The glass does not define the drink

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

The glass does not define the drink

Post by Savage »

Am I right.
You're damn right I'm right.
Tell me what you think about our drinks, and the glasses you drink them from
like tears in rain

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: The glass does not define the drink

Post by scream ale »

I love drinking out of glasses. Feels more civilized than guzzling straight from the can or bottle. Although that does have its time and place.

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

I discovered Waterford crystal is quite slippery in the shower. Thank goodness for Ebay. Do you have any idea how many people received wedding gifts and never used them? Their loss (and their kids financial gain) remedied that for us.
like tears in rain

RIPT2.0
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by RIPT2.0 »

Whiskey glass for whiskey and a large sturdy glass for mixed drinks.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Have to agree, the drink itself is inherently more important than the glass it's served in. Though the glass itself still holds some bearing on the overall experience, even if it's purely psychological.

Try drinking a Manhattan or a Martini from a plastic sippy cup sometime... sure it still get's you plenty drunk, but you've been robbed of something and you know it.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Badfellow wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:57 pm
Have to agree, the drink itself is inherently more important than the glass it's served in. Though the glass itself still holds some bearing on the overall experience, even if it's purely psychological.

Try drinking a Manhattan or a Martini from a plastic sippy cup sometime... sure it still get's you plenty drunk, but you've been robbed of something and you know it.
I think that there's a reference to such a thing in the signature line below. It was also a sort of highlighted comment...

Can we drink now? ---peetie44
At rock bottom, there is no down. ---The Oett
^ ^ ^ Yes his entire cutlery set and all utensils are made from assorted broken bottles.--- The Artful Detective
Just remember Hugh: a good cocktail in a shitty glass is better that a shitty cocktail in a pretty glass.---The Badfellow
I'll buy the first round if you promise to stop being a cunt. --- Dear Booze

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

I found the most lovely sippy glass. Very adult. Tall as a milkshake glass, with lid and straw. Unfortunately, after almost twenty years of porch sipping, it crashed and broke. Like a broken-hearted widow, I have been unable to replace it. This Halloween, I will probably sip from one of our everyday VEP skull mugs.
like tears in rain

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Artful Drunktective »

When I was doing a lot of traveling for work, I picked up some stainless steel travel coffee cups (the ones that come with lids etc.) to drink my cocktails in while staying at the hotels. Not only does it keep the ice super cold so I'm not always refilling the ice bucket, but it also allows me poor a normal size drink instead of using those tiny water glasses or coffee mugs that are usually the only thing you can find in a hotel room. Now I use them always as they are so practical. Even at home, when you want to sit outside for awhile or even bring your drink on the road they are ready to go, nice, cold, and concealed. The functionality just can't be beat. I even brought Oett one for when we met up and got drunk in the hotel in Vegas instead of leaving him hanging, drinking out of a disposable plastic bathroom cup. I really am a thoughtful drunkard.
Okole maluna!

ThirstyBirdy
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by ThirstyBirdy »

I start proper, with usually a trip to the dollar tree for appropriate glassware that will end up broken somewhere along the way.

I'm a firm believer in frozen mugs for beer. Tastes so much better. Whiskey also doesn't seem to taste right without a proper glass unless taking pulls off the bottle.

Having said all that, on an airplane or a distillery it tastes fine in a clear plastic cup. Scotch and ginger ale is good on the plane.

Now don't get me wrong, ive drank beer out of plastic bowls, whoskey out of wines glasses, cats sleeping with dogs hey hey
Last edited by ThirstyBirdy on Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Something's got to be done. We can't go on like this.
I must have some booze. I demand to have some booze!- Withnail

ThirstyBirdy
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by ThirstyBirdy »

Artful Drunktective wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:00 am
I'm not always refilling the ice bucket, but it also allows me poor a normal size drink instead of using those tiny water glasses or coffee mugs that are usually the only thing you can find in a hotel room.
Never put ice directly into those ice buckets and even wash them out first thoroughly. People use those for puke buckets many times.

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Artful Drunktective »

ThirstyBirdy wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:39 pm
Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:00 am
I'm not always refilling the ice bucket, but it also allows me poor a normal size drink instead of using those tiny water glasses or coffee mugs that are usually the only thing you can find in a hotel room.
Never put ice directly into those ice buckets and even wash them out first thoroughly. People use those for puke buckets many times.
You know that particular thought never occurred to me? I guess cuz I'm a toilet puker in the rare incidents that I do have to. Blaaaaaahhhhh and thank you for that, you reinforced my wariness of using such receptacles.

I mean, of course I washed those nasty things out anyway and use my own plastic bags as bucket condoms in addition to the ones provided. Desperate times = desperate measures. But usually I have an insulated bag on hand that I use for take-out food that I end up using for ice that works even better than the bucket. Damn I really am a resourceful drunkard.
Okole maluna!

ThirstyBirdy
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by ThirstyBirdy »

Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:50 am

You know that particular thought never occurred to me? I guess cuz I'm a toilet puker in the rare incidents that I do have to. Blaaaaaahhhhh and thank you for that, you reinforced my wariness of using such receptacles.

I mean, of course I washed those nasty things out anyway and use my own plastic bags as bucket condoms in addition to the ones provided. Desperate times = desperate measures. But usually I have an insulated bag on hand that I use for take-out food that I end up using for ice that works even better than the bucket. Damn I really am a resourceful drunkard.
Collapsible bucket 👍

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Case-Water-C ... s/29764418