Square Bottles for thought?

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Square Bottles for thought?

Post by mistah willies »

For you newcomers, (me, as well) some info about Tennessee whiskey in a square bottle, vs. some fine bourbon.

Since this fine site of FKR's design does not ascribe to the weakening and sellout of TDJD...

What are your thoughts about a fine Kentucky Bourbon, built in the Pirate style that pillaged from them dastardly robbers of their own once-delicious-taste and solid family name who sold us all down the river?

Here's another true tale of Ezra Brooks.

That writer does a decent job of telling the history, (but it is a bit of twistory, since the author has his own purpose for writing this quite marvelous depiction of the very tasty Ezra) so there are good props for his solid research.

I'll be drinking in honor of true punk, against them money grabbers, aka The Man.

Ezra. It Tastes Good.

Forgive them rockers for not knowing this history.

We here seek to educate and elucidate the Modern Drunkards of the world.

amen

WhiskeyReb
Souse
Souse

Re: Square Bottles for thought?

Post by WhiskeyReb »

I toured the Jack Daniel's distillery recently. A very entertaining tour, complete with a few sips of "Tennessee sipping whiskey" to round things off. Bought a couple of bottles of Jack Daniel's Single Barrel. One is 64% alcohol, and is some dang fine stuff. I personally think the charcoal filtering process actually does filter out a lot of the corn oil, which depending on your taste buds, is a good or bad thing. I think it produces a cleaner whiskey.

Now, as for Old #7, I like the texture but wish they hadn't reduced the alcohol level. Right now I'm drinking it because a local liquor store has it on sale, and I prefer it to Jim Beam white label.

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

There's a couple of squarish bottles on sale in Dan Murphys at the moment that I'm tempted by. Bernheim Wheat Whiskey n Elijah Craig 12. The Bernheim is 45 n the Elijah 47%. They're both $62, which would be a rip off if this stuff were widely available here, but that it's not. Has anyone had the Bernheim? How does it compare to Scotch?

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

WhiskeyReb wrote:Now, as for Old #7, I like the texture but wish they hadn't reduced the alcohol level. Right now I'm drinking it because a local liquor store has it on sale, and I prefer it to Jim Beam white label.
When I first visited this page I felt miserable but haven`t touched old 7 since. Jim Beam white label has never been an adequate alternative
Drink!

ScurvyDog
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by ScurvyDog »

Only square bottle is the evan williams white label 100 proof. rest is shit!
The perfect combination of redneck and beach bum.

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

OK, took the time to actually read the links. The Ezra Brooks thing is interesting but unsuprising. Everythings a scam, everyones a player, if you accept this n start from scratch it comes down to how much you wanna pay to play. You think Justerini n Brooks tastes like it did in the 18th century? Almost certainly not n thank god for that! How many blended scotch whiskies have caramel n shit in them? How many get most of their flavour from used casks? If Jack gets its flavour from ten feet of charcoal, you have to wonder what was wrong with it in the first place that necessitated such lengths.

Having said that, Islay malts smokiness has gotta be real, doesnt it? Id hate to find out theyve all been adding iodine with an eye dropper or something.

Im drinking Clare Valley riesling n am about to start on Little Creatures Pale Ale.

The other thing about those links is that one had a link to another site called Old Oligarch which sounds like its written for Sarah Palins fan club or something.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Casual Binger wrote:OK, took the time to actually read the links
You just found me with my internet-pants down.

Caramel in a whisky is a no-no to me. Only thing worse is some chemical vanilla flavour, it ougth to be the same sometimes I think.
Drink!

AntonArkydivich
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by AntonArkydivich »

oettinger wrote:

Caramel in a whisky is a no-no to me. Only thing worse is some chemical vanilla flavour, it ougth to be the same sometimes I think.
May I ask why? Preference?

I had a 23 yr. old scotch with some caramel at the ended that I thought rounded out the 63% alcohol.
Making my own city lights out of bourbon and the stars of a barroom fight.
- Josh Ritter

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

Hi anton de arkidicich or whatever im not a good spellere. I fort wgat i was gunna say. Mustve been importannrb

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

Submit, not enter
Xquare bottlres, keyborad stoned drunk yes

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

Guten morgan if you're up. I'm up. Any thoughts on the Wallabies? Silly name, I'd be scareder of. Kangaroos is that. Word scareder?

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

AntonArkydivich wrote:
oettinger wrote:

May I ask why? Preference?

I had a 23 yr. old scotch with some caramel at the ended that I thought rounded out the 63% alcohol.
Does "no remember" count? I knew I didn`t like it by the moment I didn`t punch the whole bottle down. Allegedly it was something very expensive
Drink!

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

free carabiner flashlight with every 1.75L Ezra purchse.
Apparently I have 43 of thejm so get them while they're availabvl
Fuckin drink what you like
Cheers
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

shawnonious
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by shawnonious »

I had TJD once as my first whiskey I ever bought (illicitly from a friend, I might add, since I can say that now).

It was the only liquor I've ever spat out.

I wasn't a refined drunkard then, however. However, at the Jack price point I may as well splurge for Jameson. If I want whiskey, I want it Jameson or higher (up to scotches). Oddly enough, I like "shit" whiskeys more than I like jack. I only do jack as a shot when I'm pissed and need to loosen up at a gig, and we're at a dive (like we usually are) whose only whiskey is Jack.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" -Tom Waits

AntonArkydivich
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by AntonArkydivich »

Damn, get me to your dives. All mine serve something between shoe leather and nail polish remover. House whiskey for me is a synonym for "possibly used to kill roaches and sterilize YMCA showers".
Making my own city lights out of bourbon and the stars of a barroom fight.
- Josh Ritter