Another Solo Mission - Drinking alone? Post here!

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Hugh »

Artful Drunktective wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:36 pm
Hugh wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:39 pm
Starting at 3 in the afternoon. Summer heat, fan on, blinds down. Got a novel in front of me that I will steal from later tonight when I start writing my own crappy stories.

Where the fook are you true lovers of the booze who drink alone?
I'm fooking here. I'm always the last "man" standing. I don't know if I should cry in my pillow or be proud. Hmm...

And I will snarl at anything outside. Don't go out there. There's people out there.
Aren't you in Hawaii? So that makes it like four in the morning there, right?

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

WTF is going on tonight? Nobody is here? Is everybody on shitbook?

Hey, what can you guys dig up about WFF - Winos for Freedom? I think it's a term invented by Rachel Kushner for her fiction, but maybe it has its roots in something more real.

Aight, back to solo drinking. Windows open, fan blowing.

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Artful Drunktective »

^ ^ ^ Hawaii time is 3 hours behind Pacific time at the moment. (We do not have Daylight Savings so it will be 2 hours in the fall). So I am always behind everyone in time . The last one in the world to celebrate New Year's. Not that I really celebrate that. But I'll drink to that!
Okole maluna!

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Skype you loser
Drink!

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Even though it's past 8 P.M., this box of Franzia feels much too light and I'm headed over to the drugstore for another box. There's no way in hell it will get cold enough in the next few hours for non-grimacing consumption, but it's that or switch to some other booze hidden away in my kitchen somewhere. Mixing different types of booze is a surefire way to a bad buzz.

Dear Booze
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Dear Booze »

Hugh wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:24 pm
Even though it's past 8 P.M., this box of Franzia feels much too light and I'm headed over to the drugstore for another box. There's no way in hell it will get cold enough in the next few hours for non-grimacing consumption, but it's that or switch to some other booze hidden away in my kitchen somewhere. Mixing different types of booze is a surefire way to a bad buzz.
Indeed. I read some shit study recently that says "...the direct effects of alcohol are the same whether you drink wine, beer or spirits. There’s no evidence that different types of alcohol cause different mood states...." it went on to say "People aren’t even very good at recognising their mood states when they have been drinking."

WHAT THE FUCK?

So Gin, made from juniper, and rum made from sugar cane don't effect people differently?

Bullshit.

Funny, I also read a seperate study that showed that people who huff paint get a diffetent high from different colors of paint. Apparently, the various pigments of paint are made up from various different base products. For example, red paint is made from oxidized iron. And white paint is made from titanium dioxides.

So, my point is, if huffers get a different high from different paint colors, then drinkers surely feel different depending on the booze.

Cheers to you, Hugh. I back your decision to NOT mix your booze. Wise choice.

"The more you know"
DRINK!

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Dear Booze wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:56 pm
Hugh wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:24 pm
Indeed. I read some shit study recently that says "...the direct effects of alcohol are the same whether you drink wine, beer or spirits. There’s no evidence that different types of alcohol cause different mood states...." it went on to say "People aren’t even very good at recognising their mood states when they have been drinking."

WHAT THE FUCK?

So Gin, made from juniper, and rum made from sugar cane don't effect people differently?

Bullshit.

Funny, I also read a seperate study that showed that people who huff paint get a diffetent high from different colors of paint. Apparently, the various pigments of paint are made up from various different base products. For example, red paint is made from oxidized iron. And white paint is made from titanium dioxides.

So, my point is, if huffers get a different high from different paint colors, then drinkers surely feel different depending on the booze.

Cheers to you, Hugh. I back your decision to NOT mix your booze. Wise choice.

"The more you know"
Have a shot of tequila after drinking anything else, and you will see what I mean. Tequila is deadly enough on its own. Mix it with anything else and you are asking for a falling down, broken nose episode where you wake up in the morning and find out you have a half dozen less facebook friends than you had before.

Bur

Post by Bur »

Gotta wake up at 5:30 am tomorrow for work, good news is I'll be free to get my day drinking on for couple of days after that. Prolly gonna wander through all the bars that are open at noon on my own. Haven't done that in a while.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Bur wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:35 am
Gotta wake up at 5:30 am tomorrow for work, good news is I'll be free to get my day drinking on for couple of days after that. Prolly gonna wander through all the bars that are open at noon on my own. Haven't done that in a while.
Oh fuck yeah! Drinking in the day is the only way to drink in a bar. I would love to drink in Finland. American writers go there so they can drink and write properly. I've heard that Finns drink more vodka than the drunkest Russian drunk ever even dreamed of.

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

^ It's hard to dream when you're blacked out.

I tend to hate most of my dreams. Utter nonsense consciousness.
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

Bur

Post by Bur »

Ayeeee! Guess who showed up to work at 6 am and was in a bar by noon (not that hard my workplace is ~10 meters from closest bar). Spend couple of hours entertaining the regulars in two bars and got back to my place where cold vodka and wee heavy ales await me. I'm too tired to feel too peopoly due to only getting 2 hours of sleep due to deadline on a completely unrelated project.

Last time I was drinking on Monday it was few weeks back and every place was packed by noon. Then again it was schools ending and helluva hot. Didn't mind the quiet atmosphere one bit though.

Might drop by for some "after work" (prices are like half the usual for pint from 9-18, also cheaper shots bottom shelf shots between 9am and noon - which I aim to exploit tomorrow) beers in my usual haunt, which is located less than 5 minute walk from my apartment. Feels good man.

Cheers folks.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Dear Booze wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:56 pm

Color me blind
Drink!

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

New Bukowski books arrived this week. Sitting here gulping wine and reading. These books have interviews with Buk that I hadn't read before, but because I've read other interviews and letters, it's the same thing said a different way and it gives me a greater understanding of him.

Poured the first glass of wine four hours ago and I'm pretty danged drunk now. I've eaten well, napped all day, and this is a good buzz. That's the key to getting a good buzz (as opposed to a bad buzz), eat and sleep well. And drink alone. That helps. it's okay to drink with other people, maybe even okay to drink a a bar, but alone with your booze is the best. If you are in need of other people, maybe you should ask yourself - is it the booze I love, or the people?

In one of these interviews, Buk said he took Alka Seltzer some mornings. When I was a little kid, like 5 years old, I remember my mom with a glass of Alka Seltzer on the coffee table in front of her, and she was a seasoned honky tonker. Is Alka Seltzer really a good hangover remedy? I've always thought there is no such thing as a hangover remedy. Maybe I'm as wrong about this as I am everything else. What do you guys think of Alka Seltzer?

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Never tried alka. In fact I thought this stuff isn`t sold anymore. It`s so 80s.
Once a friend gave me a sodium tablet for hangover cure. I threw up fountains of salty foam immediately
Drink!

gede
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by gede »

Never had Alka Seltzer but fully agree w/r/t drinking alone, Hugh. Always much worse for wear after having drunk in company; the stress of having to manage oneself and maintain some semblance of functionality just adds another layer to the physical and mental insult of a heavy session.