In Defence of Champagne

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

In Defence of Champagne

Post by Casual Binger »

So, I got home from NZ yesterday to find the latest issue of MDM waiting in my mailbox. Nice! Even a zombie story by the big man himself. My kind of read. But, I have to take exception with the petty little rant against champagne. The author doesn't like the taste. Don't drink it, you don't have to put it down. I don't really like bourbon but I don't go on about it. Her problem seemed to be that she goes to lame parties where the host makes a big deal out of serving everyone one glass n one time a magnum failed to get her n three friends drunk but gave them indigestion. Is a magnum something other than a double size wine bottle in the US? Does half a bottle of wine each normally get you drunk? Do you know that with fizzy drinks in big bottles it works better if you pour it into a glass?

If the diatribe is purely about real French champagne being overrated n overpriced, then she's not wrong. Most single malt Scotch is also overrated n overpriced. If her issue is with Methode Champenoise in general, it's a little unfair to impugn the drink just because she doesn't know how to imbibe it enjoyably.

Here's how I enjoy champagne x by which I mean methode x at a garden party in summer, on a well mown lawn with a stripy marquee at one end overlooked by a grand house with shady verandas. The champers is served upon arrival from an outdoor table covered with white cloth n bearing dozens of flutes which are constantly being filled as need dictates. To be honest this doesnt happen very often, generally weddings, milestone birthdays n the odd xmas party. That's what makes it special.

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: In Defence of Champagne

Post by Mr. Viking »

it is a scam though
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Agree, same here.
Is the athor the same person who wrote a diatribe on what the perfect mary has to taste and look like?
If so, ignore!
Drink!

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

I was under the impression that the author was complaining about the lack of anything but Champagne at parties, these days.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage