Another Solo Mission - Drinking alone? Post here!

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Re: Another Solo Mission - Drinking alone? Post here!

Post by Rye and Coke »

Great, my belly button sticks out now....
"They told me to see the glass half full cause some see it as half empty
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Post by Rye and Coke »

Rye and Coke wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:36 pm
Great, my belly button sticks out now....
What the hell was this about?
"They told me to see the glass half full cause some see it as half empty
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

One of the employees complained to management about me. He told them that I upset him with my manner of speaking. ("What the fuck were you even looking for when you thought you had a wrong order? You just need to mind your own business and let management fix their own fuckups!" That's pretty much all I said to him.) His being a busybody ended up costing me, AND him, about 30 minutes worth of stupid damage control. The lower level manager came to me and asked me my side of the story, and I thought that might be the end of it - I was not written up. The manager actually laughed about it. But - later in the shift the employee was escalating it up the the next level. I guess I'll hear about it again next week. I'm not upset about potentially being written up, I'm peeved that this guy made a big deal out of this little thing and that he said nothing to me about it at all. Bah. A couple other employees told me that they think it is silly as well, but I don't know if they were authentic or not. Perhaps they were just trying to get me to tell them my side of the story, too. I just blew them off. Frankly, I'm kind of looking forward to this becoming an HR issue. I'll see if I can make a serious HR manager laugh about it all as well.

So at the end of the day and the end of the week, I get to drink alone. An asshole hated by everybody. Bah.

I made sure to eat a light dinner so that the booze can efficiently reach my brain in a timely manner.

There's a YouTube channel where a woman goes out into the deserts of California and Nevada exploring abandoned buildings. She finds some pretty wild stuff out there in the middle of nowhere. But how do people live out there in the remote desert? What is their diet like? What do they do when they get an abscessed tooth? How do they keep their booze cold? How do they keep their food and booze from going to ruin when the temperature rises above 120 degrees for days on end? Those places she finds look idyllic. I'd love to live out there all alone! But it isn't practical. BTW, she even went out to the old Charles Manson site. There's still an abandoned truck out there that everyone thinks belonged to Charles Manson, but the locals out there know that it actually belonged to one of his followers. Tourists go out there and take pics of themselves in it. I researched living out in the remote desert, and there used to be a program where the federal government would let people take over abandoned cabins just so that the government would not have to got out there and destroy them it was called Adopt A Cabin. But it's been canceled. That would be life's greatest joy - to sit out in the desert miles away from anybody or anything, all alone in your cabin during a windstorm, sipping wine and reading a good book.

Does it really matter how far away other people are as long as they're on the other side of my walls?

One of the lit sites I follow on Facebook doesn't have a submission guidelines page. I asked in the Facebook comments section if anybody had a link to it. No answer. Then tonight, the editor sent me an email telling me I could submit, but he still didn't offer any guidelines, such as if they accepted fiction, world limits, etc. All I've ever seen on their Facebook posts was poetry, but I wanted to try some fiction out on them that I thought might fit into their motif. So I submitted a 4000 word short story a few minutes ago, and now I wish I hadn't. What right to I have to ask this guy to read 11 pages worth of my crap when all he wants to do is read stupid little poems? I fucked up. Too late now. I can't take it back. I do so much stupid shit when I'm drunk. This is why I just want to retreat to some remote cabin out in the desert. Not so I can get away from the world, but so they can get away from me.

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Artful Drunktective »

Hugh wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:04 am

A. So at the end of the day and the end of the week, I get to drink alone. An asshole hated by everybody. Bah.

B. I made sure to eat a light dinner so that the booze can efficiently reach my brain in a timely manner.

C. Does it really matter how far away other people are as long as they're on the other side of my walls?
A. Nothin' wrong with drinkin' alone! And who cares what those assholes think anyway. They're a bunch of assholes. And us drunkards always have your back for when you want some drinking company.

B. Yes most definitely the right thing to do.

C. Yes, yes it does. You are still inadvertently part of their bullscheisse if you are close enough to see them, hear them, smell them, what have you.

When we first met oettinger on Skype, he was living in a flat in the city. He was always pissed off at the people and noise outside, whether it be motorcycles, loud music, or obnoxious stupid people. He would frequently ask where his "mini-gun" or "flamethrower" was in order to jokingly be rid of such disturbances.
Now we live in the countryside and he wants to flame-throw people that are hiking and having fun, walking their dogs, etc. But at least the complaining is less frequent having less exposure to people.
Okole maluna!

