

It could be the MacRotgut, it could be 150-year-old Grand Marnier. If it's free, and in a glass, it could be VX nerve agent, and we'd drink it.
http://www.sammichmen.com

methfront: the man who wanted to steal a shopping cart of bowling balls and drop them from the back of a car down route 36 doesn't want to sow bitterness
fdoosey: No, he just wanted to have fun with a shopping cart of bowling balls.

Martini4TheLady
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by Martini4TheLady »

Free drinks taste better.
Relief. Release. Deliverance.

Henry Chinaski
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Henry Chinaski »

Tipping assuages your guilt and mollifies their anger.

Tip well and often and you can get away with a lot in most bars.

As a matter of fact, as someone who's rarely trying to get away with anything, that if you tip well and often you'll often be encouraged to do things in the bar you never would have considered on your own.
That's what the cheapskates don't understand. If you tip well, you end up getting much more booze than when you stiff. And ends up being a better experience all around. I try to tell people that but some of them just can't get it in their head.
Hank
“When you drank the world was still out there, but for the moment it didn’t have you by the throat.â€

DrunkenJackFlask
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by DrunkenJackFlask »

barcalounge wrote:...tip well and often you'll often be encouraged to do things in the bar you never would have considered on your own.
like topping off your chaser by yourself.

DrunkenJackFlask
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

fdoosey wrote:...it could be VX nerve agent, and we'd drink it.
I've been wanting to try that. I hear that it FUCKS YOU UP!!! With some vodka and triple sec, you could have a...a...Saddam-ikaze. Oooh, time to start a new thread under "Astonishing New Drink Recipes"!

Circling over Shannon
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard
Location: Sorry to inform you that party headquaters has closed its doors in Philly and has moved to Baltimore

Post by Circling over Shannon »

barcalounge wrote:Tipping assuages your guilt and mollifies their anger.

Tip well and often and you can get away with a lot in most bars.

As a matter of fact, as someone who's rarely trying to get away with anything, that if you tip well and often you'll often be encouraged to do things in the bar you never would have considered on your own.
By the way what percentage is considered a "good tip"? I usually consider myself a good tiper but I'd like to get some perspective on this

DrunkenJackFlask
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Circling over Shannon wrote:By the way what percentage is considered a "good tip"?
Great question!!! I'm very interested in what people think here. Especially the overseas folks.

I've heard that "adequate" service gets 15% and if you're leaving satisfied and happy, then 20% is in order. I tend to take care to overshoot this (it nets me free drinks quite often). I always round up to the nearest dollar, or the nearest five, if the case may be. It seems that when I'm really shitfaced, the more generous I get, as I've woken up the next day to see some of my bar tabs at $200, and a $100 tip. But sometimes I get bartenders and waitresses pushing my money back at my drunk ass. Fuck I don't know. Money can't buy me love, but it sure buys happiness at a bar.

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

At least $1 every other drink.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

Circling over Shannon
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard
Location: Sorry to inform you that party headquaters has closed its doors in Philly and has moved to Baltimore

yea depending on how much i order I usually tip around I guess 30%, but if I order like 2 beers at a place I usually tip bigger-- actually funny story, I was at a neighborhood joint the other night and I got this nerw waitress and when I ordered a stout (yummy dunkle's german stout grrrreat) as I usually do at this place the bitch carded me, I was quite offended and pointed her in the direction of a wqaiter who's served me many times. So I got my beer and she got the shittiest tip ever (bout $1 on a $20 bill) I really thought about that to before I did it because I"ve been a waitress but she was also an aweful waitress. Anyway so I saw her on the street today and aparently she remembered me because she gacve me a glare whew!

deadpuppiesandwhores
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by deadpuppiesandwhores »

DrunkenJackFlask wrote:
Circling over Shannon wrote:By the way what percentage is considered a "good tip"?
Great question!!! I'm very interested in what people think here. Especially the overseas folks.

I've heard that "adequate" service gets 15% and if you're leaving satisfied and happy, then 20% is in order. I tend to take care to overshoot this (it nets me free drinks quite often). I always round up to the nearest dollar, or the nearest five, if the case may be. It seems that when I'm really shitfaced, the more generous I get, as I've woken up the next day to see some of my bar tabs at $200, and a $100 tip. But sometimes I get bartenders and waitresses pushing my money back at my drunk ass. Fuck I don't know. Money can't buy me love, but it sure buys happiness at a bar.
weish i was rich. no idon't. i lied. i don't desire monetary equivalence to happiness, but i eould like a free drink too.
road to hell is paved with unbought stuffed dogs.
"I AM TOO DRUNK TO TASTE THIS CHICKEN."
colonel sanders

http://meetme.hotornot.com/r/?emid=K8ERHQN

i'm not saying i beat the devil, but i drank his beer for nothin'.... then i stole his song.

DrunkenJackFlask
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

i used to be doing pretty well. then I just had good credit. then i had no credit but good income. now i better not lose my fucking job or i;m really screwed...

DrunkenJackFlask
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Circling over Shannon wrote:...the bitch carded me
I have so given up on that. I haven't been carded since high school. Now i just pull out my ID to make them giggle at an old guy.

deadpuppiesandwhores
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by deadpuppiesandwhores »

DrunkenJackFlask wrote:
I have so given up on that. I haven't been carded since high school. Now i just pull out my ID to make them giggle at an old guy.
i think its funny when i gtr arde . thyer betteter hope i'm 21 or they're fuckjed cuz i been buyin frin 'em for a few yerears now.
road to hell is paved with unbought stuffed dogs.
"I AM TOO DRUNK TO TASTE THIS CHICKEN."
colonel sanders

http://meetme.hotornot.com/r/?emid=K8ERHQN

i'm not saying i beat the devil, but i drank his beer for nothin'.... then i stole his song.

Circling over Shannon
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

DrunkenJackFlask wrote:
See I'm actually not 20 for another year and 4 days:) But I'm obviously not 17 years old and she has to know that if I don't get my drink she doesn't get a tip. When I waitressed if someone ordered a beer (not a group of rowdy obviously HS kids) and they could pass for 20+ then I'd serve them. And when I do get served I tip very well (this is the reason any other waiter in the joint would be willing to vouch for me)

Generic Jug
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Generic Jug »

I get carded pretty much everywhere I go, because I look like I'm 16. Hell, I still get carded for cigarettes, I'd say more than half the time. I don't know whether to be proud or horrified. My doting relatives, of course, always say I'll enjoy it when I'm older, but why the fuck would I care when I'm older? Everything just goes downhill from here, and if I need to rely on youthful looks by the time I'm 40, well, there's a big problem.
I've been here, I've been there, I've been everywhere...and your well still tastes like shoes. I'll take another.