Another Solo Mission - Drinking alone? Post here!

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Rye and Coke »

Goddamn party is dry! DJ looks like he wants to hang himself, playing 80's hits to a room filled with disinterested geriatrics. Fuuuuck!

At least he's playing New Edition. ..
"They told me to see the glass half full cause some see it as half empty
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Artful Drunktective »

Hugh, where for art thou?
This is an APB placed for Hugh. BOLO in local San Diego wineries, seedy dive bars, literature readings, random sidewalks, curbs, and in and around all Dumpsters. He has not reported back with another solo mission in quite some time so consider this a wellness check.
Okole maluna!

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

I got the PM notification from Oet in my email today. But when I logged in here just now, it doesn't say that I have any PM's. Maybe it was just an email from the board.

One of my New Year's resolutions was to spend less time on social media. That mostly means Facebook, but here, too. My book club forum, too. I think the book forum is glad to see me gone. The few who remain there are all sick and they no longer drink. My drunken posts about drinking and reading were annoying them.

Another resolution was to cut back on going to bars. I haven't been to a bar since Christmas day.

Another was to stop watching stupid music videos, but I can't shake them. I don't understand the pull they have on me. I only watch them when I'm drunk late at night. The next morning I always have an earworm from one of the stupid songs I'd listened to the night before. It makes me wonder - before music became easily available, that is, through records and radio stations, what ran through people's minds on endless loop driving them insane? They must have had perfectly clear minds back then. It also made me realize that there is no way to avoid music. It blasts at work from all the different idiots with different radios all playing their favorite playlists and radio stations. It's in the bars. It's in the grocery stores. It's blasting from the car in the alley behind my apartment.

Will be drinking some sour Peter Vella blush tonight. The sweet stuff goes down too fast. I need this sour shit to pace myself.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Rye and Coke wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:15 am
Took the day off because Jack and Coke and I are going to a party this evening, and also because I just wanted to take the day off.

I'll be doing a lot more of this in the future. I started the day with tequila because old clips of Anthony Bourdain had him traveling to New Mexico and I wanted to drink along. What a wild cat he was. Overcame narcotics, strapped a jetpack of food and booze to his back and like Elton's Rocket Man, blew himself into the outer space of fame and notoriety and purpose.

But goddamn if depression doesn't have one helluva gravitational pull, right?

But it is what it is. That's why I'm taking the day off. I gotta shake these feelings; get back in touch with me, or at least the part of me that made me...I don't know. I don't want to say "productive," nor "content" because they seem like the same word. I guess the best word would be: okay. I'm just trying to get back to okay.

Get myself a jetpack, fly into something better.

Tequila, it was a tequila day at first. Then Bourdain went from New Mexico to Kenya, so I switched to whiskey. Now my stomach is complaining that I need something more, so lunch it is. There's a Mediterranean bar down the street. I've had lunch there before and hated it, but I've never sat at the bar. I think I'll do that.
Solo drinking always gets me back to okay. It doesn't matter how badly things have gotten, once I get alone with my booze, everything is made right. Finding a bunch of poems or stories in the printer the next morning about whatever it was that was niggling me is always a joy, too, even if I don't remember writing it. Especially if I don't remember writing it.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Yes I used the MDM 24 hour premium email and hooker service to contact you.
Usually reserved for prime intakers I thought it was worth a try.

So:

New years resolutions are complete bullcrap.
It`s for the weak minded that need some extra kick in their lazy ass.
Post more, post drunk, post often. We value your drunk gibberish very highly around these corners!
We care, because we drink

I think I`d drink the sour even faster than the sweet. It`s my type of mixer.

AD is going to bed, SOLO Mission
Drink!

RIPT2.0
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by RIPT2.0 »

Ah Hugh. I have ear worms all the time. I never know what to do with them, especially when they're really annoying. So, I just erase the memory tapes with more booze and weed. I don't know what else to say.

I wish I could be clever but I've never owned a Rolex watch. Some people seems to think that an overly expensive time piece defines the man. I never liked watches, so I have never worn one.

Here's the other thing. Fuck anybody that doesn't like you. And I mean that. If they don't like you, then they don't get you. That's ok but it means they're not worthy.

