Steel Reserve has multiple ABV's

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar

John Barleycorn
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Re: Steel Reserve has multiple ABV's

Post by John Barleycorn » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:20 pm

It is my understanding that for malt liquor and many of the lower end macrobrews the brewery makes a batch at high strength then waters it down to whatever strength a particular market, usual due to their laws, requires.

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: Steel Reserve has multiple ABV's

Post by Mr. Viking » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:41 pm

John Barleycorn wrote:It is my understanding that for malt liquor and many of the lower end macrobrews the brewery makes a batch at high strength then waters it down to whatever strength a particular market, usual due to their laws, requires.
I was told on the Tennent's brewery tour that they brew to around 7% , and it gets watered down to 4% before packaging. They explained that because alcohol is hygroscopic, ie absorbs water from the air, if the beer was brewed to 4% they couldn't guarantee that after transportation and packaging. They therefore brew to a higher strength and keep it there before watering down at the last instant. Those breweries are a tricksy bunch.

Might explain why some microbrews seem inconsistent between formats and bars?
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best