Kraken Rum Sighted in the UK

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Palinka (RIP)

Kraken Rum Sighted in the UK

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

For the first time ever, I saw a bottle of the twin-handled Kraken, so beloved of mistah willies. Even though it was on special offer, it was still just a penny shy of £20, which makes it a touch too rich for my wallet, sadly.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Re: Kraken Rum Sighted in the UK

Post by booznik »

That is unfortunate highway robbery indeed. I just picked up a bottle in the supermarket today for $20. At the current exchange rate, the UK bottle costs $34.

One of the defining qualities of The Kraken is that it is 47% in its home country (the rum is imported, but bottled and flavored here). A rare proof for most rums, and rarer still for any spirit that can be had for $20 a bottle. If the UK version is only 40%, as it was when Difford's Guide reviewed it, the value-for-money quotient on that UK bottle is reduced even further.

Such unfairness. This is the stuff of PWoB rants.

Then again, is that a typical grocer's spelling error, or have I been sold a cheap Chinese knockoff? Perish the thought.
"Booznik. Smooth, classy and manatee-like." --Bur

"Oh, you've been reading your Sir Kenelm Digby, haven't you? Stick to the mead recipes, especially that of the Mayor of Moscovy. That shizz is SACK!!!" --Badfellow

"Now stop and DRINK! bastards." --mistah willies

"A stand alone place for booze is as essential for a home, as is a bed to sleep on." --Miklo

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

booznik wrote:That is [...] highway robbery indeed...If the UK version is only 40%...Such unfairness. This is the stuff of PWoB rants...
Sadly, the answer is, "Yes" to all of the above. So, much as I'd like to try it, why should I spend that much, when I get get two bottles of 40% ABV Vodka, one and a half bottles of 45% ABV Scotch or one bottle and change for a bottle of 50% ABV Navy Rum for the same price? In the end, Kraken are only hurting themselves, with their pricing and their ABV policies, in the UK market.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

and £20 is cheaper than I've seen it before, it is often closer to £30 when I've seen it.
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

The Kraken is like candy to this damned Drunkard, but it is $17.99 per 750ml here, before state tax. I wouldn't drink it as often as I do (which be daily) if it cost twice that price, as good Sir booznic done the math.

Always remember three things, which are these:

The price is printed on the tag.

The cost of it to your purse is precisely proportionate to the amount of coin in said purse, and I am not a man of wealth. I am a man of Drunkitude Propensity.

The value of it is your enjoyment.

So, I would taste it upon special occasions instead of as I man now able to do.

And I would fucking savor each sip, no chugging allowed.

So what is the price (across the ocean) of the oldest one: Mount Gay?

Make your easy jokes, but it's damned fine

Can we drink now? ---peetie44
At rock bottom, there is no down. ---The Oett
^ ^ ^ Yes his entire cutlery set and all utensils are made from assorted broken bottles.--- The Artful Detective
Just remember Hugh: a good cocktail in a shitty glass is better that a shitty cocktail in a pretty glass.---The Badfellow
I'll buy the first round if you promise to stop being a cunt. --- Dear Booze

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

mistah willies wrote:...The Kraken is like candy to this damned Drunkard...
I am a man of Drunkitude Propensity.
There can't be any connection between these two qualities of the mighty mistah willies. Certainly not.

DRINK!

Mount Gay, Pusser's, Ron de Jeremy. Such naughty-sounding rums. The Kraken has tentacles... I'm sure the Japanese are interested.

Have you by chance tried the MG Extra Old?

"Oh, you've been reading your Sir Kenelm Digby, haven't you? Stick to the mead recipes, especially that of the Mayor of Moscovy. That shizz is SACK!!!" --Badfellow

"A stand alone place for booze is as essential for a home, as is a bed to sleep on." --Miklo

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

My good man, I have not. Indeed, let us call it MG from now on, in any of its forms.

Cheers to you, booznik.

DRINK!

always drink

^ ^ ^ Yes his entire cutlery set and all utensils are made from assorted broken bottles.--- The Artful Detective
Just remember Hugh: a good cocktail in a shitty glass is better that a shitty cocktail in a pretty glass.---The Badfellow

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

mistah willies wrote:My good man, I have not.
I was going to suggest, for the price, don't bother with the Extra Old. Like the unfortunate UK Kraken, it isn't worth the price unless you somehow find it at a very large discount. And a bar would probably charge you out the arrrrrse for a measure.

The regular MG was my favorite (insert whatever adjective for good but not-too-fancy you please here) rum in my early rum-drinking days. They know their stuff. Then I came across Flor de Caña. The 7yo version costs just over $20, and is an amazing rum for general rum purposes. Arr.

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

booznik wrote:Then I came across Flor de Caña. The 7yo version costs just over $20, and is an amazing rum for general rum purposes. Arr.
GOnna hve to check that stuff out. FOr general rum purposes my friend

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

There was a local drive-time radio show, years ago, that had a bit with characters named Ben Dover and Phil McKracken.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Arrrr!

Back form cleiang up form ther faier gender who try to keep up.

Clogged a sink,
sue ther toilet, not the fucking sin!

Sup ladies>

This been playbing.

Help you form being bend over

Eric Clapton (with Steve Winwood) - Double Trouble (live)

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

mistah willies wrote:The Kraken is like candy to this damned Drunkard, but it is $17.99 per 750ml here, before state tax. I wouldn't drink it as often as I do (which be daily) if it cost twice that price, as good Sir booznic done the math.

Always remember three things, which are these:

The price is printed on the tag.

The cost of it to your purse is precisely proportionate to the amount of coin in said purse, and I am not a man of wealth. I am a man of Drunkitude Propensity.

The value of it is your enjoyment.

So, I would taste it upon special occasions instead of as I man now able to do.

And I would fucking savor each sip, no chugging allowed.

So what is the price (across the ocean) of the oldest one: Mount Gay?

Make your easy jokes, but it's damned fine

This is why I buy the good stuff on occasion and why I drink the good stuff at a limit of two per session... then the Hamms and Evan line up as cannon fodder to my inebriation.

*edit--- What I'm saying is splurge when you can. No need to slam it all on one occasion. Have a cheap back up plan in place and use it.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

booznik wrote:
mistah willies wrote:My good man, I have not.
I was going to suggest, for the price, don't bother with the Extra Old. Like the unfortunate UK Kraken, it isn't worth the price unless you somehow find it at a very large discount. And a bar would probably charge you out the arrrrrse for a measure.

The regular MG was my favorite (insert whatever adjective for good but not-too-fancy you please here) rum in my early rum-drinking days. They know their stuff. Then I came across Flor de Caña. The 7yo version costs just over $20, and is an amazing rum for general rum purposes. Arr.
ARRR! me good man.

What ever the pirce, it is th eprice I will pay.

Damn all these hoops to jump through

Krack of Day!

Yarrr me hearty, from Alaska with louve and nappies and about to chug int he moaning hourrrrs

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Nice bottle and pyjamas Willies!
Drink!

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

to The Oett

i prefer the ones on the chair, and the one in my hand

Every day should start with jammies and rum

amen