What is it about martinis?

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Enabler
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Enabler »

skot11 wrote:best martini ever ...
http://www.hendricksgin.com
I love a hendricks GT. and no lime. just let that cucumber effervesce. but I never cared for that cucumber martini. does it take a certain vermouth or do i just have vegie hang up? Those bastard "friend" already laugh at me for drinking out of a steam glass. I point and mumble somethingabout 007 but i never win the aurgment. good thing i don't listen to them.
Mad Hatters Long Gone, But The Mercury Lingers On

Barca

Post by Barca »

Enabler wrote:
I love a hendricks GT. and no lime. just let that cucumber effervesce. but I never cared for that cucumber martini. does it take a certain vermouth or do i just have vegie hang up? Those bastard "friend" already laugh at me for drinking out of a steam glass. I point and mumble somethingabout 007 but i never win the aurgment. good thing i don't listen to them.
Even if a cucumber is delicious soaked in alcohol (personally, I'm skeptical), if you need a vegetable to enjoy gin then you don't like gin and you should put the bottle down and find some Arbor Mist or a nice Lancer's.

Frankly, if the martini is ice-cold and at least four parts gin, then you have to make an extreme and deliberate effort to make it go wrong from there.
Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. - Henry Lawson

Martini Time
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Martini Time »

Barca wrote:Frankly, if the martini is ice-cold and at least four parts gin, then you have to make an extreme and deliberate effort to make it go wrong from there.
Here, here!! 'Nuff said.
"Martinis are a balm against a sordid world, a shield against all that is sullied, rushed and coarse"

Enabler
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Enabler »

Barca wrote:
Enabler wrote:
Even if a cucumber is delicious soaked in alcohol (personally, I'm skeptical), if you need a vegetable to enjoy gin then you don't like gin and you should put the bottle down and find some Arbor Mist or a nice Lancer's.
Granted the scots are an odd people and Hendricks isn't my favorit gin but with a people with such a rich history of drinking you should turn you back on them so fast. Hell Laphroaig by itself should give them the right to make gin out of anything they wanted.
Mad Hatters Long Gone, But The Mercury Lingers On

Barca

Post by Barca »

Enabler wrote: Granted the scots are an odd people and Hendricks isn't my favorit gin but with a people with such a rich history of drinking you should turn you back on them so fast. Hell Laphroaig by itself should give them the right to make gin out of anything they wanted.
I would never blame an entire country for the efforts of one company, otherwise Foster's, Canadian Mist, Beck's, Amstel, Sapporo, and Zima would already have me hostilely disposed towards most of the world.

Jimmy&Guinney
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Jimmy&Guinney »

Barca wrote:
Enabler wrote: Granted the scots are an odd people and Hendricks isn't my favorit gin but with a people with such a rich history of drinking you should turn you back on them so fast. Hell Laphroaig by itself should give them the right to make gin out of anything they wanted.
I would never blame an entire country for the efforts of one company, otherwise Foster's, Canadian Mist, Beck's, Amstel, Sapporo, and Zima would already have me hostilely disposed towards most of the world.
I would, however, give CREDIT to an entire country for the efforts of one company, and thus I heart the Gaels, the Germans, the Czechs, the Mexicans, the French, and even, (and sometimes espeically) the English.
And they say her flower is faded now
Hard weather and hard booze
But maybe that's just the price you pay
For the chains you refuse

Barca

Post by Barca »

Jimmy&Guinney wrote:
Barca wrote:
I would, however, give CREDIT to an entire country for the efforts of one company, and thus I heart the Gaels, the Germans, the Czechs, the Mexicans, the French, and even, (and sometimes espeically) the English.
True, I can love whole nations simply for the efforts of Vladimir Nabokov, Sergio Leone, or Frank Sinatra.

Hell, if I can love Kentucky, I can love anyone.

Arkady
Booze Head
Booze Head
Location: Here and there, now and then...and how are you, Mr. Wilson?

Post by Arkady »

Martini Time wrote:What is it about Martinis, you ask?

"A Drink with Something in It"

There is something about a Martini,
A tingle remarkably pleasant;
A yellow, a mellow Martini;
I wish I had one at present.
There is something about a Martini,
Ere the dining and dancing begin,
And to tell you the truth,
It is not the vermouth -
I think that perhaps it's the gin.

- Ogden Nash (1935)

Say no more.....
You beat me to it by a mile.

And don't ever tell me that appreciation and study of poetry is useless.
"Outside of a dog, a good book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

Arkady
Booze Head
Booze Head
Location: Here and there, now and then...and how are you, Mr. Wilson?

Post by Arkady »

And the Martini is the most elegant drink in the world.

At least for the last century, and well into this one.

Now, where is that goddamn Gin?
"Outside of a dog, a good book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."