tanqueray. an olf frinedn revisited

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

fdoosey wrote:Keel-hauling was an old Pirate punishment...
Actually, it was a Royal Navy punishment. Captain Bligh (of The Bounty fame) was, allegedly, rather fond of dispensing it to keep discipline.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

fdoosey
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by fdoosey »

Pirates, Royal Navy...didn't most English Pirates quit the Royal Navy?

So both can be technically true. They got their Pirate training in the Royal Navy. Yarrgh!
http://www.sammichmen.com

methfront: the man who wanted to steal a shopping cart of bowling balls and drop them from the back of a car down route 36 doesn't want to sow bitterness
fdoosey: No, he just wanted to have fun with a shopping cart of bowling balls.

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

fdoosey wrote:Pirates, Royal Navy...didn't most English Pirates quit the Royal Navy?...
Ahhh...You are thinking of Drake, Hawkins et al. Technically they were privateers, which is to say, licenced pirates. It's true that they were loosely affiliated with the Royal Navy but not actually part of it for the puposes of deniability. The practise of keel-hauling, as far as I recall, was first used as a punishment in the Royal Navy under Henry VIII. Before the pirates or privateers took to the high seas.
In any case, pirates and privateers tended to be a rather mutinious bunch, by their very nature, and so the punishments meeted out tended to be rather more swift than flogging or keel-hauling, i.e. a swift run through with a sword.
Cruel and inhumane punishments were, I'm sorry to say, rather more frequently employed by the Royal Navy in order to keep the, mostly press-ganged, sailors in line.
There is a very good book on the subject, the name of which temporarily escapes my booze addled mind. I will look it up and get back to you. It's something like, "Rum, Sodomy and the Lash: The Royal Navy, Punishments and Promotions, A History." Needless to say, the book isn't on the syllabus at Dartmouth Royal Naval College.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

fdoosey

Post by fdoosey »

Sounds like something to read whilst downing dark rum. I'll pass on the sodomy and whips though.

methfront: the man who wanted to steal a shopping cart of bowling balls and drop them from the back of a car down route 36 doesn't want to sow bitterness

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

How about that new Russell Crowe movie based on one of those Patrick OBrien books. I'm going to check it out with a backpack full of beer cans. It looks like there might be some good swashbuckling, and I loves me some swashbuckling.
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

Jimmy&Guinney
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Jimmy&Guinney »

Palinka wrote:
fdoosey wrote:Pirates, Royal Navy...didn't most English Pirates quit the Royal Navy?...
Ahhh...You are thinking of Drake, Hawkins et al. Technically they were privateers, which is to say, licenced pirates. It's true that they were loosely affiliated with the Royal Navy but not actually part of it for the puposes of deniability. The practise of keel-hauling, as far as I recall, was first used as a punishment in the Royal Navy under Henry VIII. Before the pirates or privateers took to the high seas.
In any case, pirates and privateers tended to be a rather mutinious bunch, by their very nature, and so the punishments meeted out tended to be rather more swift than flogging or keel-hauling, i.e. a swift run through with a sword.
Cruel and inhumane punishments were, I'm sorry to say, rather more frequently employed by the Royal Navy in order to keep the, mostly press-ganged, sailors in line.
There is a very good book on the subject, the name of which temporarily escapes my booze addled mind. I will look it up and get back to you. It's something like, "Rum, Sodomy and the Lash: The Royal Navy, Punishments and Promotions, A History." Needless to say, the book isn't on the syllabus at Dartmouth Royal Naval College.
At least they got a rum ration, no?
And they say her flower is faded now
Hard weather and hard booze
But maybe that's just the price you pay
For the chains you refuse

fdoosey

Post by fdoosey »

J&G I miss the heavy breasted avatar. Boobs are nice. BIIIIIIIG boobs are better. I'm drunk. Tjat excuses certain degrees of idiocy. I'm just swiping my idiocy card. I got some more in me before the night is done.

Jimmy&Guinney

Post by Jimmy&Guinney »

fdoosey wrote:J&G I miss the heavy breasted avatar. Boobs are nice. BIIIIIIIG boobs are better. I'm drunk. Tjat excuses certain degrees of idiocy. I'm just swiping my idiocy card. I got some more in me before the night is done.
That's good to hear man, knowing your fighting against undrunkenness gives us nighttime working slobs hope. There are so many ways I would like to be celebrating this full moon then working. I am listening to Altan, that's nice. They have a greatest hits type album out now. Mairáed is the most beautiful singer I can think of.
And they say her flower is faded now
Hard weather and hard booze
But maybe that's just the price you pay
For the chains you refuse

massivedrunk

Post by massivedrunk »

i thinmk i m undrunk, maybe nowt
Still just figuring it all out. Still not really figuring it out.