Vodka: The Ultimate No-Tell Booze?

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Aloysius_of_Tahiti
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Vodka: The Ultimate No-Tell Booze?

Post by Aloysius_of_Tahiti »

Just wondering how foolproof you've found vodka to be, in terms of the Drys knowing you've been drinking. I've heard that vodka doesn't have an odor, that you don't get a hangover from it, that you don't reek of it on a hot day, etc. etc. By habit I'm a whiskey, rum, beer, and red wine sort of chap.
But recently I've landed in circumstances that make boozing a liability and so I went on a strict vodka-only diet.

All went well for awhile but lately I've been getting the occasional frown, or the lingering (and disapproving) glance from the brass.
Am I just being paranoid? Or is vodka truly devoid of odor?

How say you, comrades?

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: Vodka: The Ultimate No-Tell Booze?

Post by Mr. Viking »

I can usually smell it on myself, and other people if I'm quite close, it seems to give off a sickly alcohol smell, similar to a hangover, as soon as the body starts processing it, can't smell it on people's breath though
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

BBoozer
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by BBoozer »

Vodka having no smell is a myth. My redhead smells vodka on me every time. It's sure not as bad as red wine, but it's still detectable. Now as for vodka not causing a hangover, this is totally untrue. Vodka brings humungous hangovers, which are only cured by more vodka.

Jiggers McCoy
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Jiggers McCoy »

Yeah, once anything starts coming out of your pores, any attempt at subterfuge is pretty moot.

As far it being on your breath, orange tic-tacs seem to help. They won't taste like ass after a juice mixer, and the artificial sweetener has a booze-like edge to it that will compliment whatever remains on your breath.
• "Avoiding the darker alcohols like bourbon, red wine and dark rum might lessen [a hangover] and you might also dance better if you wear a tutu instead of trousers." - FKR

• "If you wanna 'talk about' my drinking, it better be about how fucking awesome it is." - Me

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by DeeboCools »

It's about as close as it can get, but no. In fact, Vodka can sometimes be more detectablel because It doesn't smell like anything else. like If you reak of rum, you can say "nah, I was just chugging a bottle of maple syrup, that's what me and my undrunk friends do for kicks"
"S0briety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes." -William James

JimLahey
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by JimLahey »

Depends on how good the vodka is I suppose... cheap vodka smells VERY strongly of alcohol. I'd say Gin. It has a unique smell, and you can always blame it on cologne or something...
That being said, gum, bananas, coffee, vanilla, cigarettes are great ways of masking the smell!

ADHD
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by ADHD »

BBoozer wrote:Vodka having no smell is a myth. My redhead smells vodka on me every time. It's sure not as bad as red wine, but it's still detectable. Now as for vodka not causing a hangover, this is totally untrue. Vodka brings humungous hangovers, which are only cured by more vodka.
I had a bottle of Russian Prince once, and let me tell you, I shoulda left that one on the shelf. HOLY fuck, that was one of the worst hangovers I've ever experienced. Bad vodka is one of the worst alcohols to consume, that being said, GOOD vodka is one of the smoothest and least telling alcohols to consume too.

If you drink a beverage with the least possible amount of congeners, you will smell less if at all of booze, and have no hangover (tired maybe, and thirsty, but no hangover). It's true, and there are very few commercially produced alcohols that meet these criteria. The key, is finding a booze that has no "nose" of sharp nail polish smells, or bitter tangy odors either. Best way to tell, get a sample, and water it down in a wine glass, about 4 or 6:1 water:booze. If it smells pleasant, it's probably good, but if it smells vile and like a hint of nail polish, it's bad, if it smells sour and sharp on the nose, it's bad too. This is how good booze is separated from the bad stuff by a Master Distiller at a distillery that produces high quality vodka or whiskeys. They are separating the compounds known loosely as congeners, or heads and tails. These compounds are really what gives you the hangover, not the ethanol itself.

Read this a few times, and google "congeners", "heads and tail, ethanol" and see what you come up with.

For storebought booze, there are very few bourbons or whiskeys that make the grade, and even fewer vodkas.

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

ADHD wrote: These compounds are really what gives you the hangover, not the ethanol itself.
sure, and i might dance better in a tutu, as well....*

*thanks, frank. been waiting to use that one.
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

Chimneyfish
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Chimneyfish »

Sure, and I can get full by eating rice cakes as well...

MeanOldLady
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by MeanOldLady »

well it's not completely odorless. if you don't believe me, stick your nose in a bottle of vodka yourself. however, i can't tell you what vodka breath smells like, as i've never smelled it on myself or anyone. it doesn't really linger on the tongue in my humble experiences. now some of you may have a loved one with a nose like a bloodhound, or you may be drinking kamchatka (sp? whatever, who gives a shit) by the bucketload, but for the most part if you grab some stoli with some lemon and ice thrown in, the odor will not be apparent to passersby.

but what's all this business about not getting hangovers from vodka? like fuck you don't.
"Vodka is the Harry Potter of Booze, fun at first but ultimately unsatisfying and made for children." -The Lush

"If you can't trust the inner monkey, who can you trust?" -F. Sott Blitzedgerald

"this thread should be called WEAK drunk pics. more people should be bloody and passed out" -old crow

ADHD
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by ADHD »

Wingman wrote:
ADHD wrote: These compounds are really what gives you the hangover, not the ethanol itself.
sure, and i might dance better in a tutu, as well....*

*thanks, frank. been waiting to use that one.
Enjoy your hangover you poor bastard.....

ADHD
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by ADHD »

Chimneyfish wrote:Sure, and I can get full by eating rice cakes as well...
And large brown cigars too?????????????????????????????

judging by your avatart

LWTCS
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by LWTCS »

Yer not listening MOL.
He didn't say no hang over from all vodkas. His correct assertion is no hang overs from strictly stilled vodkas. Not withstandind ethanol poisoning or dehydration.

Carbon filtering is a sham created by the industry and only promotes bad stilling practices as you have likely found out,,,,,weather you know it or not.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

ADHD wrote: Enjoy your hangover you poor bastard.....
more than you'll enjoy your tasteless drink.
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by DeeboCools »

I don't appreciate all this bad-mouthing of hangovers. It's the only thing I can rely on every day.
"S0briety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes." -William James