Essential Equipment-- To Decant or not?

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Re: Essential Equipment-- To Decant or not?

Post by Resident Asshole »

I have laundry detergent in my decanters. It shows up well under the black light. My bar is ambiance just as much as function because the wife said so.

Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

Patchez wrote: However I did find a really cool, to me, decanter that I had to have. In it rests the last of my Ardbeg Corry.

Thats cool, & a steal for two bucks, but it looks a bit lonely sitting on top of that barrel by itself. Maybe you need to start a collection? As for oxidation etc theres probably something to it but i think a lot is psychological. Badfellows story demonstrates this nicely. If it smelt & tasted good to the guy, then it smelt & tasted good to the guy. Taste (& smell) is a matter of perception. If the ritual of decanting something gets you salivating, then go for it. If drinking straight from the bottle gives you a kick, & there is a pleasing mucical sound that liquid makes in an upended glass bottle, then do that too. The ideal approach would probably be to decant most of your bottle, but leave enough for a good swig at the bottom, for the sake of comparison. After all, we dont use black chalk on a blackboard now, do we?

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Good Port should be decanted. Everything else can be drunk from the bottle (literally).
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Resident Asshole wrote:I have laundry detergent in my decanters. It shows up well under the black light. My bar is ambiance just as much as function because the wife said so.
Have her hot glue them Disaronna bottles, in case someone like me shows up. Or that oett dude.

(i hear he drinks. A lot. Shhh...)

Nice lighting. Lloyd would be proud, mistah man
Can we drink now? ---peetie44
At rock bottom, there is no down. ---The Oett
^ ^ ^ Yes his entire cutlery set and all utensils are made from assorted broken bottles.--- The Artful Detective
Just remember Hugh: a good cocktail in a shitty glass is better that a shitty cocktail in a pretty glass.---The Badfellow
I'll buy the first round if you promise to stop being a cunt. --- Dear Booze

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

Palinka wrote:Good Port should be decanted. Everything else can be drunk from the bottle (literally).
most readwines really. Anything with sediment, or which tastes a bit harsh to start with. Of course, anything worth drinking should be drinkable straight from the bottle
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Mr. Viking wrote:anything worth drinking should be drinkable straight from the bottle
How bout that quote
Drink!

dev222
Tippler
Tippler

Post by dev222 »

I have year of experience with decanters and the truth is they are perfect for storing your whiskey for few weeks or months but definitely not for years as the air will alter the taste of whiskey and can even spoil it...

I wrote more information about this topic at http://www.whiskeydecanterguide.info, check it out.