Boozy's wine thread - the sequel

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

kowalski
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Re: Boozy's wine thread - the sequel

Post by kowalski »

I'm currently enjoying a bottle of 2009 Crozes Hermitage. I gather it was bottled at 'Cave de Tain' which is a largish co-operative. I will definately be buying more of this stuff as and when funds permit, but am wondering whether the actual bottling place has much effect on the taste, so long as it has the appellation controlee of Crozes Hermitage. Obviously the year will have a slight impact as well. Interested to hear any comments...
Snakebite & Blue Bols <-- The Drink of Champions

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mr Boozificator »

kowalski wrote:I'm currently enjoying a bottle of 2009 Crozes Hermitage. I gather it was bottled at 'Cave de Tain' which is a largish co-operative. I will definately be buying more of this stuff as and when funds permit, but am wondering whether the actual bottling place has much effect on the taste, so long as it has the appellation controlee of Crozes Hermitage. Obviously the year will have a slight impact as well. Interested to hear any comments...
Andy my friend, the year has a HUGE impact. Depending on how much sun and how much water the grapes got, the wine will be entirely different from on year to the other.
Now Crozes Hermitage is certainly a good pick, especially since you can drink it both young and matured.
The embottling place doesn't matter at all unless it is really far from the vineyard, for wine doesn't travel well.
Enjoy, and if you get the time, come to Bordeaux, I've got a few bottles for you in my cellar.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.

kowalski
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by kowalski »

Thanks El B, that's interesting to know - I think I underestimate this thing called 'Terroir'... Some more tasting is in order.

It would be great to visit Bordeaux my friend - I need to save some money and organise myself, but we should definately try and plan something later in the year.

Bur
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Bur »

I had this funny idea, maybe we should invade frog-eater country. The flights seem reasonably priced and all.

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

I'll get a ferry
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

BBoozer
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by BBoozer »

Boozy, what is your wine recommendation to accompany escargots a la bourgogne?

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

BBoozer wrote:Boozy, what is your wine recommendation to accompany escargots a la bourgogne?
It depends on how heavy you went on the garlic: not too heavy, then go for a Bordeaux Graves rouge (3 years old will do fine). Heavy on the garlic, then go for Côtes du Rhône, pick a potent one with a good proportion of syrah and carignan in it.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

BBoozer

Post by BBoozer »

Mr Boozificator wrote:
BBoozer wrote:Boozy, what is your wine recommendation to accompany escargots a la bourgogne?
It depends on how heavy you went on the garlic: not too heavy, then go for a Bordeaux Graves rouge (3 years old will do fine). Heavy on the garlic, then go for Côtes du Rhône, pick a potent one with a good proportion of syrah and carignan in it.
I always go heavy on the garlic. In fact, my wife does too. She went oot to eat last night, ate way too much garlic and I didn't sleep for the whole night because of the stench (and I do love garlic). In Saint Valentine's spirit, she should have warned me to eat garlic too.

BBoozer

Post by BBoozer »

Dear Boozy,

next summer I will be spending some time with my family in the vicinity of Nice and Cluny. Any wine recommendations?

BBoozer

Post by BBoozer »

By the way, your Gaillac recommendations were really good.

kowalski
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by kowalski »

So, I've drunk a few really good wines that are made with the Monestrell grape variety. Wondering if Boozy or anyone else has any comments on Monastrell, or can recommend particular bottles?

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

kowalski wrote:So, I've drunk a few really good wines that are made with the Monestrell grape variety. Wondering if Boozy or anyone else has any comments on Monastrell, or can recommend particular bottles?
Well, what you call Monastrell is in fact Mourvèdre (sorry I am French) and you will find it in a lot of wines from the south-east of France. A recent phenomenon saw its adding to a few wines from the south west.
My favourite wine with mourvèdre in it is Mas du Novi Prestigi that you can find here: http://www.masdunovi.com/. It is both potent and complex and will last forever in your mouth.
Nowadays lots of Australian wines use it too, but I have found none so far that could rival the Prestigi mentioned above.

BBoozer

Post by BBoozer »

I know this is not wine, but what about this 'Marc de champagne'? Is it an eau de vie? Does it have any relationship with actual champagne?

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Do you havre one that pours down thte throat like a gentle angel until the bottle is empty and intoxicates the top of your head llike a bunch of drain flies are in your brain?I think i had that one and i liked it.
I anm so unsofisticated.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

are there any wine bottles with that little punch-hole thingy miller light has now? that would be really helpful.
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk