Mental illness, drinking, and you

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Lifer
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Lifer »

Drugs are not the way to fix mental illness.

I was prescribed drugs for a mental defect when i was 10 years old and was on them until i was 17. They fucked with my weight, my sleep (insomniac for 10 years running), and my ability to function as a normal person without the drugs. Most Drugs that are prescribed for mental 'health' are highly adictive and easy to become dependent on.
I wouldn't suggest any drugs as a solution or mental problems unless the desired solution is complete sedation. Drugs change who a person is, and no one deserves that, no matter how crazy they are.
As cheesy as it is, the only thing that can help mental illness is love and support.

Drugs are not the answer
Bundy wrote:"I say Rooster old bean! sally forth with another pair of pink gins for these jolly lovely gels and we'll see if they arent up for a spot of rumpy pumpy before we have to dash off and give Jerry another sound thrashing, what? Tally ho!"

Ranger6
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Ranger6 »

I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough Without ever having felt sorry for itself

zak
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by zak »

Ranger6 wrote:Image
I have to agree with Rangers point on the subject. So if you don't have to live with her, go for it.
this post brought to you by #summerofmargaritas10 cause, yeah it's going to be that kinda of summer where mixed drinks with tequila is going to taste all types of good and stuff, this summer '10 get yourself some margaritas and holler at ya boy.

Oggar
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Oggar »

You story reminds me of a crazy girl I knew in Colorado. It ended horribly but doesn't every relationship? It was fun while it lasted. A relationship is like getting drunk you're not really going to enjoy it if you're just thinking about the hangover the whole time.
I can't write like Papa, you know I just ain't able
But if he came in here tonight, I'd drink him under the table -Ronny Elliott

RIP Mayhem, as long as I have a heart you are in it.

Peripat
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Peripat »

Oggar wrote:You story reminds me of a crazy girl I knew in Colorado. It ended horribly but doesn't every relationship? It was fun while it lasted. A relationship is like getting drunk you're not really going to enjoy it if you're just thinking about the hangover the whole time.
I think I just found my new sig.

I could comment more on this topic, but like the Libertarian thread... my good sense screams "stay away, stay away". So... erm, yeah.
from now on everyone on this board is on DST, or Drunkard Standard Time. - Tesko
Politics is just politics, drunkenness is life itself - Sgt. HSA

Ghost Cars On The Freeway

zak
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by zak »

Peripat wrote:
Oggar wrote:You story reminds me of a crazy girl I knew in Colorado. It ended horribly but doesn't every relationship? It was fun while it lasted. A relationship is like getting drunk you're not really going to enjoy it if you're just thinking about the hangover the whole time.
Oggar is good like that. My personal favorite is
Oggar wrote:Vodka, Bourbon, Whiskey, Gin, Tequila and Wine are fine but to me they all take a backseat to beer. Over 5000 breweries around the world cranking out upwards of 25,000 different beers. It's got more than flavor it's got legs, a body, a head, aroma, and character. At its best it's poetry in a glass. Beer is the friend you made on the first day of Kindergarten that still keeps in touch. Beer is the quiet drunk at the end of the bar. That uber-regular who's mere presence affirms the eternal nature of the universe. To Beer indeed.
but it won't fit into a signature.
this post brought to you by #summerofmargaritas10 cause, yeah it's going to be that kinda of summer where mixed drinks with tequila is going to taste all types of good and stuff, this summer '10 get yourself some margaritas and holler at ya boy.

instamattic
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by instamattic »

anyone worth knowing is a little bit cookoo. the undrunk "up with people" sorts that represent no issues really freak me out. I used to be a huge Northern Exposure fan. There was an episode (giggle) where Shelly was having halucinations. Chris, the resident hippie/DJ told her to go with the flow unless the (can't remember esactly) zombies were crawling up her leg.

So, let that freaky chik be freaky. Just be careful when she crawls up your leg. Especially, if she's dead.
MeanOldLady wrote: "this is my life. love it or fuck the fuck off."
daphne wrote: "wonderful licorice-tasting junk"

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

I am the poster girl for mental health, yet I know how to have a good time. You don't have to be crazy to enjoy yourself. I've never been/said anything/done anything/felt/been called crazy my entire life.

Really! I swear!

I like bourbon, too. 23 skiddoo and Calvin Coolidge too. Woo hoo!

:?
like tears in rain

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by GSG »

I know some pretty boring fuck-ups and some cool and interesting people who are fine and vice versa. It's the personality that counts. If you make your unhinnged-ness the only thing about you that you project you're at risk of becoming a pain to know.
"Spiny norman wins on the bizzare terror stakes, if you haven't been stared at by a 40-foot hedgehog, you haven't lived." - Saltandgin

"Every time you don't get loaded, the terrorists win." - massivedrunk

WWDJFD?

Drunk Tank
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Drunk Tank »

Either I'm psychotic or have the common sense of a rodeo clown! Either way I think the booze helps balance me out...it dosn't help me forget that I'm crazy but it gives me a damn good excuse for acting the way I do. As for your lady friend I would have her stick to booze. One addiction is good but two is dangerous. And what pill can do for a person what lady liqure can?
We aint leavin' 'till we're heavin'

Mine will be a life that no one will ever forget and that I shall never remember!

WastelessPointOfTime
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by WastelessPointOfTime »

3DrinksAhead wrote:i used to be terrified of going insane. It seriously kept me up nights worrying. Then it finaly happened. i went seriously off the deep end. For awhile i was finding "surveilance devices" all around my house. But i allways smashed them up and flushed them down the toilet before i could prove it to anyone. Luckily, i never did anything TOO nuts, but i probably should have been locked up for a bit. Now im just a fucking loon. But i can keep it straight most of the time.
Hey, me too, only I found something so strange I still don't like to think about what it is. How I found it wedged in the back of a drawer that wasn't even used at the time is part of the crazy. The drawer told me it was there. Or something. My wife at the time did get worried, but I came down after a while. Now I just consider it the coolest trip ever, and having been that far gone is rather empowering in a way.
"binary: being drunk makes me amazed at life"

23:22 <@fiyah> i need a new glass
23:22 <@fiyah> this one has ... toothpaste on it
23:22 <@fiyah> i hope it's toothpaste

21:15 <@fiyah> then again
21:15 <@fiyah> we just wash our hands
21:15 <@fiyah> splash water on our faces
21:15 <@fiyah> and see what's out there

The Ralphing Pumpkin
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by The Ralphing Pumpkin »

I wish I was crazy the time I found surveillance devices. A little perk from having a housemate who was going through a vicious divorce.

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

I'm not crazy. It's just that all of you are quite insane.
like tears in rain

rune
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by rune »

Nah, just momentary lapses of reason.

Jimmy&Guinney

Post by Jimmy&Guinney »

zak wrote:
Peripat wrote:
Oggar is good like that. My personal favorite is
Oggar wrote:Vodka, Bourbon, Whiskey, Gin, Tequila and Wine are fine but to me they all take a backseat to beer. Over 5000 breweries around the world cranking out upwards of 25,000 different beers. It's got more than flavor it's got legs, a body, a head, aroma, and character. At its best it's poetry in a glass. Beer is the friend you made on the first day of Kindergarten that still keeps in touch. Beer is the quiet drunk at the end of the bar. That uber-regular who's mere presence affirms the eternal nature of the universe. To Beer indeed.
but it won't fit into a signature.
Absolutly. Without exageration one of the bests posts ever.
And they say her flower is faded now
Hard weather and hard booze
But maybe that's just the price you pay
For the chains you refuse