The art of the art of drinking alone

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

The art of the art of drinking alone

Post by coqui_chris »

"I was definitely interested in photographing people alone," Stolfa says. "You get a very different reaction if you photograph them with their friends. In that is embedded a certain degree of loneliness, but there's a certain amount of wanting to engage socially."
An article on a new book of photographs of regulars at one of Philly's iconic dive bars, McGlinchey's:
http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainm ... r=facebook
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

BigDog49
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Re: The art of the art of drinking alone

Post by BigDog49 »

1.35 mugs. Nice. I want one.

Grace O'Malley
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Grace O'Malley »

I'm drinking alone. I prefer it.
Mayhem is everywhere.

drunkensooner
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by drunkensooner »

if you drink alone, you don't have to wear pants. People get upset when you do that in public.
Getting drunk was good. I decided that I would always like getting drunk. It took away the obvious and maybe if you could get away from the obvious often enough, you wouldn't become obvious yourself - Bukowski

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

drunkensooner wrote:if you drink alone, you don't have to wear pants. People get upset when you do that in public.
Some folks dislike confronting the shortcomings of others.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

MeanOldLady
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by MeanOldLady »

*da dum kish*

and no uppity waitress has ever thrown me out of my own apartment.
"Vodka is the Harry Potter of Booze, fun at first but ultimately unsatisfying and made for children." -The Lush

"If you can't trust the inner monkey, who can you trust?" -F. Sott Blitzedgerald

"this thread should be called WEAK drunk pics. more people should be bloody and passed out" -old crow

drunkensooner
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by drunkensooner »

peetie44 wrote:
drunkensooner wrote:if you drink alone, you don't have to wear pants. People get upset when you do that in public.
Some folks dislike confronting the shortcomings of others.
Thanks. Or wait...

Are you pointing and laughing? That's my only clue as to whether people are laughing with me, or at me...
Getting drunk was good. I decided that I would always like getting drunk. It took away the obvious and maybe if you could get away from the obvious often enough, you wouldn't become obvious yourself - Bukowski

Rip Rufus
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway
Location: On the border of Pineys Everywhere and Gaudy Summer Homes. Not far from Ghetto in the Woods.

Post by Rip Rufus »

MeanOldLady wrote:and no uppity waitress has ever thrown me out of my own apartment.
But I have been told to get off my lazy ass and get my own damn beer. Sometimes even the service at home sucks. Until I teach the girlfriend's cat how to fetch me beers...
"You know, you remind me of a poem I can't remember, and a song that may never have existed, and a place I'm not sure I've ever been to." - A.J.S.

Hardcore Stig
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Hardcore Stig »

Few years back I set up a "tradition" with myself, twice a year (normally summer and winter solstice purely as they are easy to remember) I like to sit alone with a bottle and just get to know my monkey. Not gonna go all moonchld and say it's brought on epiphanys or anything but I think you need to drink alone from time to time, just to have some one to one time with your monkey.
"That's only a problem if you stop drinking"

"Nationality? I'm a drunkard, and that makes me a man of the world"

"The word "pub" should never need to be followed by the word "why""

old crow
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by old crow »

love it. new roommates already commented on my apparent drinking problem, been here a week and almost through 3 handles. i personally thought i was taking it easy. i cut down on partying on the front porch with thenm and mostly just chill alone and drink and read

billbrasky
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by billbrasky »

Hardcore Stig wrote:Few years back I set up a "tradition" with myself, twice a year (normally summer and winter solstice purely as they are easy to remember) I like to sit alone with a bottle and just get to know my monkey. Not gonna go all moonchld and say it's brought on epiphanys or anything but I think you need to drink alone from time to time, just to have some one to one time with your monkey.
You only have one on one time with your "monkey" twice a year?!
the friends' discussions focus on admiration of Brasky's superhuman accomplishments, usually focused on his huge size, virility, celebrity connections, amazing tolerance for alcohol, and reckless disregard for human life.

redshift

Post by redshift »

I am drinking alone today. I bought myself my first (I know...gasp!) real single malt with my own hard earned money at the duty free on the way back home from England land. A 10 year old Glengoyne scotch. I've had single malts before but never really appreciated them before in my frat boy retardness. And they were pretty hard for me to drink. Too strong. Yeah, I was a Voddie/Jack and coke man till recently.

I just opened the bottle. I am telling you, this simple act of getting the bottle out of the beautiful box and opening the cork for the first time in itself has so much theater and occasion to it. It just feels right. Of course, it helps that it is my first good bottle of booze in a very long time.

I will be here on the forum all day (and night) savoring the whiskey and catching up on the events for the past 2 weeks when I was off on vacation.

Cheers folks! Good to be back.
The What?? I hate signature images!

Shot Time

Post by Shot Time »

right now I'm doing a Power Hour alone. Although I'm on the internet so I guess that's not alone.
Use to be cool

drunkensooner
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by drunkensooner »

Shot Time wrote:right now I'm doing a Power Hour alone. Although I'm on the internet so I guess that's not alone.
Yeah, I used to drink alone too. But when you're here, your surrounded by like minded drunk folks, which is amazing. Have fun man. If you want even more fun, throw a shot or two of liquor in that power hour.

swingbozo
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by swingbozo »

When you are drinking alone, at least you are drinking with someone you love.
Booze is the answer to life's questions.