Single Malt is best

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

ltwhiskas
Booze Head
Booze Head

Single Malt is best

Post by ltwhiskas »

I'm not a scotch guy, I'll admit, but I might have been if I'd started with single malts rather than garbage lazy blends. Looking at you Johnny walker. I recently assisted my father emptying an old single malt and thoroughly enjoyed it. A Macallan 12.

Anyway, what are your favorite single malt scotches? Or, convince me otherwise.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Single Malt is best

Post by oettinger »

I like my mixer of whiskys.
But can`t deny the taste of a single.
I`d drink both
Drink!

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

Single malt Scotch reigns supreme for me.

Lagavulin 16
Lagavulin 21
Caol Ila 12
Talisker 10
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

ltwhiskas
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by ltwhiskas »

I've heard alot of lagavulin talk. Might have to pony up the coin to try it out.

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

Single malt is great. But in Australia, it doesn’t really work out cost-benefit wise. Low end SM is generally twice the price of a half decent blend. For example, right now at Dan Murphy’s the best deal on SM is Bushmills 10 at $56. There’s Glen Moray for $42 but I dunno if that even counts. It doesn’t have an age statement. Meanwhile Grants is $32. I’ll buy single occasionally, but mostly I save buying it for when I’m in Japan; where all spirits are typically 1/3 of the price in Australia.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Casual Binger wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:15 am
Single malt is great. But in Australia, it doesn’t really work out cost-benefit wise. Low end SM is generally twice the price of a half decent blend. For example, right now at Dan Murphy’s the best deal on SM is Bushmills 10 at $56. There’s Glen Moray for $42 but I dunno if that even counts. It doesn’t have an age statement. Meanwhile Grants is $32. I’ll buy single occasionally, but mostly I save buying it for when I’m in Japan; where all spirits are typically 1/3 of the price in Australia.
32 is rape at the carshier!

20 something in germany
Drink!

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Can you eat a single malted milk ball?
They should make scotch single Maltesers.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

All the ones Nausea listed and

Jura Superstition if you can still find it. Hell any of the Jura line is good.

if these Islays are too smokey for you Glennfiddich or Glenmorangie both have excellent lines of singles.

Oban is another softer, fruitier scotch as well.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

oettinger wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:22 am
32 is rape at the carshier!

20 something in germany
Everything is priced like that in Oz nowadays. Foreign beer is cheaper than shitty Aussie beer etc. Spirits are the least value for money. Wine can be cheap; but only at the unpalatable end of the spectrum. Presumably we’re teetering on the cliff of a massive market correction. The trade off is that wages are high and overseas holidays are cheap.

However, in wish list land - Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Smoky and 48%. Otherwise whatever is on special at the duty free shop.

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

Casual Binger wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:53 am
However, in wish list land - Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Smoky and 48%. Otherwise whatever is on special at the duty free shop.
I'd like to try this one as well. Cask strength whiskeys have my interest. I had Macallan's cask strength 10 many years ago -- I wasn't impressed. It just wasn't balanced well.

I know the local pizza shop, surprisingly, has Laphroaig at the bar. Probably not Quarter Cask, though, but it would be nice to try before purchasing a full bottle.

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Post by Rye and Coke »

I want to taste a really good Scotch one day, but I've never had the opportunity.

You know what, scratch that: I've had PLENTY of opportunities. I've just chosen to go quantity over quality. Well, that ends now. Next time I go to a business function with an open bar and they offer the good stuff, I'm trying out the single malt.

I've just never thought about it. It's always been Rye, Kentucky Whiskey and Bourbon for me.

What are the "notes" of a good single malt. I've had a blended and I thought that was scotch, but seriously, what's the difference between the two?
"They told me to see the glass half full cause some see it as half empty
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

Rye and Coke wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:46 pm
I want to taste a really good Scotch one day, but I've never had the opportunity.
Just buy a wee dram of a Scotch that captivates your interest. Not as good value-wise as a whole bottle, but at least it's noncommittal.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Rye and Coke wrote:

What are the "notes" of a good single malt. I've had a blended and I thought that was scotch, but seriously, what's the difference between the two?
Blend can contain much more cheap grain stuff. If you`re fine with that taste dodge the single malt all the way
Drink!

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Rye and Coke wrote:

You know what, scratch that: I've had PLENTY of opportunities. I've just chosen to go quantity over quality. Well, that ends now. Next time I go to a business function with an open bar and they offer the good stuff, I'm trying out the single malt.

I've just never thought about it. It's always been Rye, Kentucky Whiskey and Bourbon for me.

Which blends have you had? Also which blends have you liked? You can Google most blends and fine the main single malt for the backbone of the blend. Chances are if you liked the blend you'll like the single malt that supports it.

For instance if you liked the Johnny Walker blends Caol Ila is the backbone. Start there.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

Besides just plainly being excellent, Caol Ila is also an excellent introductory Scotch, in my opinion. Not too forward on the peatiness, with a nice balance.