Pub

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: Pub

Post by scream ale »

^^^ Damn right! Some day I shall.

One for the Frog
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by One for the Frog »

Ahh sorry you should always check under the bar, sometimes I go for a quick nap.

anyway

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

I'd kill for an Old Foghorn barley wine.

RIPT2.0
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by RIPT2.0 »

scream ale wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:26 am
I'd kill for an Old Foghorn barley wine.
Do they still make this shit? It was literally the first beer I ever drank illegally because I was underaged. I was 11 yrs old. A Buddy of mine worked at the corner store and stole a six pack, so we went into the woods to drink it, plus smoke some Lucky Strikes my Buddy had stolen from his Dad.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/302/80362/

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Sammy wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:12 pm
Do they still make this shit?

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/302/80362/
Fyfe and Drum? Not that I'm aware of.

BUT

Several years back Genesee put out a heritage pack. This was a 12 pack with 4 bottles each of the regular Genny beer, cream ale and the 12 horse ale. They came in stubby bottles with labels that looked like something from the 1960's. They also did another heritage pack with the regular Genny, cream ale and Genny light in similair packaging. Some months later Genesee put out yet another heritage pack. This one had Fyfe and Drum with two other beers. One of them was a summer ale of some sort if memory serves.

JudgeLyonell
Souse
Souse

Post by JudgeLyonell »

I stumbled upon this place...was actually looking for another place but some Hungarian was blowing up my phone and I got dstracted. I see a table in the corner roped off with a reserved sign on it and a pillow under it on the floor. Aparently someone of some self importance once slept there. Since there is no bartender, I shall take my chance and pour my own G&T.

Well, what do you know. The bartender is asleep on the floor. Does everyone in this dank environment pull just up the carpet and kip the night away?

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Let the record show, that if I die at this moment, I am listening to Stairway to Heaven, on earbuds, to drown out Grumpy's drunken shouts. He is having a bit of a moment.
like tears in rain

TheDrunkardAnglo
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by TheDrunkardAnglo »

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this post.

I was watching this Anthony Bourdain episode it aired in 2003 on Bars.

One of these bars he goes to in New York City. They had a "buy-back" system. Every four or so drinks the patron buys, he gets one for free. An unwritten/unspoken agreement between barman and drinker.

I thought it was incredible, really made me want to go.

Has anyone experienced something like this before?
Major Strasser: What is your nationality?
Rick: I'm a drunkard.
Captain Renault: That makes Rick a citizen of the world.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

TheDrunkardAnglo wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:56 am

One of these bars he goes to in New York City. They had a "buy-back" system. Every four or so drinks the patron buys, he gets one for free. An unwritten/unspoken agreement between barman and drinker.

In America at least, it seems to have more to do with tipping. The unspoken rule is such that if you're tipping regularly on each drink paid for in cash, you're ultimately going to reach a point where the bartender either comps you a free drink or possibly a complimentary shot of something heady and dangerous.

Reasons for this not happening: either the bartender is an oblivious twat, or less frequently perhaps they are being put under scrutiny by management or ownership.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

TheDrunkardAnglo
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by TheDrunkardAnglo »

Badfellow wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:35 pm
TheDrunkardAnglo wrote:

In America at least, it seems to have more to do with tipping. The unspoken rule is such that if you're tipping regularly on each drink paid for in cash, you're ultimately going to reach a point where the bartender either comps you a free drink or possibly a complimentary shot of something heady and dangerous.

Reasons for this not happening: either the bartender is an oblivious twat, or less frequently perhaps they are being put under scrutiny by management or ownership.

This is what freedom is all about. I'm crying eagles and pickup trucks right now!
Major Strasser: What is your nationality?
Rick: I'm a drunkard.
Captain Renault: That makes Rick a citizen of the world.

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

TheDrunkardAnglo wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:00 am
This is what freedom is all about. I'm crying eagles and pickup trucks right now!
We all are. Everyday.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

This has become a disappearing tradition here due to asshats like Jon Taffer and the Bar Rescue douche crew and that corporate bar mentality. You can still find it a your local corner pub but even those are getting swallowed up by "entertainment" groups that just want to make cash through shitty pours and weak drinks served under a sheen of hip and hype. As soon as you realize you're getting raped you'll move on never to return but they don't care as turnover is the name of the cash game.

These people will be the first lined up against the wall and shot when I become dictator.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Eagle Tears 109 Straight Fucktucky Bourbon. Distilled from the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Badfellow wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:29 pm
Eagle Tears 109 Straight Fucktucky Bourbon. Distilled from the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air.
That shit is going to give Blanton's a serious run for it's money.

DrunkinEurope
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by DrunkinEurope »

TheDrunkardAnglo wrote:

It's pretty common here in Greece, almost every bar I've been at does it. After every four drinks, you get a free round of whatever you're drinking. In many bars, they'll also start fixing you with shots (usually of the fruity type) after the third drink or so, as long as you're not a douchebag. The free round sure helps with getting you to stay for at least one more drink even if you were ready to go to another bar.