Rotgut whiskey vs. premium whiskey

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Rotgut whiskey vs. premium whiskey

Post by Hugh »

The first few sips of rotgut whiskey are hard to get down. But after that, it goes down easy. So why should someone pay the price for name brand whiskey when the rotgut shit goes down fine after you get used to it?

When I was looking at the whiskey shelf earlier today, I noticed that Evan Williams is 43 proof while the other bourbons are 40 proof. Does that indicate to you that Evan Williams is trying to get it right, that they care what their customers want? That is the message that I'm getting, but I'm just an outsider sitting alone in a little room wondering how all of this stuff works. If there is a distiller out there who is putting out the extra effort to make drinkers happy, then I am willing to spend and extra dollar from my meager earnings to be his loyal customer.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Re: Rotgut whiskey vs. premium whiskey

Post by Hugh »

I meant per cent, not proof. You know what I mean. You guys know your your shit

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

so if Evan Williams is 43, and Jim Beam is 40, why would anybody choose Beam over Evans?

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Hugh wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:44 pm
so if Evan Williams is 43, and Jim Beam is 40, why would anybody choose Beam over Evans?
Before I knew the board I choose the brown forman product over beam just for taste. Beam white is dishwasher to me.
I wouldn`t agonize about the 3% extra (btw thanks, we europeans totally know our shit ha!).
Same goes for people that claim their beer has 1 percent extra alcohol by volume.
Woah, holy deadbeat-mother of drink, that`s god`s own urin right there. I have to drink that instead of the crap that fits my taste way better
Drink!

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

I think I prefer Beam to EW just cause I found Beam first. Both are fine drinks though.

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

I agree that Beam and EW are both fine drinks -- excellent, top tier value handles, in fact.

And why would someone pay for something other than rotgut? Flavor, or general character, can't be overlooked. There's a whole world of delectable spirits out there. IMO, for instance, a good Scotch can be worth every penny -- just have to find what you like.

Now, as far as the mechanics of getting supremely drunk on the cheap, this is my standard play as well.
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Nausea wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:12 pm
I agree that Beam and EW are both fine drinks -- excellent, top tier value handles, in fact.

And why would someone pay for something other than rotgut? Flavor, or general character, can't be overlooked. There's a whole world of delectable spirits out there. IMO, for instance, a good Scotch can be worth every penny -- just have to find what you like.

Now, as far as the mechanics of getting supremely drunk on the cheap, this is my standard play as well.
Back when the UK was having a referendum on whether or not to let Scotland slip away, I bought shots of Scotch for my friends in the bar. I wanted to UK to remain united, all of my friends wanted Scotland to leave. I asked for the best Scotch in the house, and whatever it was, it was fucking GOOD. I just can't remember what it was. It was like it almost had carbonation in it. it sort of tingled the tongue. If I could only find it again, I would drink it every fucking day until I died.

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

I guess you'll have to go on the adventure of finding it again. Sounds like a worthwhile endeavor.
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Post by Rye and Coke »

While I've ran the gamut from cheap to high-priced, I have a few rules on that:

1.) Never buy an expensive vodka. It's not worth it. I'm just going to mix it anyway. It's pretentious and a burden on your wallet. Thanks for giving me the Notorious B.I.G. Puffy, but you can keep your vodka. Veil Vodka is just as good to me.

2.) "Rotgut" doesn't have to mean cheap. Old Crow, Evan Williams, Old Overholt are classics and are fine if they are up to your tastes. I used to live off of Pikesville Rye, a $12 bottle of discontinued Maryland style rye whiskey. When I think of "rotgut," I think of poorly made spirits that could tear up one's stomach lining.

3.) That being said, if you're going to spend money on liquor, make sure it's tequila or gin. These spirits scare me with how people make them when they're trying to save money. All types of artificial flavorings and chemicals. Paying a bit more, in my mind, means you run a lesser risk of buying something damn near poisonous.

Outside of that, cheers to the gamut and spectrum, I've danced across every color on that sun-kissed rainbow.
"They told me to see the glass half full cause some see it as half empty
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Re: Rotgut vodka vs. premium vodka

Post by Artful Drunktective »

Rye and Coke wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:21 pm
While I've ran the gamut from cheap to high-priced, I have a few rules on that:

1.) Never buy an expensive vodka. It's not worth it. I'm just going to mix it anyway. It's pretentious and a burden on your wallet. Thanks for giving me the Notorious B.I.G. Puffy, but you can keep your vodka. Veil Vodka is just as good to me.
Agreed 100%. Sometimes when the store was out of my beloved bottom shelf Wolfschmidt vodka, I'd have to get something considerably more expensive as they stopped carrying Gordon's and New Amsterdam and other decent affordable brands. And I despise Smirnoff as it has some underlying undesirable taste to me. So it was either that or it jumped up in price to Skyy and Absolut. Not to mention, the handle (gallon or whatever) of expensive vodka are in glass bottles which is very cumbersome compared to the good ol' drunk proof plastic. But if you gave me a blind taste test- even with my same mixers - I would still pick da Wolf every time. It has that bite to it that keeps my drink fizzy unlike the expensive brands that seem more watered down. The only time I want a smooth vodka like Grey Goose or whatever is in a dirty martini.
Okole maluna!

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Post by Rye and Coke »

I LIVED off of Wolf for years until they raised the prices around here. Perfect example of a perfectly fine vodka at a cheap price.
"They told me to see the glass half full cause some see it as half empty
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

I always keep a few good bottles of whiskey in the cupboard but I rarely drink them alone unless its a special occasion. I probably have 4 or 5 litres of beam white in there as that's my go to swill. it's the cheapest none own brand bourbon here in England. It is nice to crack out something with a bit more character when a few buddies are round though.
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

shawnonious
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by shawnonious »

Last edited by shawnonious on Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" -Tom Waits

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Jameson is smooth to me.

I got one rule: Low shelf scotch sux big time. If it was the last drink on earth it would take an hour of counselling to talk me into drinking it
Drink!

RIPT2.0
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by RIPT2.0 »

oettinger wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:16 am

I got one rule: Low shelf scotch sux big time. If it was the last drink on earth it would take an hour of counselling to talk me into drinking it
Or the shakes.