Absinthe

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Absinth

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

ThirstyDrunk wrote:Tastes like anus
Sorry, I meant anise.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Licorice anus?
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

BBoozer
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by BBoozer »

Shut up you, television hero.

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Resident Asshole »

The bottle I have is called King Absinthe and is from the Czech Republic. I would hazard to say that most Czech stuff is shit. My bottle is extremely bitter, however it will definitely get you drink pretty quickly.

The sugar/spoon ritual is something made up by the Czechs in the 1980s as a marketing gimmick so I put no stock in that BS although I've done it. "Absinthe" was legalized in the US a couple of years ago but only with 10mg of thujone. Real Absinthe has at least 10x that amount, so I can't speak to the psychadelic properties as even the stuff I got from the Czech Republic only has 10mg.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

captain gonzo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by captain gonzo »

Habsberg gold label is worth it just because its 89.9%
Drunk? I'm not drunk! You wouldn't dare accuse me of that if I was s0ber!

swirly_commode
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by swirly_commode »

Cold mixed
Many modern absinthes are produced using the cold mix system. This process is forbidden in countries with formal legal designations of absinthe. The beverage is manufactured by mixing flavouring essences and artificial colouring in high-proof alcohol, and is similar to a flavoured vodka or "absinthe schnapps". Some modern Franco–Suisse absinthes are bottled at up to 82.3 percent alcohol[unreliable source?][49] and some modern bohemian-style absinthes contain up to 89.9 percent. Because of the lack of a formal legal definition of absinthe in most countries, many of these lesser brands claim their products to be "distilled" (since the alcohol base itself was created through distillation) and sell them at prices comparable to more authentic absinthes that are distilled directly from whole herbs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absinthe

absinthe schnapps is what you all are drinking.
if it doesnt taste like rotten ass then its not absinthe.
if you can drink it straight without clouding the taste in a pound of sugar then its not the real thing.

the memory of that flavor makes me want to gag

captain gonzo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by captain gonzo »

Ill be honest...the definition is irrelevant, if i can drink something thats near 90% and tastes good and aniseed-y then thats as much as i need.

Bur

Post by Bur »

BBoozer wrote:Shut up you, television hero.
Shut up, he might be on to something. Still liquerice far as I know it has little do with good absinth...

captain gonzo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by captain gonzo »

Modern absinthe is all about ABV and getting hammered on bright green booze....from what I can tell old absinthe was nothing that special.

It can be bought in its old style form, but seems to me the cheap "shit" is just a great way of getting really hammered. That to me can never be a bad thing.

Bur

Post by Bur »

captain gonzo wrote:Modern absinthe is all about ABV and getting hammered on bright green booze....from what I can tell old absinthe was nothing that special.

It can be bought in its old style form, but seems to me the cheap "shit" is just a great way of getting really hammered. That to me can never be a bad thing.
In many ways I agree, for me at least the so much marketed "trippy" part had no catch for me, apart from keeping my actual drunk out of reach.

captain gonzo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by captain gonzo »

Its all bullshit anyway, if you wanna trip try acid or shrooms. Wanna drink...well thats a bigger more interesting choice.

beerkegbilly
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God
Location: in a hollow of a tree or in a wishing well but alway on my pot of gold really Penna USA

Post by beerkegbilly »

captain gonzo wrote:Its all bullshit anyway, if you wanna trip try acid or shrooms. Wanna drink...well thats a bigger more interesting choice.
Or just do peyote tea. I use lemons and honey in it for taste for peyote tea

swirly_commode
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by swirly_commode »

its a fad.
if you really want something with that much alcohol in it, just get some everclear.
why fool yourself with this hipster wanabe highbrow crap?

but, its your choice what you drink and ill stop mocking you for it
well, ill tone it down a bit, anyways

captain gonzo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by captain gonzo »

swirly_commode wrote:its a fad.
if you really want something with that much alcohol in it, just get some everclear.
why fool yourself with this hipster wanabe highbrow crap?

but, its your choice what you drink and ill stop mocking you for it
well, ill tone it down a bit, anyways
Cant get everclear easily in the UK, and its cheaper than 151 rum. To be honest its not even expensive. Its not about high brow its just easy to drink and strong. I like things like pernod and aniseed drinks anyway and they work out more expensive per unit of alcohol. I really wish either 151 rum was cheaper or everclear was easy to get in the UK.

JimLahey
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by JimLahey »

I've had it on a few occasions and I'm a huge fan. I'm sure the stuff I had was total shit, but I still loved it.
I would have it a lot more often if it weren't for the ridiculous price it goes for in Canada.
But I like it a lot, the last one I got had a bunch of herbs floating in the bottle. The taste is usually very bitter, but I enjoy that. Instead of going through the painfully slow ritual of preparing the drink I just throw some ice in there and a sugar cube, swirl it around and you are good to go. The color of the thing is fantastic.
I find that it gives me a more "invigorating and sharp" drunk rather then a sleepy/chill drunk. There's something very stimulating about the drink that makes it perfect for writers or artists.
Damn... now I want some absinth.