Sailor Jerry

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Negromancer
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Sailor Jerry

Post by Negromancer »

Alright! I found that my local state-controlled liquor store, creatively named "The Wine Monopoly"(Which is fitting I suppose, since that is just what it is!), stocks Sailor Jerry! Not only that: It's aparently one of TWO Wine Monopoly locales in the country that stocks Sailor Jerry. Now, I've seen the name thrown around a lot and it seems people are into this. My question then is the following; should I check it out? What should I expect?

I'm naturally sceptical to all booze-brands that is dubbed from some modern popular icon. I'm not sure if I would have too high expectations for the quality of say, KISS bourbon, Andy Warhol vodka or Stephen King gin. Then again, we have a brand of cognac here that is marketed by and named after these cheesy bastards:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXthUZPj ... re=related

Also, is it supposed to be 40% Alc(80proof???)? I thought I read 92 proof somewhere.
"The best drink of the day, was the drink he had in his head before the first drink of the day."

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Re: Sailor Jerry

Post by Wingman »

it's a very good spiced rum. here's their website:

http://www.sailorjerryrum.com/index.php

if you're looking to try something different, give it a go.
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

l...
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by l... »

THE sailor jerry is the most awesome of rums.
we stock it at work. it's a wonder i don't get fired.
That's what I call Drunkard justice. I hate prisses like that. They're mincing their way through life when they should be marching. ~fkr.

I wish i could find me a woman who drinks!~ruiner..on lack of women drinkers.

Negromancer
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Negromancer »

I went and had a look at it at the store and I noticed it said it was with lime and vanilla? is this the same as the original spiced rum? All I can find online is that there supposedly are at least to different versions of jerry, one with slightly less alcohol content than the other, but as far as I gather this alco-fascist regime only import the weaker one.
"The best drink of the day, was the drink he had in his head before the first drink of the day."

l...
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by l... »

the sailor jerry i know is spiced rum w/ a hint of cherry.
DELICIOUS.
i know not of this lime you speak of.
That's what I call Drunkard justice. I hate prisses like that. They're mincing their way through life when they should be marching. ~fkr.

I wish i could find me a woman who drinks!~ruiner..on lack of women drinkers.

Negromancer
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Negromancer »

I believe it was this

EGad987
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by EGad987 »

That is a totally different label from the 92 proof SJ I get. Methinks that's possibly a new version akin to Malibu rum, or there is treachery afoot at your local nazi booze store. You can probably search the MDM mag's page for the review and get a picture, as it was in the magazine. That's how I found out about it. Good luck finding the real thing and PM me if you can't, we may have to set up a bottle exchange program.

Negromancer
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Negromancer »

That reminds me of another bottle exchange I was planning with Elvislution here! I'll have to look into that, because the regulation on booze here is gruesome. I think it has to be processed with the customs here before it is posted, maybe they'll tax it, I don't know.

Having a wine monopoly has its pros and cons: On one hand it is a heavy retardation in the factor of choice, since there is this panel that selects which booze is good enough for the rest of the Norwegian people: "What? This brand has SEVERAL varieties? I say we go for ONE of them... Let's go for the weaker one for a start!"

Then again it's nice to have one place where you can get anything the country has to offer above 4.7 abv. Provided you have one of these stores near you, that is. Some municipalities even have beer monopolies- as if a state-run monopoly on liquor wasn't bad enough: This is usually in the most remote religious areas of the country. Imagine; you have to drive for an our just to get yourself a six-pack. Then again, these places usually have a far wider selection than most supermarkets.

Edit: Found it, and it doesen't look the same. Also, it's 92 proof- not 80 like I have here.

EGad987
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by EGad987 »

Trust me I know how it feels. The booze laws in the state I live in are arcane.

But this is the SJ that everyone talks about.

Label is a bit different, it's 92 proof and is a spiced rum with hints of chery and a bit of vanilla. But I think this is the only variety they make as far as I know, so I'm not sure if the bottle in your picture is a new version or a knockoff or an export version, but if the price is reasonable I'd say try it. Post a review and we can all compare notes.

EGad987
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by EGad987 »

Gah, I type too slow. Also the label is kind of a yellow-tan color paper now, but that's the stuff. Maybe try the norwegian version, seems similar enough. Let us know if it is any good.

Negromancer
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Negromancer »

Man, when it says it's blended with vanilla and lime they're not lying. The vanilla hit my nose the second I opened the bottle. It's really smooth and sweet, with a good spicy taste. Actually a lot sweeter than I expected, I think I can keep to drinking this neatly without mixing it, though I think I'll go down to the immigrant cornershop to pick up some Jamaican root beer just to see how they go toghether.

I had to put on some Martin Denny to really soak up the experience.

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

Negromancer wrote:Man, when it says it's blended with vanilla and lime they're not lying. The vanilla hit my nose the second I opened the bottle. It's really smooth and sweet, with a good spicy taste. Actually a lot sweeter than I expected, I think I can keep to drinking this neatly without mixing it, though I think I'll go down to the immigrant cornershop to pick up some Jamaican root beer just to see how they go toghether.

I had to put on some Martin Denny to really soak up the experience.
It's real easy to drink neat, eh?

I ought to be good for the booze exchange at the start of May!

JohnnyT

Post by JohnnyT »

I really should try this Sailor Jerry that everyone's been talking about. The store had it for $15/fifth yesterday. Seems reasonable.

I have a question, though. Does it get you drunk?

greygoose
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by greygoose »

JohnnyTequila wrote:I really should try this Sailor Jerry that everyone's been talking about. The store had it for $15/fifth yesterday. Seems reasonable.

I have a question, though. Does it get you drunk?
The shit is smooth and will sneak up on you ninja-style.
why is my moral compass always pointed east? that's the direction of the nearest liquor store.

Chimneyfish
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Chimneyfish »

I used to love Sailor, but now I'm starting to think that I'm allergic to it. It makes me break out in handcuffs.