Guinness In Ireland...

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: Guinness In Ireland...

Post by Patchez »

Palinka Morningstar wrote:Image
I'd drink a Guinness with this squirrel. Hell I'd drink a Guinness with any of you squirrels.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Patchez wrote:...Hell I'd drink a Guinness with any of you...
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

Mr. Viking wrote:Also, the guinness made in England was consistently of a better quality than that made in Ireland, and led the change to more modern production processes which have made it possible to get better quaity beer exported without going completely sour.

As for the anti-nationalist bent of Arthur Guinness, that was normal for the time, the same way segregation was in the US. Had he not held those views it would have been difficult to do business with English distributors (Their success has always been down to aggressive oversea sales) and would not have become the ubiquitous drink it is today. You might not even have heard of it.

My great grandfather worked at St. James' Gate after retiring from the military. It was understood that you should be protestant and if you wanted to marry a catholic lady you would be asked to resign. History isn't pretty
They also thought about disavowing their Irishness in the 1980s due to the Troubles and bad branding.

But more practical and international for me is that although they didn't lock out workers in 1913 Lockout, they subsequently fired suspected union agitators following the defeat of the strike. And in today the 21st century their globalization has led them to closing and eliminating many union jobs.
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

coqui_chris wrote:They also thought about disavowing their Irishness in the 1980s due to the Troubles and bad branding...
Actually, that was more down to the revelation, which came to light during that late 1970s and early 1980s, that the IRA had made some very shady deals with the Nazis during World War II. Since some of the plans involved killing US troops, as they arrived in mainland Britain and, later, those US troops that were stationed in Northern Ireland, it was a bit embarrassing for global "Irish" companies.

You can watch an American documentary about it, by clicking here.

However, we are getting off topic and tipping into the realm of PWoB. So, let's let the politics drop and discuss the drink.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

Palinka wrote:So, let's let the politics drop and discuss the drink.
Aye aye, sir.

To those who are interested:

A long time ago, I watched this, while simultaneously demolishing a case of Guinness.

Guinness Documentary

This is not where I obtained it, so if the link goes dead, simply search the 'tube for megafactories guinness.
"Booznik. Smooth, classy and manatee-like." --Bur

"Oh, you've been reading your Sir Kenelm Digby, haven't you? Stick to the mead recipes, especially that of the Mayor of Moscovy. That shizz is SACK!!!" --Badfellow

"Now stop and DRINK! bastards." --mistah willies

"A stand alone place for booze is as essential for a home, as is a bed to sleep on." --Miklo