Zombies, how many is too many?

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Dr Cyclops
Souse
Souse

Zombies, how many is too many?

Post by Dr Cyclops »

This past Friday after a long and stressful day at work I developed a real urge for some vitamin-C and booze and what better way to get both than from the King Kong of all things Tiki...The Zombie. I'm talking about the 1934 "Original" Tiki Monster invented by Don Beach and not the Romero or Voodoo kind.I'm pretty sure I had at least 4 but possibly as many as 6 interspersed with some beer before I drifted off to my Skull Island slumber.I woke up feeling great, no doubt from the massive doses of vitamin-C that my body had been craving.
What do you guys think is a sane number to drink in an afternoon?
The Zombie (1934) Ingredients:
3/4 oz. Fresh Lime Juice
1/2 oz. Don's Mix
1/2 oz. Falernum
1 1/2 oz. 80 proof Gold Puerto Rican Rum
1 1/2 oz. 80 proof Aged Jamaican Rum
1 oz. 151-proof Lemon Hart Demerara Rum
1 Dash. Angostura Bitters
6 drops. (1/8 tsp.) Pernod
1 tsp. Grenadine
6 oz. (3/4 cup) Crushed Ice

(I've been substituting St. Vincent Sunset 169 Proof Rum for the 151-proof Lemon Hart)

http://drcyclopstikilounge.blogspot.ca/ ... ecipe.html

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Zombies, how many is too many?

Post by Badfellow »

5-6 sounds reasonable given the recipe you've most graciously provided. In my esteem, Beachcomber Don is basically the Picasso of the cocktail world, and the Zombie rates as one of his finest works. What really pulls the whole drink together is good rum and falernum as a backbone with the right citrus sour mix for counterweight. It might be worth tracking down some pomegranate or blood orange liqueur to substitute for grenadine, assuming you're working in the lab at home.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Dr Cyclops
Souse
Souse

Post by Dr Cyclops »

Badfellow wrote:5It might be worth tracking down some pomegranate or blood orange liqueur to substitute for grenadine, assuming you're working in the lab at home.
Yes, more booze, just what the Zombie needs...I like the cut of your jib.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

1,2 get your tounge wet

3,4 feel some effect

5,6 ok cool, I`m doing fine

I think you did it right by my estimation.

Most of those vitamins will get flushed out, as your body can`t proceed as quick. A healthy overdose is recommended by me, your doctor.
Drink!

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Ya know, I have never been to a proper tiki bar. Kind of embarrassed to admit that. I know there are none in my Podunk part of PA. Pretty sure Harrisburg doesn't have any either. I wonder in Baltimore does? Maybe I can find one in Tampa next time we visit the wife's family.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

Dr Cyclops wrote:
Badfellow wrote:5It might be worth tracking down some pomegranate or blood orange liqueur to substitute for grenadine, assuming you're working in the lab at home.
Yes, more booze, just what the Zombie needs...I like the cut of your jib.
Hear that, Badfellow?...Doc C says he'd like to cut your jib.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Before the revolution, I was employed as a jib cutter in Cuba. Of course, it was daiquiris in those days rather than zombies, and instead of cutting jibs we just ended up getting drunk a lot.

Here's the other zombie ingredient I forgot to mention: apricot brandy. It comes up frequently in zombie recipes from the 1960s onward, particularly in places where the more exotic ingredients might be hard to find.

Dr Cyclops
Souse
Souse

Post by Dr Cyclops »

Badfellow wrote:5-6 sounds reasonable given the recipe you've most graciously provided. In my esteem, Beachcomber Don is basically the Picasso of the cocktail world, and the Zombie rates as one of his finest works. What really pulls the whole drink together is good rum and falernum as a backbone with the right citrus sour mix for counterweight. It might be worth tracking down some pomegranate or blood orange liqueur to substitute for grenadine, assuming you're working in the lab at home.
I hunted down a bottle of 'Pama' a pomegranate liqueur which I substituted for grenadine and it worked great.One more step towards the all alcohol Zombie>
Thanks Badfellow for the great idea.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Dr Cyclops wrote:One more step towards the all alcohol Zombie>...
I knew you were a true, fellow super-villain of booze. Today, the Zombie. Tomorrow, the Scorpion Bowl.

Dr Cyclops
Souse
Souse

Post by Dr Cyclops »

I wonder if I could fill a Scorpion Bowl with Jet Pilots...umm

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

4 for me it seems. The second and last time I had them was a friend's 21st birthday in glasgow. Were in a bar whose name eludes me on ashton lane, and zombies seemed like a great diversion. I woke up 3 hours later on my face in the street about a mile away
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

dipsomaniac
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by dipsomaniac »

I say one fine crafted Tiki drink an hour braced by one liter of water and a steady supply of wine will make you time travel in about five hours.
Ginger, Ginger as Spice, as an Aquavit and as Spice Girl

Gall4185
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Gall4185 »

Playing drinking games whilst drinking Zombies ranks up there with some of my dumbest ideas on a night out. Six or seven were consumed in far too quick a manner for me to feel anywhere near human the next day