Liquor and the Tobacco Pipe

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Liquor and the Tobacco Pipe

Post by Badfellow »

Let's talk Liquor and Pipe Tobacco, shall we?

Really, there's no better pairing at the end of a taxing day than a savory sweet puff of the pipe along with a glass of good spirits. Pour a snifter. Strike a match. Kick up your feet and let the worries of the world drift away. Perhaps you prefer cognac or an elderly Scotch with a spicy Perique? Or maybe a dark rum, or some slightly heated Drambuie for dessert with a long draw of Cavendish?

Here's a few pipes from the collection. I've been very fortunate over the years to occasionally find a single pipe or a set of them for sale at thrift stores, always for under $10. It seems that old folks pass away and some of them donated their pipes to charity. I've found pipes made by Majestic, GBD, Kings Cross, Sasieni and about a half dozen others. I try to keep at least two varieties of Paul Olsen A's “My Own Blend” on hand. Sometimes I get a few plugs of really wicked, peppery stuff from the relatives down in Louisiana.

My favorite hands down is this Italian root briar by Four Dots. The stem is easy to clean and its built like a tank. Had it since I was seventeen.

Do share,

What's your puff and tipple of choice?

Last edited by Badfellow on Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: Liquor and the Tobacco Pipe

Post by Patchez »

I'll have to get some pics of my pipes. I need a stand and container for my collection. Small but I like it. I have a liking for bent pipes, bulldogs and such. I finally got a nice churchwarden for around the campfire.

As for parings, I'm still working on that. I tend toward rye to pair with anything with some Perique. The spiciness complements.

Other than that I just like a really good stout or porter to go with just about anything. Heavy beers pair well with any bowl. The slow pace of the smoke and drink justr seem to be made for relaxing.

Wessex bent smooth low polish finish. Neerup bent rustic finish. Two of my favorites. I have the churchwarden around somewhere, I always loose it over the winter and find/break it out for the campfire season. My bent Rhodesian bulldog is probably still in my fishing vest as it is my road warrior.

Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Bur
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Bur »

I used to own couple of pipes but they've been like my pimp hats/canes/chalices lost during various drunken rampages.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

You've got some sweeties there, Patchez. I'll get together some more photos together as well and post them. I see the Sazerac Rye doesn't last long in your company either.

Here's a useful website detailing all make and model of pipes courtesy of Pipe Phil. I have an obscure Peterson pipe from Ireland with a silver band that I can't quite identify.

Miklo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Miklo »

I have mainly been a cigar man, but have been heavly concidering getting into the pipe world. I was going to pick up one of those corncobs this weekend and dive in. Any suggestions or special directions for packing the pipe or a good tabacco? Im guessing its quite similar to packing a bowl of recreational herbs?
“And in my mind, this settles the issue. I would never drink cologne, and am therefore not an alcoholic.”
― Augusten Burroughs

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Miklo wrote:Any suggestions or special directions for packing the pipe or a good tabacco? Im guessing its quite similar to packing a bowl of recreational herbs?
In the manner of flavor, yes. Remember that pipe tobacco is all about flavor. If I just wanted a nicotine buzz it'd be easier to huff a Lucky Strike. And the way these pipe tobacco flavors combine with booze is astounding, unlike anything else. Packing it or "tamping" it down as I've heard it called means filling the bowl solidly with no gaps but not pressing it down so damn tight you can't get a good draw.

You seem to have the right approach. Start yourself off with a basic corncob and, as you say, dive right in. If you hit a shop where they sell multiple varieties, ask the proprietor for their opinion before drawing your own. I'd recommend finding a good Bourbon flavored tobacco as a start or cherry if you like it sweeter. From there, you can base yourself and explore other territory. Pipe tobacco has a lot wider range of flavors to offer than the cigar.

As Patchez points out, Perique tobacco adds a very spicy, earthy, black peppery zing to the bowl that's a match made in heaven for straight rye whiskey. Perhaps he'll be kind enough to share some suggestions as well.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

It's a long way to the top. (for illustrative purposes only)

Please...

Ignore the tiny man behind the curtain.

But let's keep on the subject of Liquor & Pipe Tobacco, if we may, at least for this thread.

