[PISSED] Why can't I find anymore good Barleywines?!

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar

Rye and Coke
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

[PISSED] Why can't I find anymore good Barleywines?!

Post by Rye and Coke » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:57 pm

All strong beers are IPAs now, and I'm just not a fan. I mean, I can drink them, but I like my beers on the maltier side, thus my love for barleywines. But for some reason, my local booze hut (its actually a goddamn warehouse full of alcohol -- I should write something about it, it's glorious) just stopped stocking them. I don't know if it's because of their high alcohol content, or if they just went out of style. I thought they were a winter beer.

If anyone has any news on the fate of barleywine styled beers in their area/region, let me know. I know I can't be the only one.
"I feel sorry for people who don’t drink or do drugs. Because someday they’re going to be in a hospital bed, dying, and they won’t know why." - Redd Foxx

scream ale
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Re: [PISSED] Why can't I find anymore good Barleywines?!

Post by scream ale » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:34 pm

That's always a bummer when you can't find your favorite brews at the usual places. As far as barleywines go I haven't seen any in quite sometime. Though to be honest I don't really look for them.

Since you like maltier beers have you considered exploring the world of stouts and porters? Some of my go to's include porters from Smuttynose, Bell's, and Founder's. Victory Storm King and Founder's Breakfast Stout are a pair stouts I go for on occasion. I sometimes go for a couple of brews from Ballast Point: Sea Monster (imperial stout) and Victory at Sea (imperial porter).

Patchez
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Patchez » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:02 am

I have noticed a decline in barley wines. The New England IPAs seem to be the new in thing.

Have you explored Scotch ales and Wee Heavies? Both are similar in malt forward tastes. Also Dopplebocks are a great source of malt forward styles.

I'll second the Stouts and Porters route. Especially BBA, ( bourbon barrel aged) ones.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Badfellow
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by Badfellow » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:22 pm

Barleywine isn't dead. It's just been royally hosed by the rediculous popularity of high gravity IPA. Trust me, malty beers are due to make a return. This overly hopped rubbish can only stand for so long.

R&C, you may have to take it upon yourself to accost the beer buyer of your local liquor hut and insist they put some barleywine on the shelf.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:28 pm

Badfellow wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:22 pm
...Trust me, malty beers are due to make a return. This overly hopped rubbish can only stand for so long...
That's some TRVTH right there pal.

Can we drink now? ---peetie44
At rock bottom, there is no down. ---The Oett
^ ^ ^ Yes his entire cutlery set and all utensils are made from assorted broken bottles.--- The Artful Detective
Just remember Hugh: a good cocktail in a shitty glass is better that a shitty cocktail in a pretty glass.---The Badfellow
I'll buy the first round if you promise to stop being a cunt. --- Dear Booze

scream ale
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by scream ale » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:04 pm

Rye and Coke wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:57 pm
All strong beers are IPAs now, and I'm just not a fan. I mean, I can drink them, but I like my beers on the maltier side, thus my love for barleywines. But for some reason, my local booze hut (its actually a goddamn warehouse full of alcohol -- I should write something about it, it's glorious) just stopped stocking them. I don't know if it's because of their high alcohol content, or if they just went out of style. I thought they were a winter beer.

If anyone has any news on the fate of barleywine styled beers in their area/region, let me know. I know I can't be the only one.
Came across this today at the store

I didn't remember liking barley wines years ago when I first tried them but saw this today and figured what the hell. This time around I kinda liked it. Maybe they'll be in your area in the near future. Assuming they aren't already.

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:35 am

Totally agree.
Go into the city hipster microbreweries and all the shit on board are Mega hop or IPA or some shit.IPA beer was only made to survive from england to india on a boat. I do not want that.
Give me body

pretty drunk right nowe so we'll see how i feel aboot this tomorrow
To be fair, I'm drunker than you.