why, Palinka, why?

That's right. You can put them right here.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Souse
Souse

why, Palinka, why?

Post by Guest »

why, Palinka, why, are you so world-weary, and cynical, and imperious, and pedantic?

Palinka (RIP)

Re: why, Palinka, why?

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Guest wrote:why, Palinka, why, are you so world-weary, and cynical, and imperious, and pedantic?
Mr Ambrose Bierce (1842 - 1914) sums it up rather nicely:

CYNIC, n.
A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.

PESSIMISM, n.
A philosophy forced upon the convictions of the observer by the disheartening prevalence of the optimist with his scarecrow hope and his unsightly smile.

If I am world-weary it is because I have seen enough of the world to be weary of its inhabitants.

I don't think I am a pedant. However, I do feel that a person should, at the very least, be able to master his or her mother tongue.

Imperious is not the right word (but since you didn't deign to offer any evidence, we will never know which word you were groping for). I am neither proud nor domineering. As any scant perusal of my posts will confirm.

I hope this answers your question. Now please allow me to ask you a question, dear Guest: What does it matter to you if I am; world-weary, cynical, pedantic and imperious?
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Generic Jug
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Generic Jug »

I had this big rant about pedantism and prideful intelligence going on, but then it told me I had an invalid session and proceeded to eat my entry. Which is probably for the best. So just imagine all the brilliance spewing forth from my fingers; that should be sufficient.

By the way, how's your stomach today, Palinka?
I've been here, I've been there, I've been everywhere...and your well still tastes like shoes. I'll take another.

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Generic Jug wrote:...By the way, how's your stomach today, Palinka?
Like the rest of me; in dire need of a drink, thank you for asking.
Time to head off to the pub.
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Souse
Souse

Post by Guest »

Palinka wrote:Now please allow me to ask you a question, dear Guest: What does it matter to you if I am; world-weary, cynical, pedantic and imperious?
In truth, it matters not a whit. No offense intended. Call it curiousity, or, if you prefer, nosiness.

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Guest wrote:In truth, it matters not a whit. No offense intended. Call it curiousity, or, if you prefer, nosiness.
Then I hope that I answered, the parts of your question that I did not refute, to your satisfaction.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Souse
Souse

Post by Guest »

You did. Enjoy the local.

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Guest wrote:You did. Enjoy the local.
Thank you. I shall.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Souse
Souse

Post by Guest »

OK, now that he's gone, let's talk about this cynical pessimist. Can you BELIEVE this guy??

[Jesting, jesting]

Generic Jug

Post by Generic Jug »

Hey, are you actually registered as "Guest"? Damn sneaky, you are.
I've been here, I've been there, I've been everywhere...and your well still tastes like shoes. I'll take another.

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

So he corrects our use (abuse?) of the English language; big deal! Besides, most of the time it's a good natured ribbing.

So he's a bit cynical, so am I.

Pessimism, yep, that too.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

Generic Jug

Post by Generic Jug »

I don't think homeslice was trying to riff on Palinka, per se. I, too, am cynical and pessimistic. I haven't decided if they are truly negative traits or not. Regardless, I know that I gravitate more towards those kinds of people than the happy-sunshine crowd.

StoliGirl
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by StoliGirl »

Guest wrote:why, Palinka, why, are you so world-weary, and cynical, and imperious, and pedantic?
We're not going to start calling people out on this board are we? For traits that may only exist in our minds. Or our big dictionary. Perhaps Guest, you should have waited until you became acquainted with Palinka before making such a rash judgement. In my narrow view, Palinka has a very European outlook on the world, refreshing after dealing with consumer-pepsi-madonna-people magazine as reading material-television sottish-one language-spoiled-media playthings minds.
I want a thread. Why Is StoliGirl A Bitch? No, no, no. That's wrong. Why Did Stoli Girl Buy A Bitch? I can answer that. I bought a beautiful Afghan Hound for my stepmother (#5). Afghans have long hair and require a lot of attention and grooming. I'm hoping that it will occupy some of the time that she uses to spend what's left of my inheiritance. Slick one, ain't I.

Rowdydrunk79
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Rowdydrunk79 »

Frankennietzsche wrote:So he corrects our use (abuse?) of the English language; big deal! Besides, most of the time it's a good natured ribbing.

So he's a bit cynical, so am I.

Pessimism, yep, that too.
Palinka's one of my personal hero's, I'm totally with you, Frank.
"Preacher! Go on down and get me some bourbon. J. T. S. Brown. No ice, no glass."
- Paul Newman, The Hustler
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/141203 ... F8&s=books

Generic Jug

Post by Generic Jug »

StoliGirl wrote:
We're not going to start calling people out on this board are we? For traits that may only exist in our minds. Or our big dictionary. Perhaps Guest, you should have waited until you became acquainted with Palinka before making such a rash judgement. In my narrow view, Palinka has a very European outlook on the world, refreshing after dealing with consumer-pepsi-madonna-people magazine as reading material-television sottish-one language-spoiled-media playthings minds.
I want a thread. Why Is StoliGirl A Bitch? No, no, no. That's wrong. Why Did Stoli Girl Buy A Bitch? I can answer that. I bought a beautiful Afghan Hound for my stepmother (#5). Afghans have long hair and require a lot of attention and grooming. I'm hoping that it will occupy some of the time that she uses to spend what's left of my inheiritance. Slick one, ain't I.
Why, Stoli, why are you such a sneaky little money-grubber?