I was going to try to come up with something really pithy to conclude this post but I can't. I'm either too stupid, or too smart, for my own good. I can't tell the difference at this point.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Sammy wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:30 pm
I'm either too stupid, or too smart, for my own good. I can't tell the difference at this point.
That's when you know you are right in the sweet spot of booze. Keep on keeping on Sammy!
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Stendhal
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Stendhal »

Finishing off a Weds evening. Pretty decent bar scene for a Weds.

Aftercall, at home drinking Miller Lite sixpack plus Famous Grouse scotch and soda.

As an aside, strongly recommend Famous Grouse to each and every person on the forum, tastes like Dewars White Label at half the price, which makes since the Macallan is one of the whiskeys blended in the mix.

Also, Lucky Strike smokes are fucking awesome.
Everything in moderation, including moderation

Stendhal
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Stendhal »

Everything in moderation, including moderation

RIPT2.0
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by RIPT2.0 »

Stendhal wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:26 am
Finishing off a Weds evening. Pretty decent bar scene for a Weds.

Aftercall, at home drinking Miller Lite sixpack plus Famous Grouse scotch and soda.

As an aside, strongly recommend Famous Grouse to each and every person on the forum, tastes like Dewars White Label at half the price, which makes since the Macallan is one of the whiskeys blended in the mix.

Also, Lucky Strike smokes are fucking awesome.
I didn't know that part of the Famous Grouse was Macallan. I absolutely LOVE Mcallan. It's my favorite single malt by far.

I don't smoke anymore but I used to love Players Navy Cut filterless cigarettes. They kick ass. I don't even know if they make them anymore.

https://pixels.com/featured/2-players-n ... -post.html

I also used to love Chesterfield filterless cigs when I could find them. Damn, I'm old.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxhist=0

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Went to a bar yesterday for the first time this year. it went all right, I guess. At one point I did try to get a couple of people to dance, but they declined. The morning shift bartender stayed afterward drinking and shooting pool with a rich guy. And the rich guy was not her husband. Certainly everybody noticed. And certainly she knows they noticed, but does not care. But anyway, I sat on my barstool for 9 hours and went home. It's when I do a pub crawl that I get into trouble. No trouble last night. But I did stop at two restaurants on the way home. Why would I eat that much? Bah.

“Don't bother with churches, government buildings or city squares. If you want to know about a culture, spend a night in its bars.” Hemingway. Not really sure what this says about San Diego. Are its people beer snobs, or wannabe beer snobs?

And now it's back to the good stuff - solitude, a new book, and wine. My mood is good, so the drunk will be good. The weather is good, too. Warm dry desert air. People always say these Santa Ana weather conditions blow desiccated rat turds from the desert to the coast and we inhale them here. That's what causes our runny noses. But they're not giving credit to the other desert animals who shit just like the rats do. Certainly we are breathing their desiccated fecal matter, too.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

I had a new poem published last week. It's about one of the women at my favorite bar who sits alone on the smoking patio drinking and drawing. I asked someone who is friends with her to forward the poem to her on Facebook. She came into the bar last night, but I was already drunk, and I don't remember what she said. I think she was smiling when she mentioned it to me, but I can't be sure.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Ask her again, she will love it.

I wouldn`t like to dance ever, don`t try. Bloody nose and fuck off. (Just in case we will ever meet one day...)
Drink!

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

I guess I'm just lucky that someone hasn't bloodied my nose yet. But when those 80's rock tunes come over the jukebox, I can't control myself.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Did a deep clean in the apartment today - including sanding the mold/mildew off the bedroom walls. I also sprayed them with a bleach solution, so now my bedroom smells like bleach and decaying mildew. But it is CLEAN.

My big plan was to do laundry while the Superbowl was on, figuring that since everybody would be watching the game I'd have the laundrymat to myself. But everyone else had the same idea, and it was packed in there. Who the fuck goes to the laundrymat with their phone to watch the Superbowl? Fecking jagoffs. The bars down the street are quiet now, the game must be over.

First glass of wine poured. Floors are spotless, rugs are vacuumed, the bed has clean sheets and blankets on it. And new pillows too! I threw out the old Rogaine-stained pillows.

It's gonna be a good drunk tonight. There's nothing better than drinking alone in a clean apartment. Maybe I'll finish that short story about an ex-con paroled because he was getting sick and costing the state too much money. Now he sits alone in a room drinking cheap beer, waiting to die of leukemia, and reminiscing about the crimes he got away with.