Happy Birthday Hank

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Jimmy&Guinney
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Happy Birthday Hank

Post by Jimmy&Guinney »

Hiram King Williams was born 85 years ago today to a domineering ma and lumberjack pa and with a spinal deformity that caused the physical pain which helped write the better chunk of the American country songbook. Lonesome never sounded so good. Here is about the best visual evidence of Hank at his most Hankiest. It was a spot on the Kate Smith Evening Hour, amidst his final spiral that eventualy lead to his death at 29 in a sky blue Cadilac on a Lost Highway somewhere in West Virginia. But he got it together that night, his Nudie fringes swaying in perfect time to the music and though crooning about the most pitiful emotional trajedy, I reckon, he's smiling with every sense of belonging in the vortex of the proto-rockabilly storm that was just now beginning to change America utterly forever. He's almost cocky. The sheer volume of recording standards that he wrote and performed in his barely 4 year career is staggering by any standard. In his honor today, don't merely have a drink for him. Hank was a beligerant binge drunk of the worse kind. While I'm not sure what his usual was, I'd say keep it simple, plain spoken and heartbroken. But don't go shooting the door while lying in bed. You're not in that league.....we'll never see his likes again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgj7z11ksu8

Also, RIP Don Helms the steel guitar master of his Drifting Cowboys who just died a month ago.
And they say her flower is faded now
Hard weather and hard booze
But maybe that's just the price you pay
For the chains you refuse

Hoist That Rag
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Re: Happy Birthday Hank

Post by Hoist That Rag »

Happy birthday to you Hank. One of the greatest
I already know the ending, I'm just watching from the start to see how it all unfolds

hossthomas
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by hossthomas »

Happy birthday Hank, the best country musician ever born. I'm already drinking while listening to his music, but that's a daily thing for me.
into each life a little stroh's must fall - surreal

i told my landlord and all the other tenants they could fuck off if they don't like hank- hellbound glory

Cowboy Joe
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Cowboy Joe »

I love Hank. One of the greats...not just of country music, but of songwriting, period.

drunkonthemoon
Tippler
Tippler

Post by drunkonthemoon »

Oh I didn't realise it was Hank's Birthday. Good excuse to revisit his music tonight, quiet drink in hand.
Hank's like a reward you get for having your heart broken.