Another Solo Mission

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar

Post Reply
Hugh
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:38 am
Location: San Diego CA

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Hugh » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:12 pm

Sammy wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:39 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2nZiLBbnnQ
Listening to those melancholy songs while solo drinking can be depressing. When I was younger I used to enjoy a good cry listening to stuff like that alone at night.

That song sounds like it has a lot of American country music influence in it.

User avatar
Fabricsoftner
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Posts: 737
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:46 pm
Location: Tampa. FL

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Fabricsoftner » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:20 pm

I've reached a point where I'm more comfortable drinking alone than I am with others, in most cases. There are practical reasons for this, for instance, the problem of transportation/driving when public transportation is either unavailable or expensive. It's also more expensive to drink in a bar and pay for each individual drink than it is to buy a bottle and drink at home. There's also the issue of who to drink with. There's nothing more unpleasant than drinking with people who judge you for abnormal levels of intoxication. If drinking buddies aren't available, drinking in solitude is certainly preferable.

When I drink socially, I like to drink to certain limit, but I don't truly enjoy reaching the heights of drunkenness until I'm alone. Solitude allows for an amount of freedom and comfort that is lost when around others.
<@Riddeford> lying on the ground laughing then going to get drunk on a pier. isn't what was fabric was born to do?

<apE> if theyd spend half as much time drinking as they do bitching, itd all be good

<@Fabric> Pint: why do I feel like shit?
<%pint> Fabric: people

<@fiyah> you're unemployed and drunk, you have no standards

Hugh
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:38 am
Location: San Diego CA

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Hugh » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:01 pm

Fabricsoftner wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:20 pm
I've reached a point where I'm more comfortable drinking alone than I am with others, in most cases. There are practical reasons for this, for instance, the problem of transportation/driving when public transportation is either unavailable or expensive. It's also more expensive to drink in a bar and pay for each individual drink than it is to buy a bottle and drink at home. There's also the issue of who to drink with. There's nothing more unpleasant than drinking with people who judge you for abnormal levels of intoxication. If drinking buddies aren't available, drinking in solitude is certainly preferable.

When I drink socially, I like to drink to certain limit, but I don't truly enjoy reaching the heights of drunkenness until I'm alone. Solitude allows for an amount of freedom and comfort that is lost when around others.
Inserting a Thumb Up here.

User avatar
Patchez
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill
Posts: 5179
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:41 pm
Location: South Central, PA

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Patchez » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:42 pm

Fabricsoftner wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:20 pm
I've reached a point where I'm more comfortable drinking alone than I am with others, in most cases. There are practical reasons for this, for instance, the problem of transportation/driving when public transportation is either unavailable or expensive. It's also more expensive to drink in a bar and pay for each individual drink than it is to buy a bottle and drink at home. There's also the issue of who to drink with. There's nothing more unpleasant than drinking with people who judge you for abnormal levels of intoxication. If drinking buddies aren't available, drinking in solitude is certainly preferable.

When I drink socially, I like to drink to certain limit, but I don't truly enjoy reaching the heights of drunkenness until I'm alone. Solitude allows for an amount of freedom and comfort that is lost when around others.
I think you just haven't found the right home bar yet. You find a good divey local and get to know everyone of the regulars they are usually ok with going off the "deep end" as long as it doesn't involve ritual sacrifice. The really great bars let you stay after hours for that.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

User avatar
Fabricsoftner
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Posts: 737
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:46 pm
Location: Tampa. FL

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Fabricsoftner » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:49 pm

Patchez wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:42 pm
Fabricsoftner wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:20 pm
I've reached a point where I'm more comfortable drinking alone than I am with others, in most cases. There are practical reasons for this, for instance, the problem of transportation/driving when public transportation is either unavailable or expensive. It's also more expensive to drink in a bar and pay for each individual drink than it is to buy a bottle and drink at home. There's also the issue of who to drink with. There's nothing more unpleasant than drinking with people who judge you for abnormal levels of intoxication. If drinking buddies aren't available, drinking in solitude is certainly preferable.

When I drink socially, I like to drink to certain limit, but I don't truly enjoy reaching the heights of drunkenness until I'm alone. Solitude allows for an amount of freedom and comfort that is lost when around others.
I think you just haven't found the right home bar yet. You find a good divey local and get to know everyone of the regulars they are usually ok with going off the "deep end" as long as it doesn't involve ritual sacrifice. The really great bars let you stay after hours for that.
I don't have anything against the local. I visit mine every once in a while when I'm not being a total recluse.

But again, it's like I said about it being practical. Why pay $6+ a glass when I can spend $12 for a fifth? If you're in the mood to socialize, fine, but most of the time I'm not.

