Carrying a flask

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Aloysius_of_Tahiti
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Carrying a flask

Post by Aloysius_of_Tahiti »

I was in the mall yesterday and had my trusty flask in my coat pocket, and after I did some shopping I stopped in the food court for a slice of cheese and a coke. As I ate, I thought, "You know what would make this even better? A splash of whiskey!"
I reached for my flask but then I got all self-conscious. There were kids running around and families roaming at large and half-wits cleaning the tables. And there was I: the only one smiling, the only one with no responsibilities and loving it, the only one with a flask in my pocket.
So I said out loud, "Ah, fuck it." Then I poured a good dose of whiskey down my gullet and polished off my slice.

Glasgae Sam
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Re: Carrying a flask

Post by Glasgae Sam »

Good show!

Recently I was on a bus home to visit my mum, and pulled out my flask for a nip. An old guy (maybe in his 70's) caught my eye, and at first I took his stare for judgment and I sorta felt bad. But then after I held his gaze for a couple of seconds I realised he wasn't judging me, he was nodding with approval. I think he was saying (without actually saying anything) "Where did that go anyway? I much prefer a man with a flask to a dumb kid with a bottle of cheap cider". To his eyes I was probably still a dumb kid, but one who appreciated a tradition his own generation took as normal. I'd take my flask to work every day if I didn't think it would get me fired.
Let us have wine and women, mirth and laughter,
Sermons and soda water the day after.

www.drunchblog.com <- it's full of pictures of epic breakfasts made by me and my friends. That's about it.

Aloysius_of_Tahiti
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Aloysius_of_Tahiti »

Having a flask is a pretty great tradition. What the hell happened to it? Sorta like wearing a suit & fedora every day, carrying a flask is a nod to days gone by.

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

Glasgae Sam wrote: Recently I was on a bus home to visit my mum, and pulled out my flask for a nip. An old guy (maybe in his 70's) caught my eye, and at first I took his stare for judgment and I sorta felt bad. But then after I held his gaze for a couple of seconds I realised he wasn't judging me, he was nodding with approval. I think he was saying (without actually saying anything) "Where did that go anyway? I much prefer a man with a flask to a dumb kid with a bottle of cheap cider". To his eyes I was probably still a dumb kid, but one who appreciated a tradition his own generation took as normal. I'd take my flask to work every day if I didn't think it would get me fired.
you didn't offer him a nip?!? punk.
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

Jiggers McCoy
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Jiggers McCoy »

It may have been FKR who pointed out that drinking from a flask has a kind of old-timey, charming mischievousness to it, but drinking straight from a bottle = degenerate, at least in some people's eyes.

It's always nice when drunkards recognize each other and share a little moment. The world can be a cold and lonely place, filled with the judging stares of the professionally undrunk, but those in the know seem to gravitate towards each other.

I haven't been out and about with my flask in a while. Might be time to dust the old thing off and shock some squares.
• "Avoiding the darker alcohols like bourbon, red wine and dark rum might lessen [a hangover] and you might also dance better if you wear a tutu instead of trousers." - FKR

• "If you wanna 'talk about' my drinking, it better be about how fucking awesome it is." - Me

Miklo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Miklo »

I try to carry mine as much a possible, for sure i will always have it at the movies, pool, beach, and sports games. A night out is not compleate without the flask, and work... i have brought it once, but i felt like everyone could hear the sound of the whiskey splashing around on a loud speaker so i never brought it back.
“And in my mind, this settles the issue. I would never drink cologne, and am therefore not an alcoholic.”
― Augusten Burroughs

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Bluto »

I carry a small 3 oz flask in my shoulder bag everywhere I go. Be that work, the grocery store, what have you. It's the truly emergency stash.

Last weekend I had a chancce to use another flask, though. It's the one I received from Patchex in last year's HBE. I broke it out at deer camp. Everyone from the guys in my hunting party to the 70+ year old crew was mighty impressed. I was able to use to introduce some of the younger guys to the joys of Old Overholt Rye while the older generation simply nodded in approval.

It was a hell of a good night.
Going to happy hour and not drinking is like going to an orgy and masturbating. You just took a great idea and turned it into a circle jerk. -Sixpack595

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Rock on with the OO Bluto. You got a pic of that flask? Just curious about a flask from Patchez.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Bluto »

Not at present, but I'll what I can work up.

I should note that at a capacity of something like 9 0z this beauty is not hip flask.
Going to happy hour and not drinking is like going to an orgy and masturbating. You just took a great idea and turned it into a circle jerk. -Sixpack595

JimLahey
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by JimLahey »

God dammit, I miss my flask!
Lots of driving for my job now and BC is a zero tolerance type of place... fuckers...
Wish I could be unemployed like a regular happy person. This whole "being a proper person" fucking sucks my hairy nuts.

IndyGuy77
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by IndyGuy77 »

My local Meijers has some cool gift sets for Christmas with a flask in it. And I already have a flask that I've loaded up with some Makers Mark.

I say: fill 'er up! Drink and be merry when you can.

Unless you're packing heat. In which case, pack TWO flasks. Just to make life more interesting. /s
Current favorite drinks: BOOKERS!! Bombay Sapphire, Makers Mark, Trader Joe's Germanic beers

May a moody baby doom a yam?

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

love my flask, makes me feel proper grown up, and I don't have to worry that it will smash when I fall over
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

I carry a skin of wine along with my iron rations wherever I go.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

BBoozer
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by BBoozer »

FNZ wrote:I carry a skin of wine along with my iron rations wherever I go.
That's right. When walking through Spain, about ten years ago, I always carried a bota (goat skin flask). It carried me through the day and nobody was ever suspicous about it. In fact, it was great to share and make friends.

Freddie AppsHero
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Freddie AppsHero »

I'd love to get a flask. They call this the liberal age, but I dunno, they're all prudes to me. They don't drink, they don't smoke, and you should have seen the reactions of my friends when I told them my last shack up involved bondage and spanking with a spatula.