Vodka: The Ultimate No-Tell Booze?

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

LWTCS
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Re: Vodka: The Ultimate No-Tell Booze?

Post by LWTCS »

Wingman wrote: tasteless drink.
Tasteless? Thats just not true Wingman. It would be tatsteless if he chooses to still it that way. Or perhaps uses a wash recipe that is largely flavorless.......But a nice bourbon styled grain bill that has been distilled 4Xs and even carbon filtered will have a nice delicate all grain adjunct.

It is the non-fermentables within the wash/mash that give the distillate the bulk of its more cherished character. Unless the careless/ignorant operator allows heads and tails carry over into the keeper distillate,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.....Decades later the general population assumes that ( insert the market leaders here) the commercial offering is how it is supposed to be done. Course some other styles of drink do condone the blend of heads and/or tails,,,,,,,,but they can have em....JD WT,,,,,fuckin smear-noff and ab-so-loot to boot.

No matter
Cheers
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.

MeanOldLady
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by MeanOldLady »

i dunno. i drink vodka, and it certainly has its place, but the reason my apt is almost always conspicuously devoid of vodka is because it doesn't really have much of a flavor. its taste, to the extent that it exists, tastes like... alcohol. that's a taste, i suppose, but where is this love?
DeeboCools wrote:I don't appreciate all this bad-mouthing of hangovers. It's the only thing I can rely on every day.
there is jest in your tone, but on saint swithin's day of this year, as i do every year, i proceeded to get extraordinarily hammered, but this time in a way i hadn't in a very long time. it had actually been something like a month since i'd got Officially Fucked Up. when i woke up the next day on my sofa (for some reason) with a combination of blood and drool gluing my hair to my face, it somehow felt right. that horrible feeling felt like home.
"Vodka is the Harry Potter of Booze, fun at first but ultimately unsatisfying and made for children." -The Lush

"If you can't trust the inner monkey, who can you trust?" -F. Sott Blitzedgerald

"this thread should be called WEAK drunk pics. more people should be bloody and passed out" -old crow

ADHD
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by ADHD »

Wingman wrote:
ADHD wrote: Enjoy your hangover you poor bastard.....
more than you'll enjoy your tasteless drink.

I was only half kidding (and pretty drunk when I wrote that)

Good vodka has it's place, and helps mitigate the hangover. But I am by no means a vodka drinker, I much prefer well made brown spirits, my favorite being an artisan distilled bourbon, pre aged on charred maple, then finished in a charred oak barrel. Simply delicious, and mostly devoid of the hangover causing constituents of mass produced swill.

My favorite way to spend a weekday evening relaxing is to sip about a half a fifth. I drink mine at about 65% over ice with a splash of water. On the weekends when I can afford to sleep in a bit more, a fifth or more puts me in just the right mood. I kind of wish I had more recollection sometimes of just how fun it was, the only real ill effect that I suffer is memory loss. Mornings after are usually spent re-hydrating, and somewhat tired, but NO headache or nausea at all. I attribute this to the superior quality of the spirits.

If you want it done right, do it yourself, you wont be sorry... (booze that is)

LWTCS
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by LWTCS »

MeanOldLady wrote:it doesn't really have much of a flavor. its taste, to the extent that it exists, tastes like... alcohol.
Certainly can't disagree. Vodkas are certainly intended to be "light".

Seems the trend these past 15/ 20 years has been to produce a true neutral. At some point the "neutral" designation seemed synonymous with clean/ pure.
But when one's competition is also able to produce an azeotropic neutral,,,,,, then how does one distinguish one's self amongst a sea of competitive neutrals down at the retail counter??????
By coming back full circle and adding adjuncts or allowing notes from the original grain bill to remain throughout the distilling process.Thats how,,,,ahlah lemon vodka and raspberry vodka or Teto's and Chase for sweet grain notes and so forth....

When I read labels that boast "7Xs distilled" or some such thing,,,,I more often think to myself how fuckin gawd awefull 1 or 2 Xs distilled must have been.....Seven times distilled??????/they are tricking the consumer and also trying to appeal to the folks not capable of much more than an umbrella drink....Same as the rum market loading their products with syrup to smooth and reduce the work needed to produce a first rate smooth product........

fuckin need a drink now that I 'm all worked up.

