Your favorite Gin-based cocktails ...

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

PFrank

Your favorite Gin-based cocktails ...

Post by PFrank »

Subject nearly says it all. What are you favorite gin-based cocktails? :D

JimLahey
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Re: Your favorite Gin-based cocktails ...

Post by JimLahey »

Honestly, mine is super simple. Get something decent (I love Tanqueray), put it on a generous amount of ice and squeeze a lime or lemon in there. It smells so fresh and its so delicious you don't really need anything else in there. Also, gin and apple juice is extremely good!

Swede
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Swede »

Ah, this has the potential to become something really beautiful !

Gin is pretty much the only thing I drink. I mix in other things of course, but my basic food is Gin. I've been stocking both Tanqueray and Bombay Sapphire but over the years I've turned more and more towards Tanqueray as it has more taste than Bombay which I tend to grasp as a bit bland when e.g. mixing Dry Martinis. Gordons don't do it for me. Beefeater doesn't work either, too much pine. Tanqueray is the thing.

With that said I have a really poor imagination when it comes to mixing drinks, my Gin drinks being:

- Dry Martini; very slim on the Extra Dry Matrini, Tanqueray of course, splash of lime, plenty of olives. I've more and more switched towards the chili filled kind of olives. I picked them up just by curiosity but they work very well in a Martini.

- G&T; Used to use Schweppes but I've switched to some portion canned Tonic which I don't recall what they're called but they're a bit smoother. Splash of lime and a couple of slices of lime for decoration. Makes the soul shine for sure.

That's about it. I really need to explore more Gin based drinks.

What I love the most with the two above is that they couldn't be easier to mix, simple yet so good. So. Good.

Got 2 try the apple juice mix. Not much of an apple juice drinker - pretty much only drink apple juice when staying at hotels - so I guess it'll take a while to find a really good apple juice :(

Edit: The tonic water I use is Britvic Indian Tonic.

And, ya, one of the best buys I've ever made was the ice cube machine in my fridge. I couldn't imagine living without easily accessible taste and smell free fresh ice 24/7 without remembering to make new ice.

Jiggers McCoy
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Jiggers McCoy »

I like a gin rickey - gin, lime, splash of club soda or seltzer. Actually, I like a lot of them.

The Negroni - 1 part sweet vermouth and 1 part campari, then 2 parts gin. Serve up or on the rocks. Good drink for before dinner or when it's still light out.

Pink gin - gin with a dash or two of bitters. Looks girly but very tasty.

Gin and hard cider - good dry cider with a shot of gin poured in. Lotta cutesy, frat-boy names for this one but they escape me.
• "Avoiding the darker alcohols like bourbon, red wine and dark rum might lessen [a hangover] and you might also dance better if you wear a tutu instead of trousers." - FKR

• "If you wanna 'talk about' my drinking, it better be about how fucking awesome it is." - Me

perfectly pickled
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by perfectly pickled »

gimlet - gin and roses lime cordial
tom collins - gin lemon juice sugar and soda
martinez - gin sweet vermouth dry vermouth maraschino and angustora bitters
claridge - gin dry vermouth cointreau apricot brandy
arnaud / parisian cocktail - gin dry vermouth creme de cassis

all really good, martinez would be my favourite.
also highly recommend the negroni as posted above.

Chimneyfish
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Chimneyfish »

Smart Cocktail for latina breast cancer awareness:

Code: Select all

1/8 oz gin
2 oz maraschino liqueur
4 oz fresh lemon juice
4 oz fresh orange juice
dash of creme de violette
dash of creme de cassis
dash of maraschino liquer
flamed lemon peel and flamed orange peel for garnish
dahlia flower for garnish

PFrank

Post by PFrank »

Thanks for the replies. :)

I too normally make it simple (gin & tonic, with a lime twist), but am open to new ideas. The gin rickey sounds delicious. Its been a while since I've had a good Dry Martini, but I shalt rectify that soon. :)

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

a nice comfortable measure of gin in a pint of cheap lager is very refreshing
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

PFrank

Post by PFrank »

Hmm.. never tried that one. Thanks. :)

Rooster
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Rooster »

Splash bitters in a glass, toss it out.
Pour in gin.
Pour in tonic.

Drink.

Swede
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Swede »

I don't drink at the pub. At least not often. Way too expensive. I did this Friday though. Two G&Ts and a beer before a hockey game. $25US for one G&T (6 cl gin)? Jesus christ. $25 almost buys me a 1 L bottle of Tanqueray. Those sons of bitches.

beerkegbilly
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God
Location: in a hollow of a tree or in a wishing well but alway on my pot of gold really Penna USA

Post by beerkegbilly »

Tom Collins

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

in Kingsley Amis' "On Drink" he recommended a shandy recipe by Evelyn Waugh, I can't remember the wording, but it was roughly; take one silver tankard and tip in one or two pub doubles of gin, depending on mood. Pour over a bottle of Guinness and top up with ginger beer. Serve with ice to taste
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

JimLahey
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by JimLahey »

Mr. Viking wrote:in Kingsley Amis' "On Drink" he recommended a shandy recipe by Evelyn Waugh, I can't remember the wording, but it was roughly; take one silver tankard and tip in one or two pub doubles of gin, depending on mood. Pour over a bottle of Guinness and top up with ginger beer. Serve with ice to taste
This sounds really interesting...

PFrank

Post by PFrank »

JimLahey wrote:This sounds really interesting...
Yes, yes it does.