Boozy's wine thread - the sequel

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

BBoozer
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Re: Boozy's wine thread - the sequel

Post by BBoozer »

Preferrably someone experienced both in military expeditions and wine tasting.

BBoozer

Post by BBoozer »

Preferrably someone experienced both in military expeditions and wine tasting.

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mr Boozificator »

BBoozer wrote:Preferrably someone experienced both in military expeditions and wine tasting.
Well, I happen to know a guy who knows a guy...
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.

Bur
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Bur »

Mr Boozificator wrote:
BBoozer wrote:Preferrably someone experienced both in military expeditions and wine tasting.
Well, I happen to know a guy who knows a guy...
What would be the title of commanding officer on this then? Boozergant? Boozificator maximus?

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

das kapitan.

i'd like to volunteer. clearly this expedition needs a native guide. call me daniel bourbon....
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

normandy cider would go with cider, also younger Irish whiskeys should work, then you don't have to pussyfoot about with 15%abv crap
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

Mr. Boozy,
I would like to apologize for badmouthing wine and other such low alcohol beverages. I was wrong and my comments were in bad taste. I am apologizing because I want to ask a question. I bout a cheap bottle of Chateauneuf du pape (relatively cheap obviously) It is one year old, and I was wondering if it is worth aging it for a couple of years, or should I just get it over and done with?
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Mr. Viking wrote:Mr. Boozy,
I would like to apologize for badmouthing wine and other such low alcohol beverages. I was wrong and my comments were in bad taste. I am apologizing because I want to ask a question. I bout a cheap bottle of Chateauneuf du pape (relatively cheap obviously) It is one year old, and I was wondering if it is worth aging it for a couple of years, or should I just get it over and done with?
Taste is a subjective thing and some people really like the young aromas in wine, however, if I were to drink that bottle, I would let it mature for an extra two years, especially since I assume it's a 2009 and 2009 are pretty potent in every aspect.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

it's a 2010, and I do like quite smooth tasting wine, so I'll stick it in the back of the cupboard for a few years

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

Could we possibly have this wine thread stickied here in TAOGH so it doesn't drop off the first page like the other one did in the Pub? While most of us don't need a lot of wine questions answered on a regular basis, when we do need answers/advice from time to time, it's nice to have such good wine knowledge readily available.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

BBoozer

Post by BBoozer »

Boozy,

some people may consider me an asshole for telling this, but I like foie gras. What would be your wine of choice to accompany this delicacy? In my opinion, it has to be a wine with 'cojones'.

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

BBoozer wrote:Boozy,

some people may consider me an asshole for telling this, but I like foie gras. What would be your wine of choice to accompany this delicacy? In my opinion, it has to be a wine with 'cojones'.
My dear Belgian friend,

I am myself a huge lover of foie gras and even sometimes prepare my own.
Traditionally here, with foie gras we drink Sauternes or Ste Croix Du Mont. The specific flavors of those sweet wines boost some of the aromas of the foie. Now, red wines are also an option, but, you have to pick something both strong and fruity. If you can find it, here is an advice from the top of my head: Château de Pennautier 2009, a Cabardés that won't stay cheap nor unknown for very long. It's fruity, very spicy and generous as a whole.

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

El B...

What's your opinion on this?

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... 5980.story
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

peetie44 wrote:El B...

I'll be honest: whoever wrote this article has absolutely no idea what he's talking about whatsoever.
The part when he says that you have to pass a "taste test" to get the terroir name is bullshit of the highest level: To have "appellation d'origine" on your bottles what you need to do is respect the very specific list of grapes and processes allowed to design your wine in this this or this region. The taste you obtain is of no concern.
Some journalist in LA just fell for the "it was better before" trend.
As to "chemicals" it is so fucking ridiculous it makes cry. Cheaters exists in the wine making industry, but not for long. I actually know of one person who got severely beaten up by his neighbors (and rivals) for importing grape juice from Italy. There are random tests and checking being performed all around the year by utterly serious groups, some from state and some independent that guarantee a minimal level of misbehaving.
The case in which you are the most likely to be cheated on when it comes to French wine is Beaujolais Nouveau: we export more than the national production each year to Japan, and yes, this one reeks of added flavors.
Once again, the guy who wrote that article probably just repeated what an angry post-hippie guy told him to denigrate its rivals.

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

Mr Boozificator wrote:
peetie44 wrote:El B...

I'll be honest: whoever wrote this article has absolutely no idea what he's talking about whatsoever.
The part when he says that you have to pass a "taste test" to get the terroir name is bullshit of the highest level: To have "appellation d'origine" on your bottles what you need to do is respect the very specific list of grapes and processes allowed to design your wine in this this or this region. The taste you obtain is of no concern.
Some journalist in LA just fell for the "it was better before" trend.
As to "chemicals" it is so fucking ridiculous it makes cry. Cheaters exists in the wine making industry, but not for long. I actually know of one person who got severely beaten up by his neighbors (and rivals) for importing grape juice from Italy. There are random tests and checking being performed all around the year by utterly serious groups, some from state and some independent that guarantee a minimal level of misbehaving.
The case in which you are the most likely to be cheated on when it comes to French wine is Beaujolais Nouveau: we export more than the national production each year to Japan, and yes, this one reeks of added flavors.
Once again, the guy who wrote that article probably just repeated what an angry post-hippie guy told him to denigrate its rivals.
Why I LOVE this thread!

Thanks, Etienne.