Also, keep in mind I live in Tampa. Virtually no public transportation coupled with sun-bake brain. In most cases, I want nothing to do with the locals, especially the more rural you go.
<@Riddeford> lying on the ground laughing then going to get drunk on a pier. isn't what was fabric was born to do?

<apE> if theyd spend half as much time drinking as they do bitching, itd all be good

<@Fabric> Pint: why do I feel like shit?
<%pint> Fabric: people

<@fiyah> you're unemployed and drunk, you have no standards

User avatar
Patchez
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill
Posts: 5179
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:41 pm
Location: South Central, PA

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Patchez » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:26 am

Fabricsoftner wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:49 pm
Patchez wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:42 pm
Fabricsoftner wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:20 pm
I've reached a point where I'm more comfortable drinking alone than I am with others, in most cases. There are practical reasons for this, for instance, the problem of transportation/driving when public transportation is either unavailable or expensive. It's also more expensive to drink in a bar and pay for each individual drink than it is to buy a bottle and drink at home. There's also the issue of who to drink with. There's nothing more unpleasant than drinking with people who judge you for abnormal levels of intoxication. If drinking buddies aren't available, drinking in solitude is certainly preferable.

When I drink socially, I like to drink to certain limit, but I don't truly enjoy reaching the heights of drunkenness until I'm alone. Solitude allows for an amount of freedom and comfort that is lost when around others.
I think you just haven't found the right home bar yet. You find a good divey local and get to know everyone of the regulars they are usually ok with going off the "deep end" as long as it doesn't involve ritual sacrifice. The really great bars let you stay after hours for that.
I don't have anything against the local. I visit mine every once in a while when I'm not being a total recluse.

But again, it's like I said about it being practical. Why pay $6+ a glass when I can spend $12 for a fifth? If you're in the mood to socialize, fine, but most of the time I'm not.

Also, keep in mind I live in Tampa. Virtually no public transportation coupled with sun-bake brain. In most cases, I want nothing to do with the locals, especially the more rural you go.
Valid points. my niece caught a dui down that way and has a hell of a time getting to her jobs
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

User avatar
oettinger
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed
Posts: 9398
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:23 am

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by oettinger » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:22 am

I made the mistake of going to the bar after my solo mission lasted the whole day already last saturday. When my friends arrived I was already stumbling drunk. Every time I went for a smoke, I had to hold on other people`s backs sitting at the tables. The bartender let it go, cause when I arrived he mistook me for another dude that got 86ed. He realized his mistake quickly and I was on the longest leash ever that night.
One problem outside smoking was, the bar is lokated on a very steep hill. I just couldn`t stop falling down the street. Later that night I tried to get home and fell down the hill pretty badly. Small wounds here and there the next morning.

This weekend will be solo mission only, promised Hugh!
And yes Fabricsoftner is right, going to bars as a heavy drinker every weekend, you have to be kinda rich.
I do not remember posting that ^^^
Image

User avatar
Artful Drunktective
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God
Posts: 2272
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:00 pm
Location: Yautja Prime

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Artful Drunktective » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:19 pm

Fabricsoftner wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:49 pm
Patchez wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:42 pm
Fabricsoftner wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:20 pm
I've reached a point where I'm more comfortable drinking alone than I am with others, in most cases. There are practical reasons for this, for instance, the problem of transportation/driving when public transportation is either unavailable or expensive. It's also more expensive to drink in a bar and pay for each individual drink than it is to buy a bottle and drink at home. There's also the issue of who to drink with. There's nothing more unpleasant than drinking with people who judge you for abnormal levels of intoxication. If drinking buddies aren't available, drinking in solitude is certainly preferable.

When I drink socially, I like to drink to certain limit, but I don't truly enjoy reaching the heights of drunkenness until I'm alone. Solitude allows for an amount of freedom and comfort that is lost when around others.
I think you just haven't found the right home bar yet. You find a good divey local and get to know everyone of the regulars they are usually ok with going off the "deep end" as long as it doesn't involve ritual sacrifice. The really great bars let you stay after hours for that.
I don't have anything against the local. I visit mine every once in a while when I'm not being a total recluse.

But again, it's like I said about it being practical. Why pay $6+ a glass when I can spend $12 for a fifth? If you're in the mood to socialize, fine, but most of the time I'm not.
This is me always at bars unless I'm with friends. The socializing part...meh. I don't want to have to try.
Something's got to be done. We can't go on like this.
I must have some booze. I demand to have some booze!- Withnail


Image

User avatar
Sammy
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:25 pm
Location: Tyler, TX

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Sammy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:33 pm

Every once in a great while I get together with friends for lunch at a local pub. They stuff their faces but I usually do a hydraulic lunch comprised of pints. They all give me funny looks because I am the "drunk" in their midst but many of them are also drunks. It's just that they do not want to admit it. I have no problem admitting I'm a drunk because I don't give a fuck. The only one that will admit it is the reformed drunk in our group who's been undrunk for 16 years now but he was a helluva drunk in his day. But now that he's retired he smokes pot every day, and smokes cigarettes. Some habits will not die. I quit smoking cigarettes 30 years ago but I'll smoke a little weed now and then, as long as I don't have to go anywhere. I can drink a lot but if I drink AND smoke weed? Well, I'll end up bleeding before the night is over so, needless to say, I don't do both very often.

