Taste of alcohol

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Veritas593
Tippler
Tippler

Taste of alcohol

Post by Veritas593 »

I've been drinking for a while now and I'm still not used to the taste of hard liqour. How does one start to actually like the taste of bourbons, and gins? Mostly I just stick to beer since I'm really light, and it gets the job done.

G_W
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by G_W »

Drink what you like.
steved wrote:Proof is just information.
"We're all in a freak show. It's called life. Buy a ticket and enjoy the ride." - Foamy the Squirrel

Crystal
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by Crystal »

It's all a matter of taste. If you don't enjoy the taste of hard liquor, then I feel for you. It's the greatest thing... EVER. I have been drinking strictly Bourbon lately. Try sipping it as opposed to shooting. Try this: take some Maker's Mark, ice and water. Let the drink get cold and then SIP it. If you try this and you don't enjoy it, I will come up with some other tricks for you.
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
GFYCMD- Go Fuck Yourself, Captain Mike Davis.

liquor&poker
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by liquor&poker »

Little by little I guess?

Like mix a little stronger each time?

MoreEvilThanSkeletor
Souse
Souse

Post by MoreEvilThanSkeletor »

I had that problem back in early high school, I could barely tell the difference between 20 proof beer and Gin Pomelo (that's grapefruit to some of you).

I went through the akward phases of gagging and vomiting, gagging and vomiting... then drinking some more, to just vomiting then drinking then vomiting, and so on. Until one day, I realised I liked the taste of whisk(e)y, gin, vodka, and good rum. Never again would I drink the $0.50 "brandy", or beers that had the word "beer" more than once on the label. Yessir, I liked it strong but comforting.
The Evil Atheist Conspiracy: What black helicopters?

greygoose
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Taste of alcohol

Post by greygoose »

Veritas593 wrote:I've been drinking for a while now and I'm still not used to the taste of hard liqour. How does one start to actually like the taste of bourbons, and gins? Mostly I just stick to beer since I'm really light, and it gets the job done.
I think this is the point in the conversation where you offer to buy us a round, being new and all. Welcome, by the way.

WT101, neat.

Crystal
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Re: Taste of alcohol

Post by Crystal »

Grey Goose wrote:
Veritas593 wrote:I've been drinking for a while now and I'm still not used to the taste of hard liqour. How does one start to actually like the taste of bourbons, and gins? Mostly I just stick to beer since I'm really light, and it gets the job done.
I think this is the point in the conversation where you offer to buy us a round, being new and all. Welcome, by the way.

WT101, neat.
I'll take what he is having!
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Phirefighter
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Phirefighter »

Belvedere on the rocks for me
"Ten thousand dollars! With that kind of money we could be millionaires!" -- Homer Simpson
HappyDrunk wrote: I could only be more scary drunk and in a moving object!

http://www.myspace.com/rockd

Veritas593
Tippler
Tippler

Post by Veritas593 »

I was shooting some maker's mark yesterday it went down okay. I'll try sipping it with water and ice that sounds delicious.

Crystal
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by Crystal »

Veritas593 wrote:I was shooting some maker's mark yesterday it went down okay. I'll try sipping it with water and ice that sounds delicious.
i win!

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

liquor&poker wrote:Little by little I guess?

Like mix a little stronger each time?
Here we have good advice, saying in other words, you've got to ease into that bathwater. It can burn your ass at first, but once you're fully immersed it's the best feeling in the world.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

daphne
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God
Location: Washington. Home of JZ Knight and other nuts, which is why we drink here.

Post by daphne »

And start with something of quality that is known for being smooth. I have been drinking Dickel lately, not the sourmash but the original whiskey, and it's so smooth that it makes Elijah Craig seem oversweet and cloying (but I know it's not).

Other things to do are drink it on the rocks, or with a splash of soda or orange or lemon twist.

You could also start with the brandies or liqueurs, like Grand Marnier. It's a start to something more intense. And definitely listen to Gerald. Drink what you like. Just try as many things as you can.
RIP Frederick and my beloved GatorX
You deserve all the puffery you can get
daph and grip say "bourbony goodness!"
http://daphneszoo.com/

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by GSG »

A very smooth gin I tried recently was Juniper Green Organic gin. That might be nice to start getting used to because you can taste all the botanicals very clearly and get to know gin's wonderful subtleties without jumping in with something cheap and gut-rotting. Other than my two penneth, I'd follow Lady Red and L&P's advice.
"Spiny norman wins on the bizzare terror stakes, if you haven't been stared at by a 40-foot hedgehog, you haven't lived." - Saltandgin

"Every time you don't get loaded, the terrorists win." - massivedrunk

WWDJFD?

grippingthewheel

Post by grippingthewheel »

Hmmmmm...interesting.

As far as booze goes. Try a pseudo-scientific approach. Buy a pint of Rebel Yell and a fifth of say Maker's or Knob Creek. For a delicate palate such as yours, drop an ice cube in a two tumblers. Side by side sip back and forth, you'll be thankful for the fifth of better booze. You can duplicate this with Vodka (Skoal & Schmernoff), Rum (bottom shelf pint & Sailor Jerry), gins, etc.. Then you can explore the middle shelf to find value and taste.

Most don't like the beers I drink because they're too hoppy or malty or chocolatly, complex, high ABV, etc. It's hard to go back unless medicinal/maintenance is involved. But as Freud said, sometimes a beer is just beer when it's 110 degrees outside.

Good luck and be patient. It's a journey of discovery not a frat party.
"Please welcomce in all his diluted glory the man whose story writes itself not unlike mine who feveriously types awaiting his next sip before the whipping, anticiapation is making me want to strangle someone." ~whiskyprick

Crockpot
Tippler
Tippler

Post by Crockpot »

Who the fuck drinks alcohol for the taste?