Suggest-A-Rum

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Suggest-A-Rum

Post by Badfellow »

Yes, I admit it. I've been on a rum run lately. Sailor Jerry, Ron Matusalem, the famous Guatemalans Zaya y Zacapa. However, I'm looking to expand my horizons further afield and into the cane.

In the short term, I'll remedy this with a trip to the candy store and see what pops off the shelf. In the long term, I'll be in Chicago in the near future and I plan on devoting time to visiting several of the city's better purveyors.

What do you folks suggest for an aged premium rum I'm likely to run across?

Oggar
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Oggar »

I'd say a trip to the Liquor Depot is in order. They have an entire Rum aisle! And their Wall of Scotch.
I can't write like Papa, you know I just ain't able
But if he came in here tonight, I'd drink him under the table -Ronny Elliott

RIP Mayhem, as long as I have a heart you are in it.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Oggar wrote:I'd say a trip to the Liquor Depot is in order. They have an entire Rum aisle! And their Wall of Scotch.
Indeed.

That's actually stop #2 on the way back from the Blue Max in Burnsville. Stop #3 is Surdyks, and maybe France 44 if I get really neurotic. I got the day off and a wad of cash, and I ain't afraid of wasting both.

slipperyyoke
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by slipperyyoke »

Gosling's Old Rum (Bermuda)
Zaya 12 Yr. Old (Guatamala)
El Dorado 15 Yr. Old (Guyana)
Rhum Barbancourt 15 Yr. Old (Haiti)
Flor de Cana 12/21 Yr. Old (Nicaragua)

That's just a few of the top ones that come to mind. Happy hunting good sir. Looking at that list, one thing becomes painfully obvious...I don't have any Rum whatsoever in my house at this time. :x How the fuck did that happen?
The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

MeanOldLady
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by MeanOldLady »

gosling's is good for you. the black seal is so smooth that even non rum drinkers will drink it straight and adore it.
"Vodka is the Harry Potter of Booze, fun at first but ultimately unsatisfying and made for children." -The Lush

"If you can't trust the inner monkey, who can you trust?" -F. Sott Blitzedgerald

"this thread should be called WEAK drunk pics. more people should be bloody and passed out" -old crow

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Resident Asshole »

I'm not much of a rum guy but Crown Special Reserve is some good stuff.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

slipperyyoke wrote:Zaya 12 Yr. Old (Guatamala)
El Dorado 15 Yr. Old (Guyana)
Rhum Barbancourt 15 Yr. Old (Haiti)
Flor de Cana 12/21 Yr. Old (Nicaragua)
Picked up a bottle of each.

Hadn't had the Barbancourt before. It deserves a review a.k.a. getting drunk midafternoon tasting it.

I'll try the Gosslings next on your's and MOL's advice.

Oche
Souse
Souse

Post by Oche »

Barbancourt Rum 15 years is superb!(a must); 5 years is great! (5 stars); and 3 years (3 stars) is good...
43% vol
Try any of the"Brugal" rums too...you won't be dissapointed... (Dominican)

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Bluto »

Appleton's makes a rum that is supposedly aged for 18 years. I can't remeber the name of it off th top of my head, but Ihad some while in jamaica. It was delicious. Actually, I've found that even their bottom of the barrel rums are fairly palatable, so I'd say anythin by Appleton is a ggod bet.
After typing all that out, I realize that it will likely be of little help to you, but I say, " Screw it", I'm going to post it anyway. Best of luck on you endeavors.

Blackneto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Blackneto »

I'm a big fan of Pusser's Navy Rum when i can get it.

Even has a recipe for grog on the side of it.
it's all chaff, a striving after the wind.

Nil
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Nil »

Earlier today, I headed down to the campus off-licence, whistling merrily as I contemplated the spirituous purchases to be made therein. Once inside, I perused the shelves happily for a while, contemplating and comparing the relative merits of the various intriguing bottles (Kirsch, Black Sambucca, a few tequilas I'd never seen before) when inspired by this very thread, I decided that tonight would be Rum Night. As my gaze travelled methodically down the rows, I began to realise something was very, very wrong. Surely this couldn't be? Double-check. Yup, that's OVD right there in the little 20cl bottle, but I need more than that to satisfy me. Still something was amiss, but I couldn't force myself to face the horrible conclusion. A triple-check finally forced me to accept the terrible truth - they don't stock rum (except Malibu, but civilized gentlemen should not speak of such terrible things). I wasn't expecting anything special, maybe some OVD or Trawler, even some Bacardi would suffice. Nothing.

To cut a long story short, it seems my next visit to the Tesco in town will be much sooner than I had anticipated.
Warren Ellis wrote:Only perverts put ice in single malt Scotch.

Blackneto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Blackneto »

just picked up a 5th of Sailor Jerry. going to give it a run.

I will report later. or when i remember to.
it's all chaff, a striving after the wind.

cloud8
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by cloud8 »

Blackneto wrote:I'm a big fan of Pusser's Navy Rum when i can get it.

Even has a recipe for grog on the side of it.
I just bought a fifth of Pusser's Navy Rum for $18 at the NH Liquor Store! My local charges $30. Also a fifth of Barbancourt for $15. Not bad, eh?
"Never apologise for being in the Bourbon aisle."
--Smatter Noguts

I Enjoy Alcohol
Souse
Souse

Post by I Enjoy Alcohol »

Black Seal and Sailor Jerry definitely are enjoyable rums. Another great one, if you happen upon it, is New Orleans Rum or, as it says on the label, N.O. Rum. It's the one with the cork cap.

You won't be sorry.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

I Enjoy Alcohol wrote:Another great one, if you happen upon it, is New Orleans Rum or, as it says on the label, N.O. Rum. It's the one with the cork cap.

You won't be sorry.
Thanks for the Suggest-A-Rum. I'll keep an eye out for it when I get a bit further down country.

Blackneto wrote:I'm a big fan of Pusser's Navy Rum when i can get it.
Well, I finally found a fifth today. Warm cheeks and butterscotch belches. This rum is fine drinking, and I can see why all those blokes in the British Navy were pissed, unfortunately in the Yank sense of the word, to give up their daily tot.

I'll be "splicing the main brace" tonight. Double rum rations for all!
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