Liquor and the Tobacco Pipe

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

David94
Souse
Souse

Re: Liquor and the Tobacco Pipe

Post by David94 »

And so it begins, got an ounce of Vanilla and Cherry tobacco this morning, going to go back and get a couple of different tobaccos tomorrow

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

My compliments, David. You've embarked upon an epic journey of flavor with many discoveries awaiting you. Looks like a nice cut/blend of gold and dark, and you've got some solid pieces with well-worn character. Jolly good show.
That's the other thing too, building up a nice "cake" on the inside of the bowl. People buy new pipes and usually put them through a "breaking-in" period. I was told in my youth by elder advice to keep a good cake layer abouth the thickness of a penny built up, but again not so much to clog the bastard. Why cake? It is said to mellow the draw of the pipe, keep it burning more evenly and acts as protection to the bowl in the case of a flare-up or very hot burning tobacco.

Oh, and one more thing on pipes that warrents mentioning. Females. Indeed, most females will tell you they find smoking in general to be a turn-off when it comes to the opposite sex. However, many will also freely admit that they find the aroma of a pipe not only agreeable but stimulating. There are certain women that even find the very sight of a man smoking a pipe to be comforting imagery. I won't dealve into the psychology behind this; needless to say, sometimes a pipe is just a pipe. But there are women who are attracted to it. The sight of a younger man owning his pipe-smoking will, intended or not, also add some degree of sageness to his appearance. Just saying. Not why I smoke a pipe, but be prepared to deal with the side effects.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Miklo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Miklo »

I dove in this past weekend and got my corncob pipe and a pouch of london export. I did enjoy it more than a cigar, but the down side was that a bowl only lasted about 10 minuets. Do I need to pack it more to get a longer burn time? It did stay lit all the way to the end so I assume it was a good packing.
“And in my mind, this settles the issue. I would never drink cologne, and am therefore not an alcoholic.”
― Augusten Burroughs

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

You either need some slower burning tobacco in the blend, or a bigger bowl.

A bowl will usually last me anywhere from 15-30 minutes depending on the blend. If it's staying lit, you've got the loading figured out. Seriously, pack that bastard as tight as you can while still being able to get a good draw. And get a snifter to go with it. I know that sounds pretentious, but it makes for superior flavor when boozing with the pipe. I like to puff a little smoke inside and then inhale it along with a sip of the spirits.

Miklo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Miklo »

Thats it, last night was perfect. I didnt break up the tabacco as much, packed it as much as I could and I had a solid 30min with no relight. I am hooked, and the money I will save on not buying expensive ass cigars will be spent on more booze.
“And in my mind, this settles the issue. I would never drink cologne, and am therefore not an alcoholic.”
― Augusten Burroughs

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Anyone want to split a pound of Trout Stream with me?

Pipes and cigars has a blend that is their own. it sounds nice but I can't see smoking a pound of the stuff.

PM if interested. It looks to be just under $30 bucks shipped.

Link to the product.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-toba ... ut-stream/
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

I visited my favourite tobacconist* and picked up a new pipe.
The owner of the shop is a very pleasant, friendly and knowledgeable fellow. He advised me that any new pipe should be "broken in", and that the best way to do this was to loosely pack the bowl, the first time it's used, and pour a small (just a few drops) amount of strong liquor (40%ABV or better), whisk(e)y, brandy or rum being the best, on to the tobacco and then let it burn itself out, puffing on it once of twice to ensure that it burns itself out, completely. This "seasons" the bowl and will allow for greater enjoyment in future use.
I followed his advice, using a bog-standard pipe tobacco (that the owner was kind enough to give me, gratis) and a few mls of Woodford Reserve bourbon. Once it had burned out and cooled, I refilled it with a Cherry and Brandy flavoured blend (which I had been using in one of my old pipes), and my goodness! The difference was quite stunning. The chap certainly knows his business, and I certainly recommend that anyone who gets a new pipe, "seasons" it using this technique.

Anyway, here is a picture of my new acquisition and latest addition to my pipe rack.

* Sadly, this tobacconist is unable to mail orders to the U.S. However, if any Board member sees anything that takes their fancy, when browsing the website, PM me and I'll try to accommodate any requests.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

The Trout Stream and the MDM starter blend should be here today and enjoyed over the weekend. Review to follow. Also half of the Trout Stream is spoken for. It should go out sometime Saturday.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Trout Stream on the right, and the MDM Starter Blend on the left.

Tried the Trout Stream this morning after a long, long 10 hour shift when everything in the plant seemed to break. As soon as we'd get one fixed, bring on the next project.
Damn what a nice mild smoke. Carmel and butterscotch prior to being lit, and a linger mild sweetness after being lit. Sweet Baby Jebus this is a nice little smoke. If anyone has an extra $30 bucks you should grab a pound of this. Now.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Palinka wrote: ...Anyway, here is a picture of my new acquisition and latest addition to my pipe rack...
That's a very solid, classy looking piece. And the bowl certainly looks ample size too. Is it briarwood?

>Patchez, I'm putting in an order for an elbow of the Trout Stream on your recommendation. I love a good, mellow caramel smoke. Pipes are great for fishing in the boat, especially when the wind kicks up and you've got her smoothly lit. Makes me feel like I'm in a Homer Winslow painting even though I'm just catching crappies.

One more point I'll babble about while we're at pipe camp here. Storing your tobacco properly is a must...
A glass jar with a moisture tight lid is the ideal situation. Obviously, it's not very convenient to carry around in your pocket, which is where pouches and other storage containers come into service. But for longer term storage, a jar is your best bet. Some devices are also effective in maintaining the desired humidity within a tobacco jar, but something else a bit intriguing was once suggested by my great uncle of Louisiana stock. He said to keep a square of dark chocolate on top of the tobacco inside the jar. Not only does it serve to ideally regulate the humidity but also adds a hint of that rich, mellow flavor from cocoa. I've tried it myself and can certainly say it doesn't hurt. Just don't eat the chocolate.

Miklo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Miklo »

I bought a couple ounces of Lane 1-Q and it came in on saturday. It was a good smoke, very similer to Captain Black but cheaper and better quality. It was good and burned well. Tasted great with a glass of EW.
― Augusten Burroughs

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

P. your Trout Stream is headed to you. Should be to you in 5 to 10 days depending on how backed up Customs is. I listed it as cigars as they are still ok to ship in the mail. I asked about bulk pipe tobacco and the counter lady said it should be the same as cigars. Just not allowed to ship cigarettes or smokeless tobacco.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Tried the MDM Starter blend today. This is some heavy handed stuff. I have got to think through these blend you owns a little better. This is a nicely balanced brute but a brute nonetheless. 38% each of Toasted Black Cavendish and Toasted Burley. Add in 12% each of Perique and Latakia . Very bold, a touch of spicy a vague hint of the fruitiness you find with some Periques, all earthy and smokiness. I'm thinking you would want this as an early morning blast to wake your ass up with your Irish coffee or as the perfect wind-down after a stressfull week with a good single- malt. An earthy, smokey Islay or a smoother somewhat fruitier, to bring out the Perique, Highland or Lowland.

This one will be around for a bit, I don't see me tearing through 8 ounces of this beast in a hurry. Though I can see me adding it to other blends to bolden them up a touch.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Finally got a pipe rack and humidor. Still have to locate my travel pipes and my church warden.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

P. your tobacco has cleared Chicago and should be in route. Maybe 3 to 5 more days.