Kraken Rum Sighted in the UK

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Dale
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Re: Kraken Rum Sighted in the UK

Post by Dale »

I mostly buy Rum for 5 EUR e.g. Crown Yard.
"What doesn't kill you makes you ... stranger."

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

I nearly bought a bottle on boxinday when I was staggering aroung the supermarket drunk after the horses. My brother gave me a clip round the ear though and I got two bottles of whiskey instead
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Mr. Viking wrote:I nearly bought a bottle on boxinday when I was staggering aroung the supermarket drunk after the horses. My brother gave me a clip round the ear though and I got two bottles of whiskey instead

Good brother there, yes indeed. Kraken is for sipping when expensive (and savouring as you might spell it) and two bottles of whiskey for the same price when you are already inebriated will serve your table-breaking ways much better.

Now, I have poured a couple of wee drams of Kraken into this paper envelope for you, in the post. However, the postage stamps keep slipping off...

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Resident Asshole »

Is Sailor Jerry available? Comparable to Kraken in both flavor and proof and usually cheaper.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Resident Asshole wrote:Is Sailor Jerry available? Comparable to Kraken in both flavor and proof and usually cheaper.
Sailor Jerry is available in the UK; prices vary from £17 to £25 (US$20 to US$30) per 70cl bottle (we even get 5cl, or one shot less than you guys). However, our own brands, Lambs' Navy, Wood's 100 (because it's 100 proof), Pusser's etc.), whilst still sold in 70 cl bottles, tend to be much better value; ranging from £10 to £15, and the supermarket own brands (which are always buyovers i.e. a distillery will declare, in advance, to the Tax office how many bottles of liquor they will produce for purchase for the next fiscal year; any extra liquor produced (once the free bottles for awards, collectors', specials etc.) have been added to the declared amount, will then be, usually, slightly altered (by the addition of extra vanilla and the like) and then sold to a supermarket chain to bottle and sell under their own label and arrangements with Her Majesty's Department of Taxation, Customs and Revenue. It is generally fairly easy to hunt down, online, which distiller has sold what to whom, and what extras have been added to make it differ from the distiller's brand. A weird but generally suitable arrangement, with the liquors usually retaining their flavour and strength (although, strangely, supermarket own brand vodkas and gins are almost always 37.5%ABV, whilst Whiskies, Rums, Brandies etc. almost always retain a 40% (or stronger, in a few cases) ABV) - Now there's a real XXXXX File!
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Resident Asshole

Post by Resident Asshole »

Yeah, why the hell do you guys get one less shot than us? I do have to say when I was in Europe I was astounded by how expensive drinks and shots were. Some bars up north in my own state here will sell you a shot of Jameson for $2, I think it was 4 times as much when I was running around Europe.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

Palinka wrote:(although, strangely, supermarket own brand vodkas and gins are almost always 37.5%ABV, whilst Whiskies, Rums, Brandies etc. almost always retain a 40% (or stronger, in a few cases) ABV) - Now there's a real XXXXX File!
Solved

it's a legal definition;
Whisk(e)y must be minimum 40%abv;
Rum, Vodka, Gin must be 37.5% abv minimum;
Brandy must be 36% abv minimum.

similar drinks can be found for less but will be sold by brand or as a generic "spirit"

premium rum and brandy are usually higher for marketing reasons.

I think a lot of vodka and gin was reduced from 40% at some point in the past to improve profit margins. Most people won't notice so who cares etc
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Resident Asshole wrote:Yeah, why the hell do you guys get one less shot than us? I do have to say when I was in Europe I was astounded by how expensive drinks and shots were. Some bars up north in my own state here will sell you a shot of Jameson for $2, I think it was 4 times as much when I was running around Europe.
Wow 4 times? That`s inhuman.
I`ll not pay more than 2 bucks for a shot. Imagine how much that Jäger bottle I consumed one time at the night club would`ve costed.
It was still freaking expensive I think but I was already drunk when I entered the place around midnight.
Drink!

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

That is the best time to head to a bar: when it is open.

Afternoon, it has been a long day, and time to unwind and get loose.

Midnight, then you are there to top off the stomach, and you have your glow going on.

After hours, You wake up outside in the alley and scratch at the door for just one more

Good times! Hell yes.