Drinking:Time Ratio

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Drinking:Time Ratio

Post by Casual Binger »

There was a thread on here called Drinking:Cashflow Ratio which got me thinking. I can honestly say this is never a problem I've had. Maybe its because im a bit of a lightweight & i cant drink that much, but i think its more to do with the time available for drinking. I think if you were unemployed you'd have lots of time & not much money, but ive never been unemployed for more than a few weeks. If you accept that you have to work in order to get money for rent, food etc, then the time spent working is going to cut down the time available for drinking, while increasing the amount of money available to spend on drink. Further, since work tires you out, it means you can't drink as much anyway. I might be able to drink a case of beer in a 24 hour period, but i couldnt drink a case a day if i was working five days out of seven, so the question of whether i could afford to buy seven cases per week becomes meaningless. Obviously everyone's circumstances are different, so if you can drink on the job there's no time ratio or if your work gives you as much free alcohol as you want then theres no cash ratio either. I think it was a student who wrote the original thread. As far as i can remember when i was a student there were pubs that catered to students by selling large volumes of low quality alcohol cheaply. Anyway, i would like to try drinking a case of beer everyday for a week, but i'd have to plan ahead big time to do it by sending my wife to stay at her parents with the kids & taking a week off work. Im going to set this as a medium term goal.

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: Drinking:Time Ratio

Post by Mr. Viking »

I'd find it easier to have a bottle of vodka or gin every day. The beer would probably not do my digestion any good. Also means less time is needed. I find two bottles of wine quite doable, if expensive.

Now I work I generally save up for the weekend and drink expensive booze then, with a day or two midweek as a treat. It's a matter of finding a new routine. I need plenty of sleep if I've been drinking so If I want to get drunk on a school night I try to start as soon as I get in from work.

Work has also led me to start waking at about 6am regardless of the day, rather than my previous median of noon. Makes weekends quite odd, but morning drinking very appealing
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

Mr. Viking wrote:The beer would probably not do my digestion any good.
Yeah, the idea that if i had a whole week free to drink as much as i wanted, i would spend it drinking nothing but beer is actually stupid now that i think about it. Why miss out on cider, wine, cocktails etc?

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

Casual Binger wrote:Yeah, the idea that if i had a whole week free to drink as much as i wanted, i would spend it drinking nothing but beer is actually stupid now that i think about it. Why miss out on cider, wine, cocktails etc?
Nah, stupid would be spending it drinking non-alcoholic beverages... Nothing wrong with beer, but the expeditious drunkard aims higher. Beer is for maintaining the buzz, not creating it.
"Booznik. Smooth, classy and manatee-like." --Bur

"Oh, you've been reading your Sir Kenelm Digby, haven't you? Stick to the mead recipes, especially that of the Mayor of Moscovy. That shizz is SACK!!!" --Badfellow

"Now stop and DRINK! bastards." --mistah willies

"A stand alone place for booze is as essential for a home, as is a bed to sleep on." --Miklo

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

booznik wrote: Nothing wrong with beer, but the expeditious drunkard aims higher. Beer is for maintaining the buzz, not creating it.
Thats a place i havent arrived yet, but one i want to visit. One of the reasons for this re-boot ive nearly completed, or perhaps one of its unlooked for results, is a desire to vary my alcohol intake. I know beer will always be there for me as a fallback, so theres no need to go to the liquor store to pick up a case of beer. I can do that anyway if nothing else tickles my fancy, but i wanna go to the store with no fixed plan & see what catches my eye. As far as i recall ive never even gotten drunk by drinking nothing but straight spirits. Sure, ive gotten drunk on mixed drinks & ive mixed neat drinks in amongst beers, wine etc. but ive never just drunk a whole bottle of scotch like they do in spy movies. Another one for the list. By my reckoning its only equivalent to 14 beers, so as long as i remember to pace myself it should be fairly straightforward.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Less than two weeks till my vacation when my drinking ratio balances into a routine I enjoy than the once or twice a weekday piss up and the weekenders. Should settle into a nice 5 to 7 day drunk, wife's mood and family plans dependent.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

Casual Binger wrote:...ive never just drunk a whole bottle of scotch like they do in spy movies...
No need to do that. Hangover City! If you're just getting your game on, a good choice would be a certain amount of clear stuff. Vodka, gin, etc. 1/8 of a bottle, 1/4, whatever you're comfortable with. Then maintain with beer, and return to the booze as needed. I do enjoy that on weekends.

If you're going for cocktails, please be mindful of the sweet ones. They will hammer you the next morning. Martinis should treat you well, especially on the rocks. Just my experience, anyway.

When it comes to Scotch, I enjoy it in single-malt form, sparingly. The one exception to sparingly is Dalwhinnie. Seductive temptress.

I seem to be rambling on. About your plan to go and shop with no fixed plan: I like that. Sometimes you don't know what you'll like until you pick up something you've never seen before and take a gamble. The trick is to do a little research, and go in knowing what's worthy, and what's just heavily-marketed trendy bullocks.
"Booznik. Smooth, classy and manatee-like." --Bur

"Oh, you've been reading your Sir Kenelm Digby, haven't you? Stick to the mead recipes, especially that of the Mayor of Moscovy. That shizz is SACK!!!" --Badfellow

"Now stop and DRINK! bastards." --mistah willies

"A stand alone place for booze is as essential for a home, as is a bed to sleep on." --Miklo

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

Dalwhinnie, eh? Only tried it once, but i can honestly say its the most i ever enjoyed scotch. Have asked after it in bars but never found it. Was always reluctant to splash out on a bottle as i might be disappointed. One day though.

Yeah, would never get through a whole bottle of scotch on my first attempt, but would like to drink enough to experience a different kund of drunk with no added sugar, so to speak. Will make a start in Japan as they sell 180ml bottles for less than Y500. Good place to start.

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

Casual Binger wrote: As far as i recall ive never even gotten drunk by drinking nothing but straight spirits.
what?
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

oh, and the key to starting, I found, is to buy a bottle, and take as large a swig as possible. Continue as and when it can be stomached. Drunkeness ensued. This is how I discovered my love for teacher's blended scotch. If anything, it means a lot of spirits are drunk, new bottles bought and tastes discovered with time. Good chugging whisky, good sipping whisky and good mixing whisky are all different.

Also, drinking strong liqueurs such as cointreau or drambuie can be amusing as they don't taste nearly as strong as they are

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

Mr. Viking wrote:
Casual Binger wrote: As far as i recall ive never even gotten drunk by drinking nothing but straight spirits.
what?
True story. Of course ive gotten drunk on mostly straight spirits, but theres always been at least a few beers or something else involved. Ive drunk enough straight that ive been red faced & wouldnt be allowed to drive, but never actually really drunk. Or if i have i cant recall it. The fact that people do it means there must be something different about it. Only one way to find out.

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

Actually ive been drunk on rocket fuel as a young teen, but i cant really recall the details.

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

Mr. Viking wrote:oh, and the key to starting, I found, is to buy a bottle, and take as large a swig as possible.
Agree with this. Maybe not as large as possible, because if you fill your cheeks up like a squirrel you might cough & it goes everywhere, but theres no point sipping strong drink. All the flavour you get is the alcohol burn & a hint of medicine. You've got to have enough to roll it around your mouth noisily like you're rinsing your mouth after brushing your teeth. This has the added effect of annoying people who take things too seriously.

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

Casual Binger wrote: but theres no point sipping strong drink. All the flavour you get is the alcohol burn & a hint of medicine. You've got to have enough to roll it around your mouth noisily like you're rinsing your mouth after brushing your teeth. This has the added effect of annoying people who take things too seriously.
I like your spirit (pun intended) but there's definitely spirits worth sipping. I just don't have as much time for them, and they are usually just as good ( and much more fun) swigged.

Why bother getting a luxury good if you're going to be miserly with it. Buy fine whisky and chug it. If you can't afford to chug it you won't properly enjoy it, buy something cheaper. The main thing is that it should flow freely. Who wants to have one glass of wine at a dinner party, good as it may be. Better to have a flagon of swill

Miklo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Miklo »

Mr. Viking wrote:Why bother getting a luxury good if you're going to be miserly with it. Buy fine whisky and chug it. If you can't afford to chug it you won't properly enjoy it, buy something cheaper. The main thing is that it should flow freely. Who wants to have one glass of wine at a dinner party, good as it may be. Better to have a flagon of swill
That is my thought exactly. Let the booze flow freely. Better a barrel of bottom shelf, then a fifth of top shelf!
“And in my mind, this settles the issue. I would never drink cologne, and am therefore not an alcoholic.”
― Augusten Burroughs