Pre-mixed drinks?

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Jollyroger1210
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard
Location: Halfway between Yuengling and the Whiskey Rebellion

Pre-mixed drinks?

Post by Jollyroger1210 »

What's the board opinion on pre-mixed drinks from the candy store? Sometimes I want a Long Island (or twelve), but don't have the money to purchase even the lowest of the low of all the constituent alcohols. Same for Zombies and Hurricanes, which I am enjoying right now, as my classes tomorrow have been cancelled (My apartment complex is on a hillock, tomorrow it shall be an island).

Picture very relevant.
imagejpeg_2.jpg
imagejpeg_2.jpg (25.79 KiB) Viewed 3042 times
"I only drink on days that start with a T; Tuesday, Thursday, today, and tomorrow."

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: Pre-mixed drinks?

Post by Mr. Viking »

you'll pay more buying a pre-made kit if you drink more than 3 of that drink. If you follow the recipe 5 times you will spend a lot less buying the incidental parts (ie. a shaker, a bottle of bourbon, scotch, and irish whisk(e)y and the major spirit in the drink) Best find what drink you like, and soon enough you'll realise the cheapest way o make it
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

I dislike them.

They usually taste bad, to me. They're made by a robot, not a bartender. When the factories make those drinks, it involves sub par ingredients, including various "flavored" ethanol products and corn syrups.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

I tend to agree with frankennietzsche on this, but I think it also depends on the mixed drink itself and personal taste. I've had canned Beam-and-Coke and it was fine...but then I've also had several canned Bloody Mary drinks and they were all horrible -- unless you touched them up yourself. Plus, do-it-yourself is usually a much better value-for-money.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Bluto »

You need to compare apples to apples here. Most premixed drinks are going to low on the ABV scale. Yes, buying four or five bottles of reall booze will have a higher cost than buying one 1.75 liter bottle of pre-mix. However, the total volume of those five bottles is more than 1.75 liters and the ABV is going to be higher as well.
Going to happy hour and not drinking is like going to an orgy and masturbating. You just took a great idea and turned it into a circle jerk. -Sixpack595

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

I like apples.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

frankennietzsche wrote:I like apples.
Oranges are better than apples...just like a Cadillac is better than a Lincoln.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

peetie44 wrote:
Oranges are better than apples..
That is a matter of opinion and heresy.

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

peetie44 wrote:
frankennietzsche wrote:I like apples.
Oranges are better than apples...just like a Cadillac is better than a Lincoln.
I would tend to agree, but their skins can be a bit chewy
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Mr. Viking wrote:
peetie44 wrote:just like a Cadillac is better than a Lincoln.

The Caddies or the Lincolns?
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

Patchez wrote:
Mr. Viking wrote:

caddies, it's the thick paint that gets to me

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

Patchez wrote:
Mr. Viking wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtgdZ8jhhdA

mediakill
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by mediakill »

As mentioned already premixed drinks usually differ in taste from meh to this shit sucks. Have yet to find any that tasted great enough to repeat buying. Most are heavily diluted and use lowend alcohols and mixers (think cheap cola vs. actual coke/pepsi). Doesn't make any sense cost-wise if you premix it yourself, that way you don't have to sacrifice taste and can still save money. Unless you really like drinking a handful of drinks with a awful taste. Makes more sense to just buy larger handles and adjust the flavor accordingly. Trust me you will save more than buying overpriced/underflavored premixed in the long run. Why drink a handful of drinks that cost 3-4 bucks depending when i could just as well get a cheap handle and adjust strength to my liking. Have fun spending more money for less drink in terms of strength and/or flavor

Jollyroger1210
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard
Location: Halfway between Yuengling and the Whiskey Rebellion

Post by Jollyroger1210 »

mediakill wrote:As mentioned already premixed drinks usually differ in taste from meh to this shit sucks. Have yet to find any that tasted great enough to repeat buying. Most are heavily diluted and use lowend alcohols and mixers (think cheap cola vs. actual coke/pepsi). Doesn't make any sense cost-wise if you premix it yourself, that way you don't have to sacrifice taste and can still save money. Unless you really like drinking a handful of drinks with a awful taste. Makes more sense to just buy larger handles and adjust the flavor accordingly. Trust me you will save more than buying overpriced/underflavored premixed in the long run. Why drink a handful of drinks that cost 3-4 bucks depending when i could just as well get a cheap handle and adjust strength to my liking. Have fun spending more money for less drink in terms of strength and/or flavor
I got a handle of Long Island iced tea for 16 bucks, 21%, not too bad tasting. The Bacardi hurricane was syrupy and only 12.5%, definitely going to avoid that one in the future. Overall, I honestly like the idea of not having to stock up on six different types of liquor, all sorts of mixers, etc, especially since I'm not settled on one type of drink right now. Normally rum and cokes during cold months, and margaritas during warmer ones. Just wanted some quick, complex, "exotic" drinks to tide me over until I find my winter '12-'13 niche.
"I only drink on days that start with a T; Tuesday, Thursday, today, and tomorrow."

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Here's all you need.

Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought