undrunkenness Chips

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Dear Booze
Drinking God's Good Scotch

undrunkenness Chips

Post by Dear Booze »

We all know about the little mementos that members of Alcoholics Anonymous carry in their pockets which serve as a constant reminder of the importance of undrunkenness: A small token imprinted with a milestone anniversary such as "One Month", "Three Months", "One Year", etc, and a slogan such as "the day my new life began”, or "God grant me the strength..." You get it. It's like a merit badge for NOT doing something.

For many years, I've heard stories that bartenders will accept one of those chips as cash for a drink. The stories go on and include tales of particular bartenders who actually make it their hobby to collect the tokens and yet other stories that describe a friendly competition among several bartenders to see who can collect the most.

I want to believe that these are more than just stories; I don't like the idea that these are “everybody knows” tales that can be lumped in with "The Mouse in the Coke Bottle," and the kid from Life Cereal commercials dying from ingesting a whole pack of Pop Rocks.

Over the past day or so, I've discussed this premise with several people of all ages, backgrounds and geographic locations. Each of them provided their own theories, stories, and thoughts. Our own Frank Kelly Rich even shared a "factual" story about The Lion's Lair, a Colfax Avenue dive in Denver that would routinely follow the practice of accepting the AA tokens as cash. But he admitted that he had never seen it first hand and thinks maybe everyone is becoming too "politically correct."

I've decided to make it a mission to prove or disprove this notion. I found a place that has some AA chips and I ordered two dozen. They were surprisingly inexpensive, so if this works, I'll be drinking cheap.

My plan is to post updates to this experiment here.
DRINK!

RIPT2.0
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Re: undrunkenness Chips

Post by RIPT2.0 »

I don't have any AA chips but I found some drink chips from 20 years ago. I wonder if they'll still work?

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Dear Booze wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:47 am
We all know about the little mementos that members of Alcoholics Anonymous carry in their pockets
No
/end thread
Drink!

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Do you think you'll get more booze for a 5 year chip over a 30 day chip?

If so I'm going to AA meetings out of state and trying to lie my way into a 1,3,5 year chip.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

Patchez wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 8:03 am

If so I'm going to AA meetings out of state and trying to lie my way into a 1,3,5 year chip.
If I were to write the rules, anything under 1 year should get you a beer or a well drink; 1 year would get you a call; 3 year gets you a top shelf; and 5 year gets you a super premium.

To avoid cutting into valuable drinking time by attending meetings, buy them online. They're cheap. https://www.thetokenshop.com/AACoins.html?amp=1

Now we need to see if this shit really works.
DRINK!

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Dear Booze wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:39 am
Patchez wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 8:03 am

If I were to write the rules, anything under 1 year should get you a beer or a well drink; 1 year would get you a call; 3 year gets you a top shelf; and 5 year gets you a super premium.

To avoid cutting into valuable drinking time by attending meetings, buy them online. They're cheap. https://www.thetokenshop.com/AACoins.html?amp=1

Now we need to see if this shit really works.
I like the illuminaty/freemason design, totally fits the purpose
Drink!

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Do these undrunkenness chips come in sour cream n' onion flavor? I'm asking for Oettinger's friend Stefan who is, by all accounts, a garbage bag full of discarded dildos.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

A 24 hour chip? Really?

Some people gots it bad.
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Post by Rye and Coke »

god's work is being done here.
"They told me to see the glass half full cause some see it as half empty
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

First try: I used a chip at Double Down Saloon. It worked like a charm. The bartender exchanged it for an Ass Juice shooter. I used a back story about AA for three months, losing interest, yada, yada, yadda. No questions asked. She took the chip.

An hour and a half later, we left and everyone at the bar congratulated me on finishing "undrunkenness".
DRINK!

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

Second try: The cocktail waitress at Dino's Lounge took it, but charged me full price. She just wanted it as a souvenir.
DRINK!

TheDrunkardAnglo
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by TheDrunkardAnglo »

Fucking hell this is at least a bloody vice documentary waiting to happen. Where is your film crew?
Major Strasser: What is your nationality?
Rick: I'm a drunkard.
Captain Renault: That makes Rick a citizen of the world.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

TheDrunkardAnglo wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:13 pm
Fucking hell this is at least a bloody vice documentary waiting to happen. Where is your film crew?
Agreed. It would be perfect for them.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Hilarious!

Worth five drunk-coins
Drink!

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Post by Rye and Coke »

Dear Booze wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:15 pm
Second try: The cocktail waitress at Dino's Lounge took it, but charged me full price. She just wanted it as a souvenir.
Ugh, did she at least tell you she was going to charge you? If so, she should've just let you keep the chip.

She literally took money from you.
"They told me to see the glass half full cause some see it as half empty
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'