Vodka Tomatoes

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Vodka Tomatoes

Post by Badfellow »

It's that time of year when the heirloom tomatoes are coming out of my ears. Of course, the downside to tomatoes is that once they're ripe, they tend to spoil rather quickly and therefore must be dealt with decisively.

Too lazy to can? Don't feel like cooking down a massive batch of sauce for sixteen hours straight?

People are prone to forget that alcohol acts as a superb preservative for any number of foods. In this case, the tomatoes are diced into large pieces, packed into a glass jar and then topped off with cheap 80 proof vodka. Salt optional. The resulting product will last for months refrigerated while the neutral character of vodka lets the true flavor of those home grown beauties really shine. Plus you're enriching your food with booze, or your booze with food, depending how you look at it. Use the tomatoes in sauce, bloody marys, or make your own spiked salsa for when your mother-in-law visits and won't shut the fuck up.

Good eating, good drinking to you!
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Vodka Tomatoes

Post by oettinger »

Soak them in wine and garlic
Drink!

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

oettinger wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:46 am
Soak them in wine and garlic
Yes! Yum!

Also, cheap sherry makes a great addition to a pickling brine at a 1:4 ratio with vinegar. Don't forget the salt.

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Badfellow wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:12 am
...Use the tomatoes in sauce, bloody marys, or make your own spiked salsa for when your mother-in-law visits and won't shut the fuck up.

Good eating, good drinking to you!
Goodness gracious sake! Mmm. Rice wine...

*Ahem*

Those heirlooms are curiously named, and aren't they tasty sliced with a little bit of salt.

There was once a matter of the marrys on this board and he would have his pen ideas. Own ideas. Friggin phone.

*ahem*

Look hear young man. Gazpachio Marry

This is talking too long.

Hey! Make a cold vodka based soup. Sorry Badfellow, I be in me two-eared bottle again, but evidently not enough to keep me from posting this dollop

DRINK!

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

The annual garlic crop is in and there is a cosmic Bloody Mary alignment in the very near future! Add to that some Fatalii variety peppers at 250,000 Scoville units. Or if you're simply too whitebread for such madness, we also have some jalapenos and anchos to sizzle your shizzle.

The other thing I've been tinkering with is miso paste... in Bloody Mary mixes, in hot sauces and in marinating meats for slow cook barbecue. What type of miso paste works best? You'll have to determine for yourself, but I will say don't skimp on the quality. It's worth paying a little more for the high grade Japanese stuff from a reputable Asian grocer.

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Artful Drunktective »

Badfellow wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:58 am
The annual garlic crop is in and there is a cosmic Bloody Mary alignment in the very near future! Add to that some Fatalii variety peppers at 250,000 Scoville units. Or if you're simply too whitebread for such madness, we also have some jalapenos and anchos to sizzle your shizzle.

The other thing I've been tinkering with is miso paste... in Bloody Mary mixes, in hot sauces and in marinating meats for slow cook barbecue. What type of miso paste works best? You'll have to determine for yourself, but I will say don't skimp on the quality. It's worth paying a little more for the high grade Japanese stuff from a reputable Asian grocer.
This sounds amazing! All the spicy and raw you can't go wrong but the Miso paste is crazy good, as well as sizzled shizzle.

Kim Chee Base is also a great substitute.
Okole maluna!