I think i found a way to defeat vomiting

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar

User avatar
Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway
Posts: 3940
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:23 am
Location: Norris Green

Re: I think i found a way to defeat vomiting

Post by Mr. Viking » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:12 pm

Thirsticus wrote:
givemesomepils wrote: Someone gave me a tip, chewing peppermint gum when you feel you are about to vomit helps. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to try and remember the next time.
It is impossible to vomit or cry when you have peppermint in your mouth. Scientific fact.
listen to him, he's pre-med
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

User avatar
Jordo!
Booze Head
Booze Head
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:04 pm
Location: Blank Generation

Re: I think i found a way to defeat vomiting

Post by Jordo! » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:47 pm

givemesomepils wrote:I don't know how it is in your case when you vomit, but for me it is usually just after a drink. so for me i think it makes a difference.
I have even vomited what I would guess was only beer with a small amount of stomach acid once just after finishing a couple of 40 oz's.

Someone gave me a tip, chewing peppermint gum when you feel you are about to vomit helps. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to try and remember the next time.
A lot of the whole vomiting thing is due to either dangerously high levels of alcohol in your blood, so your brainstem is trying to keep you alive, or dizziness from nystagmus vs inner ear vestibular system feedback (essentially "sea sickness" -- also possible from FPS games where the eyes note directional changes out of sync with head movement); the rest is good old fashioned gastrointestinal distress (mint may ease the latter through some druidical property of which I am aware of but ignorant as to the underlying mechanism -- probably acts as a neutralizing base to churning stomach acids).

For the others, only training your liver to metabolize the alcohol more expeditiously (a well trained toper can metabolize booze up to 4x faster than a novice --you must drink through the weakness of your liver to achieve this -- warning, may kill you via cirrhosis or even hepatitis eventually...), or slowing down (or puking) will help (and in the case of imminent alcohol poisoning, better to hurl).

There's an active ingredient in milk thistle (speaking of druidism), the name of which escapes me, but copious doses of that make for a good, and empirically demonstrated, liver tonic.

In short, the best tip is: Know your limitations, train your liver slowly but surely, avoid drinking swill that tastes like shit, and if all else fails, excuse yourself to a bathroom, hurl as quietly as possible. rinse with mouthwash, re-hydrate with water (coconut water or gator aide is good for this), pop a vitamin B and some calcium (the synthesis/absorption, respectively, is disrupted by booze, which can make you feel wobbly), pop an aspirin (you already tripped over something), towel off (the alcohol you secrete through your skin prevents absorption of oxygen, further making you feel ill), and have another drink.

If you can't handle it, call it a night. fight the good fight another day.

Another pro-tip: Running amok (e.g., slam dancing at a punk rock show) plus having some water now and again will help you metabolize the booze faster than sitting still to pickle in your poison juices. Running amok + water = hangover free :D

Again, just puke and continue if able. Why put on a tough face just to vomit all over yourself in your sleep (this was the downfall of Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, and many, many other hard partiers...)

Now, if it's a drinking contest, unless money is at stake, everyone just happily drinks until they hit their limit, so everyone wins, right? Puking/passing out (and hopefully coming to later) would be the limit...

Now if just a few beers is making you puke, either its shit beer, you are allergic to something in the beer (try my good friend Mr. Vodka!), you have something in you that just doesn't mix well with the beer, or, you need to gradually build up your stamina (go wath Broken Lizard's Beerfest! :-D )

The goal of drinking is not to show your strength -- that's for kids with something to prove. The goal of drinking to either subdue or let loose the inner demons and muses and to open the gateless barrier of Mumon seki (or pass out trying).
Thirsticus wrote:
givemesomepils wrote: Someone gave me a tip, chewing peppermint gum when you feel you are about to vomit helps. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to try and remember the next time.
It is impossible to vomit or cry when you have peppermint in your mouth. Scientific fact.
I have vomited up Rumlplemintz -- 100 proof peppermint schnapps, so perhaps an exception?

Why wouldn't you be able to cry?

Is this like the sneezing while farting question famously posed by George Carlin?
Enjoy it. Destroy it.

givemesomepils
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Posts: 508
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:35 pm
Location: Somewhere in texas

Re: I think i found a way to defeat vomiting

Post by givemesomepils » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:12 pm

Jordo! wrote:If you can't handle it, call it a night. fight the good fight another day.

Another pro-tip: Running amok (e.g., slam dancing at a punk rock show) plus having some water now and again will help you metabolize the booze faster than sitting still to pickle in your poison juices. Running amok + water = hangover free :D

Again, just puke and continue if able. Why put on a tough face just to vomit all over yourself in your sleep (this was the downfall of Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, and many, many other hard partiers...)
I don't pass out without pills so don't worry about that. also why train your liver, having a high tolerance to liquor is something I hate, I can't afford to get drunk anymore. So now i just drink from when i wake up to when I sleep at about the pace of 1 to 2 drinks an hour and i just have a calm feeling through out the day. if i try to get drunk all my liquor will be gone in 2 hours. anyway good points, besides the training your liver thing.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." hunter s. thompson god rest his soul

User avatar
Jordo!
Booze Head
Booze Head
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:04 pm
Location: Blank Generation

Re: I think i found a way to defeat vomiting

Post by Jordo! » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:19 pm

givemesomepils wrote:
Jordo! wrote:If you can't handle it, call it a night. fight the good fight another day.