I used to have a gathering at my house every Friday for drinks etc. It was great at first but then people dropped out one after another over time for various reasons. Some were scared to drive home from my house with a buzz. Some had no car and no way to get here. Some moved away. Only one guy stopped coming because I nearly had to beat his ass. He had this pitbull that's the most obnoxious dog I've ever been around, and I love dogs. It would shit all over the yard and then proceed to harass the shit out of my dog. I finally told him that if he brought the dog to my house one more time, I'd shoot the fucker. I guess he took that personal. Haven't seen him since.

Then I started to hang out at a friends house a few times a week, and still do, but I can see that won't last too much longer either because now he has grandkids and they take center stage every time because they're ALWAYS fucking there. So much for drinking with friends. Nothing like knocking back a few beers while a baby screams 3 ft away. No thanks.

The fact is, when you get older, and I'm 58, your circle of friends becomes very small. I've already lost several to the grim reaper, so you have to get used to being alone. I've done it for many years, so it's second nature to me. I do, however, miss the old days when the game was to troll bars and get drunk while hunting for women. I was never very good at that game but it was fun trying. Now, every woman I look at that's my age looks like the Wicked Witch of the West, not that I am much to look at! LOL! I guess that's why they have Hookers in every town!

Hugh
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:38 am
Location: San Diego CA

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Hugh » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:00 pm

Friday night Solo crew checking in! Just took my first sip of vodka, the bottle has been in the freezer all week waiting for tonight. I ate a whole can of fried corned beef hash to blunt the absorption. I plan on staying up until at least 2 A.M. writing poetry. Perhaps this vodka is just the trick I need to make my poetry irresistible to editors.

User avatar
Artful Drunktective
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God
Posts: 2272
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:00 pm
Location: Yautja Prime

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Artful Drunktective » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:08 pm

Hugh wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:00 pm
Friday night Solo crew checking in! Just took my first sip of vodka, the bottle has been in the freezer all week waiting for tonight. I ate a whole can of fried corned beef hash to blunt the absorption. I plan on staying up until at least 2 A.M. writing poetry. Perhaps this vodka is just the trick I need to make my poetry irresistible to editors.

Sounds like my typical weeknight. Maybe substituting Vienna Sausage in a can but yeah I'll be here man. With my vodka and journal in hand.
Something's got to be done. We can't go on like this.
I must have some booze. I demand to have some booze!- Withnail


Image

User avatar
Sammy
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:25 pm
Location: Tyler, TX

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Sammy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:12 pm

Hugh wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:00 pm
Friday night Solo crew checking in! Just took my first sip of vodka, the bottle has been in the freezer all week waiting for tonight. I ate a whole can of fried corned beef hash to blunt the absorption. I plan on staying up until at least 2 A.M. writing poetry. Perhaps this vodka is just the trick I need to make my poetry irresistible to editors.
Can I take your picture? Sorry, couldn't help it! LOL!

Hugh
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:38 am
Location: San Diego CA

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Hugh » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:18 pm

Artful Detective wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:08 pm
Hugh wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:00 pm
Friday night Solo crew checking in! Just took my first sip of vodka, the bottle has been in the freezer all week waiting for tonight. I ate a whole can of fried corned beef hash to blunt the absorption. I plan on staying up until at least 2 A.M. writing poetry. Perhaps this vodka is just the trick I need to make my poetry irresistible to editors.

Sounds like my typical weeknight. Maybe substituting Vienna Sausage in a can but yeah I'll be here man. With my vodka and journal in hand.
You write in your journal when drunk? What's your typical journal entry look like during a night of drinking?

Hugh
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:38 am
Location: San Diego CA

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Hugh » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:20 pm

Sammy wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:12 pm
Hugh wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:00 pm
Friday night Solo crew checking in! Just took my first sip of vodka, the bottle has been in the freezer all week waiting for tonight. I ate a whole can of fried corned beef hash to blunt the absorption. I plan on staying up until at least 2 A.M. writing poetry. Perhaps this vodka is just the trick I need to make my poetry irresistible to editors.
Can I take your picture? Sorry, couldn't help it! LOL!
Image

Hugh
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:38 am
Location: San Diego CA

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Hugh » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:54 pm

Well AD? What have you scribbled in your journal so far tonight?

Post Reply