Comfort Drinks

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Dear Booze
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Comfort Drinks

Post by Dear Booze »

I was thinking about something today... "Comfort food" is a pretty subjective term. It's not something that is necessarily good for you, and it might not be enjoyed by the masses. Perhaps it's not a particular dish but, instead, the way a dish is prepared. Eating that food has the ability to transport you to a simpler, safer, and happy time in your life. That's why it's called "comfort food".

Music does the same thing to you. If you can't figure out why you like something that's considered shitty (by most people), think about the first time you heard it. You'll probably find the spot marked with an X.

Do drinks do the same thing? Do you have a type of beer or wine, or cocktail that you (maybe secretly) love? Do you know why you love it? Can you trace your love for that drink back to a certain time or place in your life?

Mine are berry-flavored bottled wine coolers, greyhounds, and micky's big mouth beers.
DRINK!

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: Comfort Drinks

Post by Patchez »

Hamms, Evan Williams, White Russians, and Golden Sunrise.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Genesee and Jim Beam.

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Warm Finlandia vodka in a steel flask at the Fresno State Fair.

Night Train Express/ Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill in a midnight cemetery in Barstow.

Michelob in its weirdly-shaped brown bottle, long with a blue eyed/black haired Co-worker from the Flaky Jake's burger stand in Clovis.

1983, all of these.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

A mixed drink on ice that's almost completely vodka with just a little bit of fruit juice thrown in. It's the burn that's comforting and invokes youthful memories of drunken abandon.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

For me, it's Lagavulin and Caol Ila.

Brings back fond memories of drinking the scotches at my own discretion, without school, work, or financial worries.

Just me and the bottle.

I remember sitting in the tub in complete darkness, drinking Caol Ila straight from the bottle, thinking about whatever -- that's comfort boozing. It's a space that I need to get back to at a special time.
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Post by Rye and Coke »

The now discontinued Pikesville Rye, white label. It was an old Maryland-style recipe (supposedly) that was still kept in stock in Maryland stores and a few Baltimore bars.

It was a perfect doorway rye for newbies and the unfamiliar. Light, floral and great for Manhattans. And Christ the cost was incredible. I held a great affection for the stuff and drank it by the liter.

Slowly but surely I saw bottles begin to vanish from the stores around my way. Pretty soon they were all gone. Sure enough, I read an article some time afterward saying the brand had gone the way of the do-do. So far, nothing's been able to take it's place in my bar.
"They told me to see the glass half full cause some see it as half empty
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

Drinking beer from a 750ml. In NZ, a wooden crate of a dozen longnecks used to be one of the most common ways to buy beer. As a student, standing around sipping from one outside on a sunny day was part of the scenery. Also, while I was single living in Sydney, buying and drinking a longneck while I walked home from work was always good. Hmmm. I feel like one now.

Stendhal
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Stendhal »

Guiness
Everything in moderation, including moderation

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Artful Drunktective »

Seasonal holiday inspired drinks that you would envision enjoying next to the hearth like hot cocoa with Baileys, hot buttered rum, or egg nog and brandy. Stuff I wouldn't normally have except for special occasions for celebrating.
Okole maluna!

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

There are very few drinks that make me feel uncomfortable.

But everything that contains vodka and has a cheap western german pils on the side screams relax, more please
Drink!

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Rye and Coke wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:20 pm
The now discontinued Pikesville Rye, white label.
White label, green writing? 100-something proof? I saw a couple of bottles like that at the liquor store this past weekend.

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Post by Rye and Coke »

Nah, it's white label, black writing. I saw someone trying to sell a bottle of it for close to 60 dollars online. It used to go for 11 dollars, but because it's discontinued he was able to bump up the price. Half of me wants to take him up on it for nostalgia's sake.
"They told me to see the glass half full cause some see it as half empty
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'

Cutbrandy
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by Cutbrandy »

Sailor jerry. Kraken. Caol Ila. Guinness. 5 a.m saint. Krohn Lagrima white port.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

A six pack of Hamm's purchased at Del Mission Liquor right after arriving home after the last day of the workweek on a hot summer day. Beer makes me pee too much, I don't really care for the taste of it, but there's something about getting it in this fashion that feels good. Bukowski often wrote of picking up a six pack (or two) of beer after a day of work, and I guess I'm channeling him when I do it.