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Artful Drunktective wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:37 am
When we first met oettinger on Skype, he was living in a flat in the city. He was always pissed off at the people and noise outside, whether it be motorcycles, loud music, or obnoxious stupid people. He would frequently ask where his "mini-gun" or "flamethrower" was in order to jokingly be rid of such disturbances.
[/color]
I went from a city to the burbs. Someday I hope to go out to where the buses don't run. I just need easy access to the three b's: bread, beer and bourbon. Oh yeah and electricity. No stereo, no peace. So three b's and an e.

whiskeyprick
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by whiskeyprick »

scream ale wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:32 pm
Artful Drunktective wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:37 am
[/color]
I went from a city to the burbs. Someday I hope to go out to where the buses don't run. I just need easy access to the three b's: bread, beer and bourbon. Oh yeah and electricity. No stereo, no peace. So three b's and an e.
that's pretty key
Gambling is a disease, but it's the only one you can win a ton of money for having - Norm Macdonald

RIPT2.0
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by RIPT2.0 »

I'm just hoping for a bowel movement. That's the best I can look forward to in the near future.

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Try two shots of exlax for every one shot of liquor and three shots exlax for every 12 oz beer. See if that don't get the party going.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Coffee smokes and greasy food
Drink!

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Just finished a good book that I think most people here would like - Beggars of Life by Jim Tully. Tully was a hobo in USA in pre-WW II days. The thing I like about this book is its honesty - it doesn't portray the poor as an oppressed people who are victims of the rich and powerful. In fact, at the end of the book he sums up by saying most of them are downright fucking scumbags (I'm paraphrasing here). My favorite story was where he tells of a hobo encampment near a railroad and they are all drinking liquor from a barrel that had been stolen. Most of the people in the encampment are white, and when a black hobo pours himself a drink, the white people tell him to get away. It turns out that the black hobo was the one who had stolen it, making it his liquor in the first place. A fight ensues, two other blacks come to assist the black hobo who was attacked, but there were too many whites and the blacks were defeated in a most brutal manner. When Tully writes of this, he doesn't make it look like blacks are just helpless victims of white supremacy, but he writes honestly about how they are outnumbered and mistreated out there where there is no justice system. It got to me because the black man who had stolen the liquor took it to the camp to share it with everyone, and they all turned against him. It matches up with what I experienced in my younger years when I was a runaway - there is no kindness out there, at least not down in the bottom of society. Trust no one.

That's why I stuck this post in the Solo Mission thread. You are your only friend, you are the only one you can trust. At least out in the margins of the world.

I'm doing the solo mission tonight because I don't want to go on Skype after I saw a pretty fierce argument breakout last night. It sprung up out of nowhere, as if the two of them already did not like each other. It was the kind of snappiness that would make a bartender rap her knuckles on the bar and tell them to cool it. I tried to play peacemaker, but my memory is a little fuzzy. I don't remember if I was successful or not.

Shot Time
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Shot Time »

What the fuck this has 48 pages now? Ah Mayhem would be proud

Not much has changed except my girlfriend is my wife now and I’m 2 bottles deep in the wine. We have a house that I’ve absolutely loaded to the gills with booze.

She is, of course, still at work. Somebody gotta pay the mortgage.

In the meantime I’m ON ANOTHER SOLO MISSION, watching hockey, genuinely happy that my liver enzymes are actually normal.
Use to be cool

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

That`s awesome Shot Time, good to see oldtimers post again.

Two years from now:
What the fuck this has 96 pages now? Ah Mayhem would be proud
Not much has changed except my wife is my ex-wife now and I’m 4 bottles deep in the shine. We had a house that was absolutely loaded to the gills with booze.
In the meantime I’m ON ANOTHER SOLO MISSION, watching the wall, genuinely happy that my liver enzymes aren`t actually any worse.
Drink!

Shot Time

Post by Shot Time »

oettinger wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:25 am
That`s awesome Shot Time, good to see oldtimers post again.

Two years from now:
What the fuck this has 96 pages now? Ah Mayhem would be proud
Not much has changed except my wife is my ex-wife now and I’m 4 bottles deep in the shine. We had a house that was absolutely loaded to the gills with booze.
In the meantime I’m ON ANOTHER SOLO MISSION, watching the wall, genuinely happy that my liver enzymes aren`t actually any worse.
Whew lad that is a depressing thought
Use to be cool

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

i watch the video and I think that i belong like i participate in it with all of them but it is all bullshit I am not one of them. they all fit in with each other and they know all the things. they are all out there having a good time together. i don't know what they do. they all know what to do and they all k now what to say. I can't figure it out. i always fuck it all up. why can't i just leave them alone to have their good time. I keep butting in and ruining it for them

RIPT2.0
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by RIPT2.0 »

Hugh wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:44 am
i watch the video and I think that i belong like i participate in it with all of them but it is all bullshit I am not one of them. they all fit in with each other and they know all the things. they are all out there having a good time together. i don't know what they do. they all know what to do and they all k now what to say. I can't figure it out. i always fuck it all up. why can't i just leave them alone to have their good time. I keep butting in and ruining it for them

That's why I have to be in just the right mood to skype. I'm so much older than most of you that I feel like that creepy old guy that shows up at a frat party looking to pick up chicks. Nobody knows who I am , and everyone is afraid to ask, so they just stare.