Mixing different alchohol, myth?

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

VodkaHero
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Mixing different alchohol, myth?

Post by VodkaHero »

I've always been told that you should try and stick to one or two kinds of alcohol in a night because your body has a hard time absorbing multiple kinds, and people always say they get sick when they mix.

Lately I've been drinking all sorts of crap in one night. Last night I had Guinness, jack, tequilla, jager and gin and I felt great! Don't even have a hangover!

So what gives? What's your take on dipping into every bottle behind the bar?
Happiness is a pint of guinness and a shot of jack.

UnkleLemmy
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by UnkleLemmy »

I always mix alcohol. I get bored wuickly drinking the same thing all night.
Savage: "Unkle Lemmy looks just like his avatar, and that is hawt. Also, he sends me a crate of bourbon every month and for this, when I die, he will inherit my castle in Savagonia, and my 72 virgins. (They are all good boys, and very hard workers.)"

Chelsea40oz
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Chelsea40oz »

I'm not sure why this would be true, but to hedge my bets I like to mix it up a little.
Which I don't understand that AA question: Do you ever switch drinks so as not to become so indebriated? Hell no, Dumbass! I switch drinks with the intent of becoming MORE inebriated!

You're out of your league, go back to your own village!

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

The whole "mixed drink" story is a myth. Your liver only processes the alcohol. Everything else, more or less, passes through.
The only reason that people feel a wee bit worst after a night of mixing is that, when mixing, we tend to drink more... Which sounds like a plan to me.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Oggar
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Oggar »

This is one of those drinking myths I find completely irritating. At least as annoying as the "I get mean if I drink _____" or "Drinking through the straw..." or people that claim "I get drunk quicker on x than y." ie "I can drink 6 rums but 3 whiskeys and I'm hammered." For the love of god can they hear themselves.... it doesn't make any sense! There is no way it can be true! Argh!!!! :evil: Sorry.....
I can't write like Papa, you know I just ain't able
But if he came in here tonight, I'd drink him under the table -Ronny Elliott

RIP Mayhem, as long as I have a heart you are in it.

jerryg
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by jerryg »

I've had some awful hangovers after drinking only one thing all night and felt grat after mixing. And vice-versa. How you feel the next day has more to do with how much you drink, how fast and what you eat or drink before and after.

TARTANSPECIAL
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by TARTANSPECIAL »

jerryg wrote:I've had some awful hangovers after drinking only one thing all night and felt grat after mixing. And vice-versa. How you feel the next day has more to do with how much you drink, how fast and what you eat or drink before and after.
I'm sure we've all been there, one night you drink all night, get completely wasted and next day you are fresh as a daisy.Another night you may just have a few and wake up next morning feeling like shit. :roll:
beer, wine,voddie it don't get any better.

deadpuppiesandwhores
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by deadpuppiesandwhores »

Oggar wrote:This is one of those drinking myths I find completely irritating. At least as annoying as the "I get mean if I drink _____" or "Drinking through the straw..." or people that claim "I get drunk quicker on x than y." ie "I can drink 6 rums but 3 whiskeys and I'm hammered." For the love of god can they hear themselves.... it doesn't make any sense! There is no way it can be true! Argh!!!! :evil: Sorry.....
it might not make sense but sometimes i9ts true. i can drink any beer all day, and only maintain a pleasant buzz... but a six pack of pete's wicked ale, and i'm shitfaced. i can't explain it, its only mildy stronger than the other beers i drink, but for some miraculous reason, it fucks me up.
road to hell is paved with unbought stuffed dogs.
"I AM TOO DRUNK TO TASTE THIS CHICKEN."
colonel sanders

http://meetme.hotornot.com/r/?emid=K8ERHQN

i'm not saying i beat the devil, but i drank his beer for nothin'.... then i stole his song.

One for the Frog
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by One for the Frog »

While you're drinking, your body processes alcohol (As it always does. THE BASTARD!). If you drink only beer, the net alcohol intake is slower than drinking shots. If you put the two things together, it's obvious that drinking only beer doesn't make you that drunk, or makes it much later.

Mixing various shots, however doesn't make any difference to drinking only one kind, exept for being more fun.

LuckyStrikes
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by LuckyStrikes »

I mixed a poodle with a doberman once.
Voices tell me to buy the bigger bottle!

One for the Frog

Post by One for the Frog »

LuckyStrikes wrote:I mixed a poodle with a doberman once.
Well, now THAT makes me puke.

Hugh Janblack
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Hugh Janblack »

I have a theory on this. Mind you, I am not a scientific person, so it is probably "not Scottish".

I think that the different feelings are associated not with the alcohol itself, but the other ingredients in the drink.

An easy example is DPAW - he drinks PWA and gets all loopy - well, it is a heavier ale, so therefore more blood is sent to his stomach to deal with it - much like eating a big meal. The result is feeling a bit more sleepy then usual. Being sleepy + alcohol can have the appearance of feeling more drunk.

I know for a FACT that when I drink scotch, I get happy. Scotch is my winter time sitting in the dark alone depression drink - I can't feel down on scotch. But Vodka, that makes me want to go out and do something. I am not sure what the ingredients are that effect me, or why they would effect someone else in a different way and I suppose it could be more of a mental association than an actual chemical reaction, but in my experience, different booze does make different results.

The only thing I have not agreed with according to the myth is becoming a "mean drunk". It makes no sense to me at all. I am the opposite of a mean drunk. I am actually quite a mean undrunk. When I get drunk, my monkey is free, and therefore happy. Never understood why that would make one mean.
Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.

It will hurt less if you don't struggle.

LuckyStrikes
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by LuckyStrikes »

Tequila makes me disrobe. Everything else, I just get a little stupid. But never mean.

deadpuppiesandwhores
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by deadpuppiesandwhores »

LuckyStrikes wrote:Tequila makes me disrobe. Everything else, I just get a little stupid. But never mean.
let me buy you a shot of cuervo.
road to hell is paved with unbought stuffed dogs.
"I AM TOO DRUNK TO TASTE THIS CHICKEN."
colonel sanders

http://meetme.hotornot.com/r/?emid=K8ERHQN

i'm not saying i beat the devil, but i drank his beer for nothin'.... then i stole his song.

LuckyStrikes
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by LuckyStrikes »

deadpuppiesandwhores wrote:
LuckyStrikes wrote:Tequila makes me disrobe. Everything else, I just get a little stupid. But never mean.
let me buy you a shot of cuervo.
For one shot, I'll take off one shoe.