Another pro-tip: Running amok (e.g., slam dancing at a punk rock show) plus having some water now and again will help you metabolize the booze faster than sitting still to pickle in your poison juices. Running amok + water = hangover free :D

Again, just puke and continue if able. Why put on a tough face just to vomit all over yourself in your sleep (this was the downfall of Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, and many, many other hard partiers...)
I don't pass out without pills so don't worry about that. also why train your liver, having a high tolerance to liquor is something I hate, I can't afford to get drunk anymore. So now i just drink from when i wake up to when I sleep at about the pace of 1 to 2 drinks an hour and i just have a calm feeling through out the day. if i try to get drunk all my liquor will be gone in 2 hours. anyway good points, besides the training your liver thing.
That's a very fair point. It's nice to take some time off to let your tolerance get lower -- a powerful liver means a bigger booze budget.

Well, one other thing to try is promethazine if you can get it (anticholinergic, anti-emetic); OTC doxylamine succinate (aka unisom) also has anti-emetic effects.

Still, I just prefer barfing to feeling queasy...
Enjoy it. Destroy it.

givemesomepils
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Posts: 508
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:35 pm
Location: Somewhere in texas

Re: I think i found a way to defeat vomiting

Post by givemesomepils » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:24 pm

Jordo! wrote: Well, one other thing to try is promethazine if you can get it (anticholinergic, anti-emetic); OTC doxylamine succinate (aka unisom) also has anti-emetic effects.

Still, I just prefer barfing to feeling queasy...
Promethazine is great, if you can get it.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." hunter s. thompson god rest his soul

User avatar
Jordo!
Booze Head
Booze Head
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:04 pm
Location: Blank Generation

Re: I think i found a way to defeat vomiting

Post by Jordo! » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:24 pm

Well, if you find you suffer from sea- or air-sickness or other ailments that frequently provoke nausea, you would have a very legitimate reason to consult a physician and inquire about the potential value of promethazine...
Enjoy it. Destroy it.

givemesomepils
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Posts: 508
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:35 pm
Location: Somewhere in texas

Re: I think i found a way to defeat vomiting

Post by givemesomepils » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:16 pm

Jordo! wrote:Well, if you find you suffer from sea- or air-sickness or other ailments that frequently provoke nausea, you would have a very legitimate reason to consult a physician and inquire about the potential value of promethazine...
yeah, dr.s are a little reluctant to give out prescriptions here,;because this is the area where the whole purple drank trend started.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." hunter s. thompson god rest his soul

User avatar
Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway
Posts: 3940
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:23 am
Location: Norris Green

Re: I think i found a way to defeat vomiting

Post by Mr. Viking » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:47 pm

I wish I could have not boked last friday, I was confined to the tent. And I thought I was well behaved on vodka sambucas. Apparently I'm not allowed to have fun. At least I did it properly, I put my hands up, then saw sense, dropped them and threw up, back arrow straight, over a table of revellers. I extended my deepest apologies and went for a cigarette. They didn't seem bothered. I love england
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

User avatar
rivuxgamma
Booze Head
Booze Head
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:53 am

Re: I think i found a way to defeat vomiting

Post by rivuxgamma » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:30 pm

givemesomepils wrote:On the metal festival I once puked in a huge beer mug and tried to re-drink the vomit to unsatisfactorily results.
That is very metal of you. Well done!
I'll fill this out when I'm smarter

User avatar
SKguy
Booze Head
Booze Head
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:43 pm
Location: Saskatchewan

Re: I think i found a way to defeat vomiting

Post by SKguy » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:45 pm

When I start feeling like I'm gonna puke, I drink lots of water. That usually suppresses it.

User avatar
oettinger
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed
Posts: 9852
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:23 am

Re: I think i found a way to defeat vomiting

Post by oettinger » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:18 pm

SKguy wrote:When I start feeling like I'm gonna puke, I drink lots of water. That usually suppresses it.
He
I do not remember posting that ^^^
Image

User avatar
mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.
Posts: 6471
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:48 pm
Location: A ship upon the vast ocean of the Mighty MDM
Contact:

Re: I think i found a way to defeat vomiting

Post by mistah willies » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:48 pm

Up with Chuck! Take a ride with Ralph in the Buick!

Hey, you have to keep it down like a man. If it doesn't go through the liver and kidneys, then you are abusing alcohol.

Never abuse alcohol! Drink it all, and get tight and high as a kite

User avatar
oettinger
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed
Posts: 9852
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:23 am

Re: I think i found a way to defeat vomiting

Post by oettinger » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:53 pm

I stoped to look at my mom
I do not remember posting that ^^^
Image

User avatar
sloweducation
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard
Posts: 182
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:28 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: I think i found a way to defeat vomiting

Post by sloweducation » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:54 pm

The only times I have ever vomited occurred after drinking a shit ton and then being in a car. I have puked out the window while going 70 mph on the highway 3 times that I can remember, yet I more often consume a bottle of whiskey and fall asleep while reading.

User avatar
oldsmartskunk
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:07 am

Re: I think i found a way to defeat vomiting

Post by oldsmartskunk » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:58 am

I think i reached my personal record of distance vomiting. It was like 3,5 meters of projectile vomit. It was fun!

Post Reply