Neat or on the rocks?

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

paperclip
Tippler
Tippler

Re: Neat or on the rocks?

Post by paperclip »

I don't think there's ever going to be a definitive solution to this question. A lot of people like at least a splash of water in high-proof liquor to release the aromas and other characteristics of the booze in question (I do agree with earlier poster RE: clear liquor in the freezer, brown at room temp).

However, even knowing and experiencing it, I tend to use some ice with my day-to-day bourbons, since they're not top shelf (e.g. Ezra Brooks and WT101). I don't think water would open them up quite enough, but I think the ice adds something very useful. My other daily pour, though, Bulleit, I think is best enjoyed neat, so who knows my tastes.

Also, I think it's useful to make your own cubes, as it were. I didn't bother to buy ice cube trays for years and just froze a big block of water in a bowl and broke it into pieces, but they were huge. Interestingly, I've found I like using the huge chunks of ice for my drinks better than actual ice cubes. Maybe there's some coolinig vs melting ratio or something, I du no, but the larger chunks are awesome. So, pay attention to the ice.

Chimneyfish
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Chimneyfish »

It's all bullshit. Most liquors are already primarily water. Another couple drops aren't going to change much. Just open a bottle and drink it, it's not hard.

beerkegbilly
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God
Location: in a hollow of a tree or in a wishing well but alway on my pot of gold really Penna USA

Post by beerkegbilly »

I say neat all the way

wired
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by wired »

At home I usually keep the bottles in the fridge. I like cold whiskey but not watered down. The great thing about drinking at the house is the glass becomes optional.

At the bar I'll go for rocks. Unless it's a specialty whiskey bar in which case all rules go out the window and the enjoyment comes from the experiments and advice of the bartender. A little ice or even a little soda can enhance whiskey in different ways.

beerkegbilly
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God
Location: in a hollow of a tree or in a wishing well but alway on my pot of gold really Penna USA

Post by beerkegbilly »

I said neat but my wife turned me on to ice but only one ice cubic

The Limey
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by The Limey »

Neat. Always. Unless it's really hot, then a single cube of ice in a blend. I accidentally swallowed a few ice cubes in my time, with those stones i reckon with inebriation are dangerous choking hazard. Some new ones have come out that are capable of removing teeth on the last gulp.

binary
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by binary »

I usually drink my whisk(e)y on the rocks, I think its because I'm not a fan of room temp drinks at all. I feel that putting a bottle in the freezer kills the taste a lot more than adding ice, provided that you don't dawdle so long that the ice melts too much. I can sip neat, but that's for nicer spirits, and even then adding some water can open the flavor.

I guess neat with a beer back wouldn't be so bad, I really just need something cold to drink.

BBoozer
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by BBoozer »

binary wrote:I usually drink my whisk(e)y on the rocks, I think its because I'm not a fan of room temp drinks at all. I feel that putting a bottle in the freezer kills the taste a lot more than adding ice, provided that you don't dawdle so long that the ice melts too much. I can sip neat, but that's for nicer spirits, and even then adding some water can open the flavor.

I guess neat with a beer back wouldn't be so bad, I really just need something cold to drink.
I'm not sure about that. Chasing whisky with beer... I mean, it is feasible, but then you really have to choose your whisky/beer combination carefully. I hope you don't use that Budweiser piss as a chaser.

Miklo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Miklo »

BBoozer wrote: I hope you don't use that Budweiser piss as a chaser.
Whats wrong with budwiser? nothing, damn good beer.

unless its a hot summer day, spirits should be neat. when the sun is out, some rocks are inorder to keep you cool. i will confess, on other occasions i do add about 3 ice cubes, but for day to day drinking, i say neat.
“And in my mind, this settles the issue. I would never drink cologne, and am therefore not an alcoholic.”
― Augusten Burroughs

BBoozer

Post by BBoozer »

Miklo wrote:
BBoozer wrote: I hope you don't use that Budweiser piss as a chaser.
Whats wrong with budwiser? nothing, damn good beer.

unless its a hot summer day, spirits should be neat. when the sun is out, some rocks are inorder to keep you cool. i will confess, on other occasions i do add about 3 ice cubes, but for day to day drinking, i say neat.
Well, i do stand corrected. As Budweiser has no taste at all, it comes as a perfect chaser.

BBoozer

Post by BBoozer »

Then again, food pairing is hot, so why isn't booze pairing?

beerkegbilly
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by beerkegbilly »

On warmer days I love the rocks in my drink with a chilled bottle

JimLahey
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by JimLahey »

For me it depends on the quality of the liquor. If it's something cheap, some ice might help it out, but I would never do that to a nice scotch for example. And yeah, room temperature helps you experience that great "burn" more acutely.

beerkegbilly
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by beerkegbilly »

one ice cubic help the favor mix up or a little water to it

John Barleycorn

Post by John Barleycorn »

I do things on a liquor by liquor basis.

Gin: Ice is fine. Although it would be interesting if someone would come up with a 126 or 150 or even 180 proof and heavily laden with botanicals Gin in order to make it so that a good martini could be simply poured into a glass with ice and vermouth without having to strain it. Anyone who is telling you that ice doesn't belong in a gin and tonic is a putz.

Scotch: Single malts I don't ice. However I have waited for cool damp weather to enjoy them. I may add a few drops of water. I am afraid to drown my single malt. Blended scotch, well if I'm making a scotch and soda (a drink which has charms apart from those available by drinking scotch alone) I'll use ice. With blended scotch I've always found it good to taste first, and add ice later.

Bourbon: I've never had a bourbon more fancy than maker's mark 46. With a good bourbon I'll taste it neat and maybe add an ice cube instead of the splash of water that single malt gets. If I feel the need for a cold Buffalo trace, I'll make it happen.