I busted my opposable digits into a pinch of the last of my Louisiana plug tonight, and damn if it didn't set my tongue on fire in a good way. You know how hot sauce hurts you, yet you crave another taste and keep coming back for it? Same way here. It rolls up spicy, spicy, spicy on the draw with a wee back sweetness like a blackberry vanilla bean. Only way I can describe it. Swishing it with a bottle of Imperial Porter someone left in the fridge. Heaven and hell are here on earth, and right now it's a heaven o' puff and tipple.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Miklo wrote:I have mainly been a cigar man, but have been heavly concidering getting into the pipe world. I was going to pick up one of those corncobs this weekend and dive in. Any suggestions or special directions for packing the pipe or a good tabacco? Im guessing its quite similar to packing a bowl of recreational herbs?
Badfellow is correct with the packed loosely tight or tightly loose. If that makes no sense, which it didn't to me at first try the Three Bears method. First fill the bowl loosely to justg below the top then pack it with your thumb very lightly, like baby bear. Next take a big pinch, enough to fill half the bowl and pack it a bit more firmly like mamma bear. Lastly take another pinch and pack it like pappa bear.

Takes a little practice and don't worry about having to re-light it several times. It's part of the game.

As for starting tobaccos you can never go wrong with a pouch of Capt. Black Gold or Black Cavendish. Seeing as you are a cigar smoker no need for training wheels,I wouldn't see you needing to start with any of the flavored ones except if you wanted to try them. No offense BF if you like the flavored ones.I'm just assuming that it is your standard advice to anyone wanting to try pipe smoking. No need setting them up with a you really need to learn to like it Latakia heavy blends. I myself like the bourbon and the rum soaked ones as well. At least you are sure what they pair well with.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Patchez wrote: Seeing as you are a cigar smoker no need for training wheels,I wouldn't see you needing to start with any of the flavored ones except if you wanted to try them. No offense BF if you like the flavored ones.I'm just assuming that it is your standard advice to anyone wanting to try pipe smoking. No need setting them up with a you really need to learn to like it Latakia heavy blends. I myself like the bourbon and the rum soaked ones as well. At least you are sure what they pair well with.
Actually, you make a very good point. Already knowing one's way around a cigar does negate the need for any training wheels, and we want to start our fellow Drunkard on a solid and proper footing. I would say though, if you're sampling multiple varieties, start with the mild first and progress into the heavier flavors just like you might beer or aged spirits. If you start with the stout, you probably won't be able to taste the pilsner. Just something to consider.

The only real "flavors" I like are Bourbon and Rum, but that's no surprise there, eh? Like you say Patchez, at least you are sure of what they pair well with. Sometimes, doing an unexpected pairing (for example rum tobacco with barrel proof rye) can also produce some very wonderful results. For the most part, good tobacco should have enough flavor on it's own that it doesn't need dressing up with adulterants. Save that for the cheap stuff I suppose. Perique is probably my favorite smoke, a cornerstone of most of the blends I tend to favor, but to be honest I can enjoy just about any variety as long as it's quality leaf. Latakia deserves more exploration on my part though. Toasted Burley is pretty damn good too. This calls for a trip to the store.

Also, here's a decent spot on the web where you can blend your own or at least get a general idea of what you might be able to expect from different base tobaccos.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

i checked out the Blend Your Own and put together a MDM Starter Blend. 8 ozs. for $32, 3 ozs. each of Toasted Black Cavendish and Toasted Burley with 1 oz. each of Latakia and Perique. I can't wait till it arrives. I'm thinking with the sweetness of the Cavendish and smokey, earthiness of the latakia a good Islay or the Elmer T. Lee Bourbon.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Your taste is second to none, sir. And should be a damn inspiration to us all. I hope you'll post a review when the melange arrives and tell whether or not Elmer T. approves. Hell, now I need to formulate a blend.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

I just threw that one together with out much thought. I just wanted a reference point for starters.

Miklo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Miklo »

Thanks for the advice and a good starting point. I will report back with my findings.
“And in my mind, this settles the issue. I would never drink cologne, and am therefore not an alcoholic.”
― Augusten Burroughs

David94
Souse
Souse

Post by David94 »

This has made me want to smoke my pipe again! Am a 20 a day cig smoker but have always dabbled in pipes and cigars. Seeing as I've got a week off work and it's been sunny, tomorrow I think I'm gonna devote my day to pipe smoking, whisky and playing guitar - probably progessively more poorly as the day goes on haha

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

David94 wrote: I'm gonna devote my day to pipe smoking, whisky and playing guitar - probably progessively more poorly as the day goes on haha

That's the spirit! Oh and do enjoy Spirits with the pipe. Let us know what you find to be your favorite combos.