John Barleycorn
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by John Barleycorn »

The problem with vodka as the ultimate no-tell booze is that it's the first choice of all the fucked up alcoholics out there who are trying to get away with drinking a quart of liquor before noon each day. Since these people are sweating it out each day, a lot of the general public has experience with that smell. So the issue becomes how one masks the smell of booze. I suggest Limoncello. I've never known someone was ripped to the gills on it and it has a lemony freshness that could cover a fart. Image

LWTCS
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by LWTCS »

John Barleycorn wrote:The problem with vodka as the ultimate no-tell booze is that it's the first choice of all the fucked up alcoholics out there who are trying to get away with drinking a quart of liquor before noon each day. Since these people are sweating it out each day, a lot of the general public has experience with that smell. So the issue becomes how one masks the smell of booze. I suggest Limoncello. I've never known someone was ripped to the gills on it and it has a lemony freshness that could cover a fart. Image
And as an aside,,,the delightful picture you posted is making me thirsty,,,true story.

It is a great drink

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

What's the proof on that stuff? Is it like Mikes hard lemonade or what?
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

John Barleycorn

Post by John Barleycorn »

60 proof

Mallory Knox
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Mallory Knox »

Meh... Since me and the Sailor broke up I've dabbled in the vodak and have been most pleasured by it; hangover and all.
To my knowledge, my being pickled by noon has gone completely unnoticed.

The cheaper the better.
ivan wrote:Bring it! You foe me, and I'll make brilliant posts that you won't see!

Salviati
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Salviati »

You could always try absinthe, smell like black liquorish.
Booze is the big middle finger towards existence.
Absinthe makes the heart grow stronger.

Tariel
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Tariel »

John Barleycorn wrote:The problem with vodka as the ultimate no-tell booze is that it's the first choice of all the fucked up alcoholics out there who are trying to get away with drinking a quart of liquor before noon each day.
That fits my description to the T at about this time last year, I'd do four-five shots of cheap voddy before brushin' me teeth, drenching meself in cologne, undrunk tie, polished Oxford shoes and the works etc, heading to the office. To be fair though that would be before 10 really, by 12 I'd have been more likely to be "out on a lead generation/HNI call" i.e. enjoying a pint of beer at the local.
To sit down with these men and deal with them as a representative of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride one's own dignity and to invite the disaster their treachery will bring upon us - Gen. Ridgeway

Bur
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Bur »

Vodka is awesome

beerkegbilly
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God
Location: in a hollow of a tree or in a wishing well but alway on my pot of gold really Penna USA

Post by beerkegbilly »

I love vodka. A lot it's the bees knee

Aleksi
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by Aleksi »

As an avid vodka drinker, the stories about it being non detectable are unfortunately false.

But as an avid vodka drinker, it is the best booze to get hammered with if you are used to it - suppose it applies to all, but anyways.

Great uses of vodka? Glad you asked.

On breakfast, and as I assume most peeps on the site are from the US this will work.

Have some scrambled eggs and lox in a Jewish deli, and a shot of really good Polish vodka on the side.

When drinking vodka shots, the drink should in my opinion to be as "harsh" as possible, Finnish Koskenkorva, certain Russian rotguts apply. Problem is, most non Scando countries do not serve the clear manna freezing cold so...

Best vodka drinks if not amongst the "civilized" i.e. non vodka drinkers are:

Double Stoli with a lemon twist on the rocks (Stoli is often dissed for being harsh, but that is kinda the point)

Double Russkij Standart on the rocks, no twist.

Double Absolut Citron on the rocks if the bar is shabby enough to serve flavored vodkas. Citron is the only one to have, trust me.

Why doubles? The ice chills the vodka just enough to bring forward the pepperiness.

When it comes to enjoying the stuff. the list is different of course.
Grappa. The realest.

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

Aleksi wrote: Double Stoli with a lemon twist on the rocks (Stoli is often dissed for being harsh, but that is kinda the point).
i'm almost positive you'd like bourbon.
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk