The wonders of hombrew

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

shawnonious
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Re: The wonders of hombrew

Post by shawnonious »

Damn that's crazy. I'm still experimenting with extract brewing with specialty grains. One of these days I'll step up to all grain.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" -Tom Waits

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

Hey, this beer tastes extra batty!
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

AntonArkydivich
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by AntonArkydivich »

brandonman wrote:Damn that's crazy. I'm still experimenting with extract brewing with specialty grains. One of these days I'll step up to all grain.
Try BIAB (brew in a bag). All-grain is cheaper, and literally every single beer I've brewed, the all-grain tastes better.

I just take a nylon brew bag, line my kettle, wrap a towel around the whole thing to maintain the heat, and stir occasionally. Don't have to sparge much afterwards, just hang the mash and rinse it with a half-gallon of water or so.

I only say that because if you're doing speciality grains, you can brew all-grain. It's way easier then a lot of folks make it sound. Not saying my method is proper, but it makes good beer for me.

Moonshine malt-liquor tester bottle today.
Making my own city lights out of bourbon and the stars of a barroom fight.
- Josh Ritter

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

frankennietzsche wrote:Hey, this beer tastes extra batty!
But the Guano gives it such extra body, sir.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Smatter Noguts
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Smatter Noguts »

I gave up home brewing 25 years ago after 30 or so recipes tried because a high percentage didn't turn out, it made my then new bride sick from the smell and a good friend I brewed with almost died after a carboy shattered and cut an artery.

I live where they are small craft-brew joints opening up every week, a sure sign we are past peak-beer. I live viacariously through thier innovations.

shawnonious
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by shawnonious »

AntonArkydivich wrote:
brandonman wrote:Damn that's crazy. I'm still experimenting with extract brewing with specialty grains. One of these days I'll step up to all grain.
Try BIAB (brew in a bag). All-grain is cheaper, and literally every single beer I've brewed, the all-grain tastes better.

I just take a nylon brew bag, line my kettle, wrap a towel around the whole thing to maintain the heat, and stir occasionally. Don't have to sparge much afterwards, just hang the mash and rinse it with a half-gallon of water or so.

I only say that because if you're doing speciality grains, you can brew all-grain. It's way easier then a lot of folks make it sound. Not saying my method is proper, but it makes good beer for me.

Moonshine malt-liquor tester bottle today.
Yea, I've read about BIAB, and keep saying I'm going to try it. Problem is, I have an electric stove and wouldn't feel safe having too large of a boil. My boils currently start out at 3 gallons in a really large kettle. I don't want to crack the glass, and also don't want to find that I can't achieve the heats I need to. Hm. Maybe I should get a propane cooker for over the summer and do it right...

shawnonious
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by shawnonious »

Smatter Noguts wrote:I gave up home brewing 25 years ago after 30 or so recipes tried because a high percentage didn't turn out, it made my then new bride sick from the smell and a good friend I brewed with almost died after a carboy shattered and cut an artery.

I live where they are small craft-brew joints opening up every week, a sure sign we are past peak-beer. I live viacariously through thier innovations.
Yea I won't touch glass carboys for that very reason. I do all of mine in brewing buckets.

AntonArkydivich
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by AntonArkydivich »

brandonman wrote:
Smatter Noguts wrote:I gave up home brewing 25 years ago after 30 or so recipes tried because a high percentage didn't turn out, it made my then new bride sick from the smell and a good friend I brewed with almost died after a carboy shattered and cut an artery.

Yea I won't touch glass carboys for that very reason. I do all of mine in brewing buckets.
Usually it helps to only use carboys for secondaries, less CO2 buildup. I have never heard if one exploding, but that is freaking terrifying.

And buy a propane cooker. Best brewing investment I've made outside my kettle. They just sip gas, and you can get a good one for 30 bucks.
Making my own city lights out of bourbon and the stars of a barroom fight.
- Josh Ritter

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

I don't really know what you guys are talking about with gas n such. Do you make your own wort? Commendable, but I just use this. Yeah it's plastic, but it's easy n I've never had a batch where I haven't drunk every bottle. Except for a couple I left in the freezer overnight.

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Resident Asshole »

I keep talking about getting back into it, now that I'm part of a beer group I really should. Beer group is going on camping trip this summer and my campsite partners wanted to do something crazy to make our campsite stand out. My idea was to brew beer over the weekend while we are there.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

Casual Binger wrote:I don't really know what you guys are talking about with gas n such..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=comGwbIAH38
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

Casual Binger wrote:I don't really know what you guys are talking about with gas n such. Do you make your own wort? Commendable, but I just use this. Yeah it's plastic, but it's easy n I've never had a batch where I haven't drunk every bottle. Except for a couple I left in the freezer overnight.
I use the same bucket for brewing. Wasn't sure at first, but it works consistently brews fine, it has a tap for kegging/bottling and it's really easy to clean.
Chateau Viking cider mill is back in business and I've just moved some cider into aging, will maybe sit in the shed over the winter to mellow, or maybe not. Hoping to scale up again to about 2 gallons a week on average
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

Barelled some cider today. Thought it had an infection, then mould, and panicked, was just some tea leavfes floating with yeast stuck to them. Tastes great. As I've said before need to scale up again, going to buy a load of apples tomorrow. might even stretch to some proper brewing yeast. Wait, no, bugger that, I've loads of bread yeast left, and tea leaves to spare

GraveyardShiftChuck
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by GraveyardShiftChuck »

Both my dad and my grandpa on my mother's side made their own wine, grandpa more often. Unfortunately, both of them died before I got interested in wine.
May you all be hung, drawn and quartered!
Yes, HUNG - with gold and jewels,
DRAWN - in a coach and four,
and QUARTERED - in the finest homes in the land.

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

bought 50 litres of apple juice today to make cider for hockey tour in July. I am an organised drunkard