Liquor and the Tobacco Pipe

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Palinka (RIP)

Re: Liquor and the Tobacco Pipe

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

The latest addition to my growing collection:

A classic Dublin pipe. It provides a very mellow smoke and is excellent for reading, as its balance means that it hangs comfortably from one's jaw. It burns quite slowly but evenly and, thanks to the thickness of the bowl, I have yet to find it hot to handle.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

I've been on the look out for a decently priced Peterson like that. Damned expensive but from all reports worth it.

Good to here your package has arrived safely. Please do post up your thoughts on the Trout Stream. I have a rare weekend with no overtime this weekend and plan on being ass deep in some trout waters with a corn cob of that blend to further the relaxational (it's a word) properties of said activity.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Thank you again, Patchez.

My next purchase will be a Churchwarden (who hasn't wanted one of those?)

"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

Next time I'm in Dublin I'll see if I can scrape together enough for a petersen. I have had three cheap Briars. One was stolen, another taken by airport security (?) and the third clogged up so I threw it out. The one that was stolen was the most recent, which Was a chunky bowled, straight, smooth finish. Was only just getting it broken in. I have a corncob pipe as an interim smoke but I don't feel as inclined to smoke it.

I enjoy heavy, earthy blends such as the traditional UK newsagent blend Condor. Bought petersen tobacco off the internet a few years ago but a flatmate "borrowed" it to roll joints with before I got a chance to smoke it. Need to get back in to pipe smoking because it is very relaxing, particularly alongside a whisky or rum
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Mr. Viking wrote:Next time I'm in Dublin I'll see if I can scrape together enough for a petersen [...] Need to get back in to pipe smoking...
I can heartily recommend this tobacconist.
Push comes to shove, PM me your address and I'll mail you one, with some fine tobacco to go with it.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

Apparently, Liquor and the Tobacco Pipe go way back. (second paragraph)

He's actually referring to Cohoba, which was far more than just plain tobacco.
"Booznik. Smooth, classy and manatee-like." --Bur

"Oh, you've been reading your Sir Kenelm Digby, haven't you? Stick to the mead recipes, especially that of the Mayor of Moscovy. That shizz is SACK!!!" --Badfellow

"Now stop and DRINK! bastards." --mistah willies

"A stand alone place for booze is as essential for a home, as is a bed to sleep on." --Miklo

Rev. Dead Corpse
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Rev. Dead Corpse »

I have an old briar poker pipe my darling Wife picked it up for me back when we still took tobacco as a matter of habit rather than leisure. All of one piece from chamber to lip, it had a soapstone replacement chamber in the bowl, that has since come loose. The throat at the bottom of the chamber is a tad wide to run it without a proper screen or without attempting to re-afix the bowl insert.

To me, it speaks of a sailors piece as it has a carved face on the front, matching faces on the sides that are engraved to appear to be blowing the Winds... I'll see if I can't get pictures later to post up.

Cherry Cavendish was my choice in loose tobac, but several of the blends mentioned here sound appealing.
<insert something profound here>

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Rev. Dead Corpse wrote:...it had a soapstone replacement chamber in the bowl, that has since come loose...
I would suggest that you use a tiling grout or liquid plaster to re-affix the two. Since both set as as a sort of stone, they would tolerate the heat and not give off the sort of noxious fumes that a glue would. Of course, in an ideal World, you'd be able to take it to a proper artisan-tobacconist and have it repaired, properly. However, in the short term, I think that my "quick-fix" will work best (although I'd be delighted to be corrected by someone who knows better).
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Rev. Dead Corpse
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Rev. Dead Corpse »

Palinka wrote: I would suggest that you use a tiling grout or liquid plaster to re-affix the two. Since both set as as a sort of stone, they would tolerate the heat and not give off the sort of noxious fumes that a glue would. Of course, in an ideal World, you'd be able to take it to a proper artisan-tobacconist and have it repaired, properly. However, in the short term, I think that my "quick-fix" will work best (although I'd be delighted to be corrected by someone who knows better).
Worries over toxins kept me from attempting any sort of chemical fixative. I did attempt making kind of an overlapping "shim" from a thin slice of oak. Soaked in water until pliable, wrapped around the stone, then firmly pressed into the chamber. As expected, it doesn't give the best seal which makes getting a well stoked puff difficult.
<insert something profound here>

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

I would go a step farther and use portland cement rather than plaster, as it sets harder. Both effectively set into limestone, with different densities
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Rev. Dead Corpse wrote:...it doesn't give the best seal which makes getting a well stoked puff difficult.
Try Mr. Viking's advice (he knows his stuff). If that doesn't work, then, alas, it may be time to put that one on to the "ornaments shelf" and splash out on a new model. I believe that Badfellow or Patchez (amongst others) would be able to give you good advice on a new model.

Failing that check out the link to the tobacconist that I put up, in this thread, and select a pipe, then PM me and we'll work something out.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

needs to be left at least a week I would recommend, so it can cure. More time is presumably better, though difficult to endure when smoking is involved

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Rev. Dead Corpse wrote:
Palinka wrote: I would suggest that you use a tiling grout or liquid plaster to re-affix the two. Since both set as as a sort of stone, they would tolerate the heat and not give off the sort of noxious fumes that a glue would. Of course, in an ideal World, you'd be able to take it to a proper artisan-tobacconist and have it repaired, properly. However, in the short term, I think that my "quick-fix" will work best (although I'd be delighted to be corrected by someone who knows better).
Worries over toxins kept me from attempting any sort of chemical fixative. I did attempt making kind of an overlapping "shim" from a thin slice of oak. Soaked in water until pliable, wrapped around the stone, then firmly pressed into the chamber. As expected, it doesn't give the best seal which makes getting a well stoked puff difficult.
Here you are, a fellow in downtown Minneapolis that does pipe repairs. Not sure how expensive he is, but I'm sure you could get a quote. I've never used his services personally but he does come highly recommended. http://www.lewispipe.com/repair.htm
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Q-bond. Hell, it works for radiators and tail pipes, to high temps.

Wait, I know nothing, I see nothing

Can we drink now? ---peetie44
At rock bottom, there is no down. ---The Oett
^ ^ ^ Yes his entire cutlery set and all utensils are made from assorted broken bottles.--- The Artful Detective
Just remember Hugh: a good cocktail in a shitty glass is better that a shitty cocktail in a pretty glass.---The Badfellow
I'll buy the first round if you promise to stop being a cunt. --- Dear Booze

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Holy Smoke! How's this for a pipe?

More information can be found here.
ドロンケン
ImageImage