Absinthe

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Re: Absinth

Post by Wingman »

BBoozer wrote: But she's persisting and her threats involve refusing sexual favours, so what can you do?
this is actually bullshit. as a redhead, she needs it more than you do. seriously, call her bluff. just put any armor you've got lying around on and wait her out. (she'll get stabby as the withdrawl kicks in.) whatever you do, don't let her know you know, just let her suffer while you sip the absinthe.

on topic, had it once, kinda grappa-y like peetie said. didn't especially care for the taste, and only had maybe a 1/4 of a fifth. it was from spain, and supposedly had the wormwood in it, but i didn't notice anything different from any other booze.
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by DeeboCools »

The proposed psychedelic effects are, from everything I've seen, total bullshit. It's usually higher than 50% ABV, so it might get you drunk really fast and make you act a bit daffier but that's all.

I had a few sips of shit my brother had gotten somewhere in the UK. Tasted just like licorice to me(which I like). Too broke to get into it myself.
"S0briety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes." -William James

Jiggers McCoy
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Jiggers McCoy »

I've only had it at this place in London called Vinopolis, where you can taste lots of wines, beers and spirits, and it came pre-mixed with the sugared icewater, but that was ok. Very licorice-y, and it's got an almost savory quality that makes you want to have more.
• "Avoiding the darker alcohols like bourbon, red wine and dark rum might lessen [a hangover] and you might also dance better if you wear a tutu instead of trousers." - FKR

• "If you wanna 'talk about' my drinking, it better be about how fucking awesome it is." - Me

Superfucker
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Superfucker »

Absinth is one of my go-to liqueurs, and as such I can say that most the claims about absinth are pretty much bullshit. Absinth does definitely put you in another state of mind than most hard liqueurs, but its not in any way psychedelic. Its a high proof strongly bitter herbal liqueur and that's about it. The ritual is legit though, most people don't share my strange tastes and prefer to let the herbs mellow a bit, whereas I like the nearly over-the-top licorice tones. Other than hysteria there was never any good reason to ban this stuff in the first place.
What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

The Limey
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by The Limey »

The 'extra' active compound in Absinthe is thujone from Artemisia Absinthium, a European garden weed also known as wormwood. It is flavoured with anise, fennel, (wormwood tastes of mint) and other herbs and was iirc once grouped with anisette and pernod etc.. In fact thujone is common, it's in all mints and conifer trees etc.. Absinthe was a favoured drink of debauched European artists and writers etc and was banned as more of a symbolic gesture by those trying to suppress these movements. Aleister Crowley was keen on it.

Not all modern Absinthe is real Absinthe, as the word "Absinthe" is protected in just a couple of countries, i cant remember which, but NOT France.

Absinthe is green and traditionally known as The Green Fairy" from la fée verte.

The Limey
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by The Limey »

The louche ritual is a waste of time. Just sip neat.

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

The Limey wrote:The louche ritual is a waste of time. Just sip neat.
Yeah, that's what I think as well. It's like tequila with that whole salt/lime BS.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

beerkegbilly
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God
Location: in a hollow of a tree or in a wishing well but alway on my pot of gold really Penna USA

Post by beerkegbilly »

peetie44 wrote:
Yeah, that's what I think as well. It's like tequila with that whole salt/lime BS.
Dancing wee bit with the green fairy now are we

tequila salt and the lime is good with a hot chick it sucks alone
Same goes Yukon snake bite only good hot chick.

Superfucker
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Superfucker »

peetie44 wrote:
And here I thought I was the only one who actually liked the flavor of undiluted/unsweetened absinth. Good to know, that or you don't give a damn what it tasted like and just want to mainline some high-proof.
What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

kowalski
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Re: Absinthe

Post by kowalski »

I found it to be disappointing, and the aniseed taste wasn't great (I just drank it neat). However, it is one of those drinks that should be tried by everyone at one time or another.
Snakebite & Blue Bols <-- The Drink of Champions

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

beerkegbilly wrote:
peetie44 wrote:
Dancing wee bit with the green fairy now are we

tequila salt and the lime is good with a hot chick it sucks alone
Same goes Yukon snake bite only good hot chick.
'billy...yeah, chick's dig the "ritual" thing with the Tq. And a hot lady is never wrong.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Mayhems
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Mayhems »

The alcohol percentage has nil to do with the psychotropic effect as said earlier. Thujone percentage varies widely in different brands, and even within brands.

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Tastes like anus
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Zippy
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Zippy »

That is common if you're drinking shit.

Good absinthe, properly watered, is a divine thing of finesse and complexity. If you just want to get xitfaced than you might as well slug down cheap vodka. If you want to savor something beautiful along the way then get something good like Walton Waters or Pacifique or Viex Pontarlier and water it 3 to one. Forget sugar, good absinthe is sweet, not bitter. It also mixes well with Gin.
It's always a good day to get ripped!

Mister Priapus
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Mister Priapus »

I wasn't impressed. I don't remember the brand but it was supposed to be good Czech absinthe with wormwood. It did have the wormwood and I did try both the French and the Czech rituals (something about lighting your hooch on fire with a spoon struck me as a bit crack-headish) but ultimately I wasn't even more than a little tipsy. I'd rather drink green Chartreuse neat or on the rocks.
Politics divides. Metal unites!

-Accrassicauda